Rest In Peace Braxston Banks
by Moff (2017-03-10 03:32:02)
Edited on 2017-03-10 09:21:57
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

We just lost one of the best men to ever wear an ND uniform. Despite his great talent, he was one of the most humble, kind and upbeat guys you'd ever meet, and was always lifting up those around him. In that way, he was so much like his teammates Andre Jones and Dean Brown who also left us way too soon.

Obituary? *
by PabloFanque  (2017-03-13 09:29:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have not seen it published yet. *
by Moff  (2017-03-13 14:28:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Bob Satterfield. *
by btd  (2017-03-11 09:00:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rod Culver and Jeff Alm as well
by Raoul  (2017-03-11 13:41:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

6 out of 90-100 guys under 50 already passed. That seems high but maybe that jives with actuarial tables.

I can still picture where I was when that Valujet crash
by Moff  (2017-03-11 17:14:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

alert came on the news. I never met Rodney, but Jeff was yet another great guy.

I flew on that same plane one week earlier *
by btd  (2017-03-13 19:58:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That linked video interview
by Chuck84  (2017-03-12 09:56:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

where the Bus talks to Rodney's girls will knock you right on your arse.

Great stuff.

My daughter was born that day. *
by ksqdomer  (2017-03-12 09:49:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still have Mirer's autographed Bears jersey from the silent
by Irish72  (2017-03-11 17:26:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

auction held at the reunion in '97. Mrs72 kept inquiring why I kept bidding. I told her how much the jersey would be worth after Mirer won a couple super bowls with the Bears.

My wife has repeatedly asked me why I keep my old concert
by Moff  (2017-03-11 17:32:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

t-shirts. I recently showed her this ad for one of my several dozen old shirts and she now leaves me alone about it. (Price is probably inflated like ND tickets on StubHub, but I could probably get more for mine because I bought it at their first ever show as headliners in North American, in 3,000 seat theatre).

Nice. My Cosby program from the opening of the JACC has
by Irish72  (2017-03-11 18:48:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

probably lost its value.

I don't know. OJ paid for his defense with autographs signed
by Moff  (2017-03-11 19:14:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In jail

This is awful. Such a nice guy. R.I.P., Braxston. *
by beancounter  (2017-03-11 02:09:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Too damn young. RIP Mr. Banks. *
by Slotts  (2017-03-11 00:01:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great memories of Braxston
by Hanratty5ND  (2017-03-10 12:56:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Him and Johnson were quite the weapons--but didn't get to really see all their talents because there was only one ball and you had guys like Rocket and Watters, etc. etc.

I think he had another year left at ND but left early and went undrafted.

My sister and her family used to live in Hayward CA., so I used to drive by Moreau Catholic HS on Mission all the time. Braxston was a NFL player agent at one time in the early 90's because I had a buddy who signed with him as a free agent.

R.I.P. Braxston Banks

Nope, not going to be able to handle losing our 1988
by 1NDGal  (2017-03-10 12:29:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

guys. I'm already done.

When it comes calling for Wes, Frank, Tony, Rocket, Reggie, Andy Heck ... just don't even talk to me.

Hear, hear.
by mkovac  (2017-03-10 23:53:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still refuse to believe that Jeff Alm is gone.
"No, God, No! You do not get this young man. He put his hands up and plucked Steve Walsh's pass out of the air! He's OURS AND YOU DON'T GET HIM YET!!"

Completely Agree with your post
by leahy  (2017-03-10 11:36:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the best to wear the uniform
very sad

Fred, just saw the news about your brother's passing.
by Moff  (2017-03-10 14:04:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My deepest condolences to you and your entire family. Speaking of the best to ever wear the uniform, your family set the standard. God bless.

Brian

Thanks
by leahy  (2017-03-10 20:22:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I must admit..my brother Jim was my real Rudy.
Was 5th string all his life at ND
Had 3 knee operaqtions and was basically meat for the first and 2nd team.

But i will never forget his final ND game at ND he got in the last 10 minutes.
I jumped the wall and took a picture and jumped back.
Proudest moment ever at an ND game.

Thanks for the thoughtful words

Losing a sibling is devastating.
by ocmj  (2017-03-11 03:43:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My thoughts are with you, Fred.

What a great memory
by Walsh69  (2017-03-11 00:07:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Again, my condolences.

Agreed
by HTownND  (2017-03-11 08:51:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great story.

Hope you still have that picture somewhere

sure do *
by leahy  (2017-03-11 12:13:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thanks
by leahy  (2017-03-11 01:46:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am proud to say he was on the 66 NCteam
Great ring
I will miss him

Fred, Like you I am one of 8. We were a little more
by cj  (2017-03-11 12:01:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

organized 4 boys in a row then 4 girls. Our oldest just turned 63. I don't know how I would handle what you are dealing with now...Remember lessons from your mom and dad..chin up...
I am guessing that Jim's 1966 ring was a source of tremendous pride for your family and especially your dad. It's probably among if not his favorite championship....full circle... The fact that your family was able to experience national titles in "two dimensions" is a testament to hard work and unparalleled excellence.
I know from reading past posts by you that there were tough times. Those times were balanced by an incredible amount of family love too. The moment that you shared in your post here is forever...pride, love, sharing, celebration, family...all with Notre Dame as a backdrop. Priceless. Your personal "family instinct" was spot on and I only wish I was there to see you make the leap. Good on you.
I am also guessing that you have some wonderful street/playground football memories with him....
Know that your love for him is eternal. Just like his love for you. Heaven has another "ace".
All of the Leahy's will be in my prayers.
God bless you all and Peace in Christ.
cj

thanks CJ
by leahy  (2017-03-11 12:17:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a warm message.
Death sucks and the pain never fully goes away.
I will miss him so much
Jim was my immediate older brother and was a GREAT older brother at that ( i loved all my older brothers and sisters )

I will say one thing..cigarettes should be outlawed.

Again..thanks for the kind words

I hope we meet some day.
by mkovac  (2017-03-11 23:29:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish to extend my sympathies to you for the loss of your brother.

many thanks
by leahy  (2017-03-12 07:36:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would love to meet so many of you on this board

I am so sorry to hear this news
by JC_90_94  (2017-03-10 09:46:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A fellow bay area Class of 1990 guy. . . a true gentleman.

RIP #39.

Here's a great 2012 article on him by one of our own (link)
by Moff  (2017-03-10 09:39:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Look at those first few paragraphs
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-03-10 10:41:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hayward, Calif., is more than 3,000 miles from the University of Miami campus in Coral Cables, Fla. But that distance didn't prevent young Braxston Banks from keeping a sharp eye on the Miami Hurricanes football program. When it came time to select his jersey number as a high school football star, Banks chose number 30, in honor of Miami running back Alonzo Highsmith.

Meanwhile, Hurricanes' head coach Jimmy Johnson had his eye on Banks. Johnson was building a dynasty in Coral Cables and he figured the hard-charging running back from California would be a perfect fit.

But Banks' mother had other ideas. When Johnson called with his recruiting pitch, she wouldn't put Johnson through to her son. What's more, she didn't even tell Braxston until after he had signed a letter of intent to play at Notre Dame.

Notre Dame fans, of course, would insist that mother knew best.

"She's an unbelievable lady," Banks says. "And I hate to give her credit on this, but yes, she did know best."

That piece is only 5 years old. Did Braxton's mom outlive him? I know my own mom's greatest fear was that she'd outlive her own children. (She didn't; she passed away 8 days before that 1988 Miami game.) Braxton did have 3 kids who are now in their teens and without their dad. He left us far too soon.

It would be interesting to have a list of ND Moms who
by 1NDGal  (2017-03-10 12:37:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

flat-out insisted that their sons play at Notre Dame (read: who were very smart ladies unimpressed with 'recruiting hostesses' and other flim-flam). Dads too. They deserve a statue on campus.

--Braxston Cave's mother
--Maurice Stovall's mother
--Greg Bryant's father (tearing up thinking about how he asked the coaches to look out for Greg and keep him straight)
--Manti's father, but he let Manti make the decision; we all know Mary and Jesus took that recruitment over at the last minute

I'm sure there are dozens more.

Two stars from the nearly un-stopable offense of '73
by oldtownirish  (2017-03-11 12:49:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both Eric Penick and Art Best had Moms who were Catholic (and Dads who were not), and insisted they commit to ND.

Kory Minor's mom helped. *
by NDBass  (2017-03-10 15:11:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty sure Tim Brown's brother steered him to ND as opposed
by Moff  (2017-03-10 13:44:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to local SMU

You may recall Brown's Heisman speech in which he says
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-10 15:54:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

something like this:

"Mom, I know you wanted me to be in the band. Dad, I know you wanted me to play football. Mom, I hope you think I made the right decision." This was followed by laughter and applause.

That is good. I never realized she would sit in his dorm
by Moff  (2017-03-10 18:25:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Room during games because she did not want to watch. At the 1986 Alabama game in Birmingham, i had what we called "coat and tie" duty and it was my job to shadow Lou all weekend. We we were waiting to leave the stadium after the game and he and I were standing outside the loaded buses. He kept sending me over to tell Tim that he and his mother had to say goodbye because we really had to leave. Lou kept re-dispatching me over there, as he did not want to be the one to come between the mother and child reunion. I was caught between a rock and a hard place. As it turned out, we managed to make our chartered flight with time to spare.

Was it his brother
by HTownND  (2017-03-10 13:47:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That threw him in the closet?

I think it was Tom Cruise.
by jt  (2017-03-10 15:57:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When is Tom Cruise coming out of the closet?

Konrad's mom... He adored the school through how she
by cj  (2017-03-10 13:08:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

raised him.
Final written words to his mom:

"Also, thank you for the pep talk! I am about to kick this thing's butt, with the help of God. He has something big in store for me, and this is something that will help manifest what it is...I can't wait to see where His will takes me."

God bless Braxton, his family and friends.

A great story about Greg Marx
by domer4  (2017-03-10 13:05:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sit on the couch, I want to tell you a story,'" Marx recalls his mother saying. Marx's mother told of how her family had come to Michigan from Canada, lured by the opportunity to earn five dollars per day in Henry Ford's auto plants.

After World War II started, Marx's mother worked on the assembly line. As many Americans did, she bought war bonds. Beyond supporting the U.S. military, Marx's mother had a secondary motive in purchasing the bonds.

"She told me that if she ever had a son, and he wanted to go to Notre Dame, she'd would be able to afford to send him," relates Marx. That was all Marx needed to hear. And thanks to Marx's football talent, his mother didn't need to cash in those war bonds to see her dream come true.

Braxston was a wonderful guy. How awful. * *
by AlanND90  (2017-03-10 08:17:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

RIP Indeed
by Chuck84  (2017-03-10 06:51:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How incredibly sad.

As for good memories of BB: He scored the second TD for us on a 3rd and Goal in the famous Catholics/Convicts game (at 56:55)

Also had a great run earlier in that game banging through many Cane defenders.

He and Anthony Johnson were one heck of a one-two punch.
by Moff  (2017-03-10 09:29:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We had two of the best fullbacks in college football that year who could run you over between the lines and then turn into the nicest guys in the world the second they stepped off the field.

Indeed they were..... I just don't understand today's
by cj  (2017-03-10 12:51:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

disconnect from our knock the hell out of anything that moves style....'77 backfield...Jerome Heavens, Vagas Ferguson, Dave Mitchell, Terry Eurick, Jim Stone, Orsini, Pallas....

MacAfee at TE knocking people on their ass....

Seriously, we have people making football decisions for the first time in their lives. It's crazy. Pay $6-10 million a year for a stud hire. If he doesn't achieve a .750 + wp over x years then the $ guarantees are off the table... who knows....
ND is known for higher learning, but in our most important arena we are failures/dumb/stupid beyond belief.

Dang, what happened? RIP BB *
by Stonebreaker9  (2017-03-10 06:28:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a heart disease issue. *
by Moff  (2017-03-10 09:23:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sounds like it went undetected/undiagnosed despite several
by TAR  (2017-03-12 12:52:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Warning signs. Hopefully the family finds peace.

Amen *
by Moff  (2017-03-13 15:31:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.