It was wonderful.
by mkovac (2017-03-14 19:16:44)
[ Delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Mike Gillette missing his FG for Michigan in 88.  posted by Otter

I really, really don't like having to witness an opponent with the ball and one second on the clock with them within striking distance.

When Gillette hit the kick, I didn't know if it was good or not, but I was on the Michigan side of the field around the 50 and Chris Zorich turned around and with the ball in the air, looking like it was good, Zorich put his hands up in victory and then the ball drifted wide right by about a foot.

To this day, I have no idea how he was the first person in the stadium to know it was no good.

But, it was glorious.

I remember it being a nice, warm evening, and enjoying the look of the brand new Michigan uniforms and helmets. They were all dressed up for the prom, so to speak and I considered it a high honor that they showed up in new gear. The Musco lights gleamed on their Dartmouth helmets and the pants did actually have a "Maize" look to them.

But, in many ways it was a frustrating game for ND's offense: no offensive td's. A Ricky Watters punt return for 6, a Reggie Ho extra point to make it 7 for ND and then 4 field goals for Reggie.

The next week, ND didn't get it's first offensive td of the year until the 2nd Qtr against MSU, if I recall correctly.

But we won, and that's what makes the memory.

As the conductor on an Irish train to Killarney said to a young, married German couple in the same car as I, "Memories are sweeter than dreams."

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.