The disease had deeply infected the football program back in
by ArasEra (2017-03-14 16:49:44)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Here's just one of the many symptoms - an Observer column written by none other than Cappy "Cathy" Gagnon. It's full of snide remarks and pomposity as only the suck-up apologists do so well.

How do you like us now, Cathy?

Scroll down to page 13 in the Observer.

Cathy gonna Cathy. It reads like a parody written by someone
by dubirish  (2017-03-18 23:03:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who posts on NDN

I really wish I hadn't read that. Now I'm angry. *
by milhouse  (2017-03-17 22:44:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This might be a good place
by HTownND  (2017-03-15 15:13:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To recount Cash's experience with the sniper eyes and Cappy's Crew, which was roughly around this time, or shortly after this.

PS - I went to that Tennessee game, and despite our sucking, it was a great experience. Everyone should hit up a game there at some point.

I may be misremembering but:
by Saxattack29  (2017-03-15 10:58:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did he once put, in writing, an exhortation for ushers to be 'little Nazis' or some such things when it came to stamping out certain behaviors?

"Slurred Speech & Stumbly!"
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-03-15 12:19:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beer makes you stupid!

I believe it was spelled "slured" *
by Irish Tool  (2017-03-15 15:05:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good old Cappy Cagnon... haven't thought about him since
by JoyceSouthGater  (2017-03-15 08:32:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the 2008 season and the beating my wife took at the hands of a drunk slob fatfvck scUM fan up in sect. 108.
Watched the entire 2nd half of the game in the Memorial ER while ND security, ushers and ultimately Cappy, himself, let the guy walk.
Argued with Cappy for weeks before he finally agreed to have ND pick up my wife's medical bills.

Complete schmuck.

Wait--what?
by Giggity_Giggity  (2017-03-15 12:29:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How on earth did they let the guy walk?

Yep. Posted this story the Monday after it happened. Two
by JoyceSouthGater  (2017-03-15 13:58:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

fat fuck Michigan slobs right behind us. As soon as Clausen hit Tate for the 50 yard bomb to put us up 21-0 (I think) one of them chucked by brother from behind, almost sending him over the railing in 108. I grabbed the guy and pulled him down on me, while the other was punching wildly.
Ushers and police came up and got the guy off of me. Once I stood up I found my wife standing in the aisle with her face split wide open and gushing blood.
They took us down to the med center in the stadium and rushed us off to Memorial's ER.
When I followed up with ND that Monday Cappy told me ND police let the guys go, without even getting their names. Then tried blaming me for the fight "we started with 2 Michigan fans behind us".
I argued back and forth with that asshole for weeks until he finally agreed to pick up the medical expenses.
There was surveillance footage of ND cops walking the 2 fat fucks to the gate and then letting them go.

may I ask?
by irishrock  (2017-03-14 21:42:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who's idea was it to give the delta bravo a column every other week to spew his idiotic version of events?

Who could possibly have thought this was a good idea?

"Joe Moore smoked at practice..."
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-14 23:01:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does the writer realize how much he offended my delicate constitution? Good grief. Yes, I am aware he died of lung cancer.

And Lou smoked a pipe at practice at times.
by Moff  (2017-03-15 00:04:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of our jobs was to make sure there were matches in his golf cart. I tell ya these guys were more beast than man.

There is a big difference between smoking a pipe and
by gadomer  (2017-03-15 08:52:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

smoking unfiltered Camel cigarettes.

A former ND player played against a Joe Moore-led team in HS. As he tells it, his team was the toughest opponent he had ever played against. They were hard-hitting and intense. The image he will never forget was watching Joe Moore's halftime screed.
In those days, the teams did not go into the locker room at halftime; they took a huddled position off the field. Joe Moore had his team about 40 yards away. My friend watched in awe as Joe Moore reamed out his team while constantly smoking what looked like unfiltered Camel cigarettes.
My friend's team won that game 7-6, but maintains they were lucky to leave that field alive.

I watched Midway last night with my daughter you know.
by Moff  (2017-03-15 15:02:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She is studying WWII at school. During the scene where Bull Halsey (Robert Mitchum) is stuck in the hospital and goes on a bit of a rant, I pointed out to her the difference in guys from that era and say, Justin Bieber. She smiled and agreed. Rest In Peace, Coach Moore (and Joe Camel)

So what you're saying is that Robert Mitchum could take
by SWPaDem  (2017-03-15 16:24:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Justin Bieber. Never saw that coming!

Petula Clark said it years earlier: It's A Sign Of The Times *
by ArasEra  (2017-03-14 22:37:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why did you have to make me think of that man again?
by IrishLep  (2017-03-14 20:54:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fuck him. If there ever was somebody who represented all that is not ND, it was this enormous tool. Looking back on that era and the fucking dickheads that ran the university, it's amazing that we still have sports and the stadium isn't the home of the LARP team

Holy crap.
by captaineclectic  (2017-03-14 20:27:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I knew he was a piece of crap, but that was worst than I expected.

Met him once. A real piece of work.
by Irishintheville  (2017-03-14 20:02:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice picture of Duke on page 6.

If only someone could have warned
by The Holtz Room  (2017-03-14 19:41:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Paul McCartney!

He's a twat. Always was, always will be. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2017-03-14 19:25:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Became a security guard and thought he owned the campus *
by thethinman  (2017-03-14 19:51:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a dick. Is he still at ND? *
by 1978Irish  (2017-03-14 18:46:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

long gone *
by brnd  (2017-03-14 18:48:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The man was the complete opposite of Nostradamus.
by Otter  (2017-03-14 18:38:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everything he said was proven wrong.

Davie sucked. Doherty sucked. Wadsworth was proven to be a liar.

My favorite example of just how stubbornly wrong he was
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-03-15 12:28:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cappy would occasionally give tours of the stadium. One line he always loved to tell people was that the endzones in ND's stadium had always been the slanted line, and had never had any design in them. After the tour I suggested to him that the info on the end zones wasn't exactly right, that we had, at times, put logos or designs in our end zones. He insisted "Nope, never had 'em. Always been lines."

Now, I had a picture in my dorm room (not the one shown below), scanned it, and sent him an email with it attached, pointing out that he might include the rare occasions in his tour info. He responded "Picture is fake. I've been here way longer than you and I've never seen anything but stripes."

Complete piece of shit.

And, for proof:

Wasn't there a logo for the 150th anniversary in '92?
by IrishJosh24  (2017-03-15 13:06:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm fairly certain I've seen images of the 150th logo in the end zone that year. I'm not an expert on end-zone painting over the years, but I know there have been logos in the end zones occasionally.

Irv Smith drags several Indiana guys onto it in this video
by Moff  (2017-03-16 09:07:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you want to buy a beer stein, a sweat shirt and a t shirt with that logo on it, I know a guy.

The ND logo picture is from the 1990 Michigan game
by Moff  (2017-03-16 09:13:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seen in the opening of this video. Can also see shamrock and Fighting Irish in 77 USC videos.

Among other things
by ndtnguy  (2017-03-15 14:16:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There were also more colorful logos at times during Ara's tenure. You'll see a football, and if I recall correctly even a leprechaun, in some of the old footage.

Yes. *
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-03-15 13:58:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just keep rereading page 12s headline. *
by cj  (2017-03-14 18:33:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It does capture one's attention, doesn't it? *
by ArasEra  (2017-03-14 19:36:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You guys both missed the real shocker.
by Bacchus  (2017-03-14 23:08:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was 73 degrees in South Bend in November.

In another life we will go to college together and
by cj  (2017-03-14 22:41:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be thrown out.

It will not be sad....

I'll be the clown w/ the pencils sticking out of my nostrils
by ArasEra  (2017-03-14 23:01:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please count me in on this.
by Moff  (2017-03-15 00:22:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We might not even last as long as George Wendt.

Oh, you are definitely in, Moff. *
by ArasEra  (2017-03-15 15:50:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But think of the fraternity - if only for a moment.
by SWPaDem  (2017-03-15 07:54:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not to mention the humanity.

Step one. We have to have the upperclassmen
by Moff  (2017-03-16 09:25:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

make us do shots every time we mess up while learning to sing the Victory March. Of course, that won't be much fun because I'm pretty sure we all know it. (Thanks to OIF's tenure, I knew it and just had to do a victory shot, and then watched my roommates get plastered).

Perhaps we can sing When Irish Backs Go Marching By. For obvious reasons, I think that one had been forgotten in the last decade or so.

One question:
by SWPaDem  (2017-03-16 10:45:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's an Irish back?

They pass protect on fade routes and pick plays. *
by Moff  (2017-03-16 17:21:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perfect....it will be an honor.... *
by cj  (2017-03-15 00:43:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That really aged well. *
by InspectorClouseau  (2017-03-14 17:45:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cappy Gagnon has the most slappable face...
by Marine Domer  (2017-03-14 17:35:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this side of Grayson Allen.

Danza Slappable, even *
by GARBAGEPLATE  (2017-03-14 21:21:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hey man
by Montroy28  (2017-03-14 17:35:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

did you get that from my profile?

That is one amazing load of horseshit, isn't it? He also was an ACE at the use of ALL CAPS to underscore his POINTS

I did get it from your profile and it motivated me to read
by ArasEra  (2017-03-14 19:04:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the entire article.

I'm glad I saw it in your profile - good call, Montroy28.

That article was indeed tremendous horseshit.

Good call on picking that quote. Unbelievable. *
by Moff  (2017-03-14 17:41:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow, what a gutless rant
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-03-14 17:30:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess he felt brave since the people he wrote this about were no longer on campus.

That's a real beaut.
by Moff  (2017-03-14 17:14:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here are the highlights:

Yes, Cappy. Thanks God Bob Davie was available. And nice comparison of him to Knute Rockne and Joe Paterno who also had no head coaching experience!

Those damn Joe Moore jurors. Way to point out that they chose to base their verdict on the words that came out of Davie's mouth, rather than the fact that Cappy is of the opinion that ND doesn't age discriminate against ALL the old fogies on campus. Did they not hear that Moore smoked?

And yes, ask the players what they think of Matt Doherty. He asks them how class is going. Amazing. But better ask him quick before he bolts for greener pastures!

Wadsworth was my classmate and gosh darn it he made no mistakes.

(Congrats AE, on getting me fired up again 18 years after the fact)

And don't forget the Prister reference
by Ghost Runner On 2nd  (2017-03-14 17:49:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The biggest on-campus admin suckup gives props to guy who has proven to be one of the biggest admin suckups in media.

Pair of assholes.

I used to read B&G religiouslyand still have them all from
by Moff  (2017-03-14 20:05:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the late 80's to late Fall 1996. Once I saw him saying it was time for Holtz to go and Davie was going to be great, I couldn't cancel the subscriptions fast enough. This 21 plus year train wreck was so damn predictable.

Hey Moff, did you see my post above about the B&G interview
by ArasEra  (2017-03-14 22:35:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with Wadsworth?

Maybe if you have the time you could see if you have that edition?

I believe it was written in '95 or '96.

Just wrote myself a note to find it. WIll have to move some
by Moff  (2017-03-15 00:07:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

boxes around in the basement.

No hurry. When I read it I remember thinking what a blowhard
by ArasEra  (2017-03-15 15:49:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bullshitting AD he was.

Sorry, I got myself fired up again, too.
by ArasEra  (2017-03-14 17:32:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a piece of shit article.

No wonder we suck.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.