1920s game footage from Cartier Field and Soldier Field
by ShermanOaksND (2017-03-19 14:40:28)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

This is from the Notre Dame Archives YouTube account, which sadly has only four posted videos. This was posted nearly 2 years ago, but this is the first time I've seen it. It's titled "Notre Dame Football 1927-1931," but I think we can narrow it down to 1927-1929. The footage (which is silent) appears to be from at least 2 games at Cartier Field (which hosted its final ND game in 1928) and a ND-USC game at Soldier Field (we played them there in 1927 and 1929).

Cartier was a wooden structure and out of date even in the late 1920s, but it looks better than the monstrosity that is becoming Crossroads.

Love it. How did you narrow it to 1927-29? Thanks! *
by oldtownirish  (2017-03-21 13:27:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cartier's last season was 1928, and 1927 and 1929
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-03-21 13:48:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

were the only two times we played USC in Soldier Field. I caught a glimpse of the scoreboard that had "SC" and "ND." It is possible that the footage includes ND-Army at Soldier Field in 1930, but it's difficult to tell in black and white.

Idiots....trying to (successfully) grow grass in that spot
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-03-21 00:40:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That must have been Field Turf. Just tough to see in the grainy video.

Those were in the pre-global warming days.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2017-03-21 13:50:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's just too hard to grow grass these days. Times have changed. We need to move on.

Let me put it this way . . .
by IrishJosh24  (2017-03-21 11:50:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ever heard of Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian? Morons.

Edit to add: Credit to The Princess Bride, in case anyone does not immediately get the reference.

Unfortunately, with a silent film you can't hear Crazy Train
by Frank Drebin  (2017-03-20 16:00:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Crazy Train" was Rockne's favorite song. He always insisted it be played often and very loud. Rockne always wanted to drown out the marching band. Rockne always said that a live marching band had no business at a Notre Dame Football game

I had figured it would be "Dream Train"
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-03-20 17:53:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jump to 5:50 of this video. Of course, back in the Cartier Field days, ND partisans couldn't enjoy such tunes until they got home to the old victrola.

Is that a dog on the
by 2shedsjackson  (2017-03-20 11:18:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

field? At about 2:31 mark it looks like a dog running on the field. Mascot maybe?

Clashmore Mike *
by Rockbrig97  (2017-03-20 14:19:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

imagine the stud fees... run this one by Swarbrick
by southshoredawg  (2017-03-20 11:32:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Think of all the alumns who could buy into the ND lineage by having son of son of Clashmore Mike the XXI.

Offset the season tickets reductions.

We'd probably have to chip in to subsidize his hanger-on
by SWPaDem  (2017-03-20 12:32:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

progeny.

When were white jerseys invented?
by Hipster  (2017-03-19 23:10:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can you imagine being a referee and trying to call possession after a fumble??

Geez, you'd have to check their driver's licenses.

Those jerseys could be red and blue - both show up dark
by 88_92WSND  (2017-03-22 19:37:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on B&W emulsion.

When phosphates were introduced to laundry detergent. *
by diesel  (2017-03-20 11:11:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

around the time of tv broadcasts
by gozer  (2017-03-20 02:37:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mostly because early tvs didn't have color, so you couldn't tell blue from red from green, so they made one team have to wear white for the cheapskates who didn't buy a ticket.

Some teams wore white jerseys earlier than that
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-03-20 09:28:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know a few wore white as early as the 1930s. But ND didn't first wear white until 1955, I believe. Oddly enough, that was for a home game, the opener against SMU. I think it's the only time ND ever has worn white at ND Stadium.

Green used to be ND's counterpart to white. ND wore green on the road as late as 1962 (look for photos at linked ChiTrib archive story) at USC and 1963 at Purdue (see below clip).

I think that was the timing and intent
by gozer  (2017-03-20 14:42:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when it got put into the rule book, however.

I only know it was in the rule book as of 1983
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-03-20 17:30:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the specific rule required the visiting team to wear white in all games. This was a change from custom for schools like LSU and Georgia Tech, which had worn white at home for years. (GT did wear gold jerseys at home and on the road versus ND from 1968-1970; ND wore white in the 1969 road game and blue at home in 1968 and 1970. GT wore white at home vs. ND in 1967, 1974, 1976, 1978, and 1980.)

Before 1983, I doubt there was a rule in place, unless it said the teams' jerseys had to sufficiently contrast. USC and UCLA always had worn their "home" jerseys when they played one another. UCLA also frequently wore their powder blues when other opponents wore their "home" colors -- e.g., against Ohio State both in the 1975 regular season in LA and the 1976 Rose Bowl. And the last time I recall a visiting team at ND wearing "home" jerseys was 1978, when Tennessee wore orange and lost to green-clad ND.

The following year in Knoxville, ND wore white (and got shellacked in Devine's worst defeat as ND coach).

After the 1980 game at GT (a depressing 3-3 tie), ND didn't wear "home" jerseys on the road again until 1997 at LSU, the year the rule was changed to permit the home team to wear white if the visitors consented.

That was great. Thanks. *
by Fresno Mike  (2017-03-19 22:17:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ditto.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-19 23:11:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It had to be hard to tell home from visitors, given that only the referees wore white.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.