'I'm going to make sure that never happens again'
by Cemms823 (2017-03-08 12:59:11)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

This, from Sports Illustrated, offers a very good, thorough look into the offseason for Notre Dame.

While I'm as disgusted with 4-8 as everyone else, the program can benefit from a different Brian Kelly. That's saying the least.

How many coaches completely restructure a staff
by faustfever  (2017-03-11 10:56:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

after a sub .500 season and live to tell grandiose tales of success?

"Oh, I just became unmotivated and uninterested in my job, but I'm going to rip the cover off the ball now. Sorry everyone. P.S. I am also doing hot yoga."

The dude is toast.

Maybe he will be Mike Brey.
by Fuzzy Patters  (2017-03-11 13:54:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think he will be, but Brey is certainly a different coach than he was 2003-06. Back then, he claimed ND was a mid-major after losing to Butler. Now he calls Duke vs UNC the JV game. He figured out that you have to think you're the best in order to be the best. His teams play extremely confidently. Maybe Kelly can figure it out. He probably won't, but he isn't getting fired between now and September so we should hope for it.

A searing self-indictment
by friskycavepig  (2017-03-11 00:26:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of a program whose wheels have completely come off:

"Part of the whole culture, I let slip up."

"We failed and I failed."

"Lack of professionalism," "undisciplined," "the finishing and training of our team got a little stale."

"Kelly needed to be around the team more."

"A program that felt too corporate, a coach who'd grown too distant and a missing intensity in the weight room."

"There wasn't a spark and attitude around our building of guys wanting to compete and wanting to win."

"There's a tradition of excellence that I need to live up to. Period. I didn't live up to it."

"The Irish will begin next season with five of nine new position coaches and three of five new strength coaches. This proved the most painful part for Kelly."

"The most consistent piece of feedback Kelly received from the players who came through his office was that they wanted him around more."

"After VanGorder's firing in September, Kelly recalled defensive players remarking how invigorating it was to have Kelly's presence on that side of the ball. He viewed it as a backhanded compliment, as it meant they'd missed his presence."

"Getting young talent on the field faster...hadn't happened well enough the last three years."

"Hammann says Kelly was around infrequently enough that 'you'd kind of get nervous' in his presence."

"As Kelly grew distant, a program that adores its tradition had become corporate. Players didn't walk into the stadium in unison on game day. Some didn't even know the alma mater."

"Kelly admits he did a poor job developing leaders."

"Kelly admits too many 'accommodations' were made for players, which led to a collective slip in physical and mental toughness. Kelly points the finger at himself for allowing the culture to get there. In his interviews, the players noted a consistent desire to want to be pushed and challenged more. Coming into last season, Notre Dame won 21 games by seven points or less in Kelly’s tenure. Last season, they lost seven and won just one one-score game."

"We didn't have the mindset or ability to keep our foot on the gas pedal. There wasn't a spark and attitude around our building of guys wanting to compete and wanting to win." [Apparently so important, this quote appears in the article twice.]

"My ego does not need to be satisfied in any shape or fashion. I want to win for Notre Dame."

I want a coach who can put together 2 good years
by 1978Irish  (2017-03-09 12:56:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in a row. Right now, that would be 2 seasons with 10 wins (maximum of 3 losses). If a head coach can do that, then there is hope for that coach having a good program.

Kelly has failed to do this in 7 years. The earliest he can do this is 2018.

I was actually hopeful in 2016. He had a good year in 2015 and he had a stud quarterback coming back in 2016. Then he completely screwed it up. 2016 was one of the worst coaching jobs I have ever seen.

My biggest fear is Kelly will go 8-5 or 9-4 in 2017 and get a 9th year.

It's not the "4-8". It's everything that led up to it that
by 2ndstreeter  (2017-03-09 12:06:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

made the 4-8 possible. There isn't a different Brian Kelly. He hasn't had an epiphany, he's had changes forced upon him.

I can't believe it's so easy for people to be sucked into this shell game run by PT Swarbucks.

swarbrick, “I get all the hot seat stuff, but you don’t
by cj  (2017-03-09 12:57:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

take the approach we took and the investment we made unless you believe you can succeed,” Swarbrick says. “And you know, Mike [Elko] doesn’t come here or Chip [Long] doesn’t come here. We believe very strongly that these changes will have a significant impact.”

Yeah, Elko at Wake Forest and Long at Memphis were tough sells.

Elko, "Let's see Notre Dame, Wake Forest...hmm Notre Dame, Wake Forest...Okay, I'm in."

Long, "Let's see Notre Dame Memphis...hmm Notre Dame, Memphis...Okay, I'm in."

Can you imagine either of them telling their wives, "Honey, I turned down the ND job..."

swarbrick is clueless and avoids his obvious failure like the plague...

Yeah, those two worldbeaters were perched atop
by ACross  (2017-03-09 18:20:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Elite programs. We had to pry them away from Memphis State and Wake Forest and stave off other programs throwing piles of money at them.

Swarbrick thinks people believe his dishonest bullshit puffery.

He's unfit for evaluating anything football related. He
by cj  (2017-03-09 18:43:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pipes off like these hires were a cfb elite coaching coup.

His kelly relationship trumps Notre Dame excellence on and off the field. Under their leadership our national reputation has been damaged in multiple ways.

Please note Memphis 2016 record linked. They went 8-5 and were pummeled in their bowl game. They lost the Boca Raton BOWL to the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 51-31. At least they made a bowl...8-5 is a perfect fit....Navy beat the crap out of them...
swarbrick is over his skis and needs to move on...

JS opened Dr. Blanco's second envelope after the USC game.
by irishintheville  (2017-03-09 16:18:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reorganize--that's the ticket!

That is perfect! Thank you!
by cj  (2017-03-09 17:49:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In light of swarbrick's Sept 2016 comment below, can someone smarter than me tell me what year we are now in? Also, where does NCAA probation, vacating wins and firing staff as if they nerf bullets fit in?

"To really build a program is a four-, five-year proposition, to get all the pieces in place," athletic director Jack Swarbrick said. "And that's what we're seeing now. To me last year was a testament to this program is in as good a place as it's been for two decades. ... And '12 bought us the time to do it right."

At the time we were pre-season top 10. Then we spiraled to oblivion and swarbrick cowardly went into hiding. Now kelly is having breakfast with the players learning their names, learning where they are from, learning their girlfriend's names, making them sing the alma mater and he is doing his best Stewart Smalley routine, I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17454417/notre-dame-brian-kelly-it-life

It's whatever year Swarbrick says it is.
by BottleofRed  (2017-03-09 18:14:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have always been at war with East Asia.

In all seriousness though, they'll keep blathering on and spouting platitudes because there are enough people who keep buying it. You know the "it's a new year...Kelly's really changed this time" crowd. While those of us who refuse to surrender to mediocrity will just give up and walk away because it's less painful than banging our heads against a brick wall.

Elko and Long not coming unless they get 3 years salary
by tdiddy07  (2017-03-09 13:13:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is a sign that they don't think you will succeed but are improving their careers, dumbass. (To clarify, you are not the target of that statement.)

If they have 3 years guaranteed that is another
by cj  (2017-03-09 14:07:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

example of swarbrick's crap negotiating skills.
Don't get me wrong.
I think Elko is a good guy with experience and skill.
Long is a wild card.
I would hope there are some performance related items built in. I'd love to know that....
swarbrick is chasing his tail...
PS Has anyone asked our crack staff who are our top 22 athletes on the team.....I guarantee that the players know....
Although not directed at me I take pride in being a dumbass. I was one way before strolling into Dillon. Lastly, if you ever get the chance to be on campus head into the Dillon Chapel. In the back right is a statue of St. Olaf with a place to kneel down. I spent many an hour there repenting my indiscretions and praying for help. Awesome spot on campus....serene....

I don't mean to suggest they're objectively bad hires.
by tdiddy07  (2017-03-09 14:19:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're decent hires for a program that in a position where it needs to take a chance on new people. It's just comical (because how else can we respond at this point) that he cites their hiring as evidence that everyone in the program has buy-in and is reason for faith in leadership for the masses.

If Dillon is the one with ice cream masses, I did that once. I could do it again for more ice cream.

There was no ice cream masses when I was there. Fr
by cj  (2017-03-09 14:51:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tyson was beyond great. Fr Joe arrived into a tornado of student goofiness. Father Burtchaell despised us. Fr Jenky, along with Fr B, was driven to the edge of insanity. Their rambling letters to Dean Roemer describing our lunacy should be preserved. Dean Roemer reciting them was great theatre....
Fortunately, I was not involved in tossing empty kegs in the rooms in vicinity above the chapel. However, I was attending mass. Think Monty Python and the Holy Grail cartoon with the character jumping up and down causing noise and the priest running up stairs...
Jenky came back breathing fire and I just smiled. Another of his masses was interrupted by an American Indian War Chants record... He again flew like Usain Bolt to break the record...
We'll see if they are decent hires...my guess is we may see the install excuse on both sides of the ball...I have zero faith that kelly will relinquish power...

All part of his marketing plan
by 93dillonite  (2017-03-09 10:40:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the team rebounds and wins 8-9 games, he and his agent scream to anyone who will listen, "See, I can turn around a program, look at all the changes I made. I can do it to yours too! Pleeeeeeeeeeease hire me!!!"

More likely his players continue to tune him out and he stumbles to a 5-6 win season and the administration has no choice but to fire him. He lives large for several more years on his buyout.

Either way, he's lost nothing by marketing himself as a "new man."

Fool me once...
by wiNDycityfan  (2017-03-09 07:18:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So NOW he's building the program up the right way. Got it.

Is there an Unemployed Brian Kelly?
by akaRonMexico  (2017-03-08 23:25:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the program would benefit from him showing up.

He just needs a QB who can listen and execute
by Hipster  (2017-03-08 20:54:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's really not that hard. Make the right reads, execute the plays and don't make any mistakes. I mean C'mon. How hard is that? Players gotta make plays.

I think maybe his QB's have all been out to screw him. Yeah, that's the ticket. I'm glad to hear he's not gonna let it happen again.

I think the yoga instructor with the Lululemon mats may really help the running game.

Maybe it isn't too late to get back into the Sorin Society and get my $150 tickets and $90 Library lot parking passes.

You are a connoisseur of looney toon references, good sir *
by Meatwhistle  (2017-03-08 21:15:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow!
by blountcoharp  (2017-03-08 21:09:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who stole your candy??

Charlie Weis
by Chronicle  (2017-03-09 09:26:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the Molder of Men
And Bob Davie
And Brian Kelly
And Jack Swarbrick
And Kevin White
And Monk Malloy
And Father Jenkins

The list goes on and on

who's the source of your sunshine pump? *
by MukIrish  (2017-03-08 21:16:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"This is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it" *
by meatwhistle  (2017-03-08 20:14:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's ward healer, but without the "healing." *
by mkovac  (2017-03-08 19:33:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A tiger doesn't change its stripes
by dulacshakur  (2017-03-08 18:28:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless Brian Kelly is the recipient of the world's first brain transplant, no amount of regret over complacency -- a mistake he implicitly seems to acknowledge yet a luxury he most assuredly did not earn -- will change the fact that he is not an elite coach, no matter what he believes or Jack Swarbrick prays.

We'll be back to 3-5 loss seasons and blowout bowl losses...
by GeronimoRumplestiltskin  (2017-03-08 18:15:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...in no time. I can feel it.

I could stomach a story like this about a coach who won
by ugoirish  (2017-03-08 18:08:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a championship or two, then got complacent and let things slip and then was trying a rebirth. He hasn't accomplished jack shit at ND. This is nonsensical bullshit. It isn't quite "I'm gonna make it!" because I'll grant that he's a better coach than Faust but it's the version of "I'm gonna make it!" for a mediocre coach who's been given more resources than his predecessors, accomplished very little and then had a disastrous season that should have got his ass fired.

We know how this movie ends. He's lived on his "I've been doing this for 2X years" mantra for the last seven years with the implication that he's an old pro who has the answers. Now he's basically saying he had none of the answers but he's now figured it all out. If dickhead Swarbrick really did understand great coaching he'd be more convinced than ever by all this excuse making and grab bagging that Kelly isn't up to the job. Just as we told him in 2009.

It's grab-bagging, we have seen this movie before
by BmoreIrish  (2017-03-08 17:14:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't blame Kelly, his bosses should have fired him. The season we will have is on them at this point.

He can say all the right things now, but when adversity strikes he will revert to what he knows, just like we all do. He should not still have his job.

When the game is in doubt, late against Temple
by rpm04  (2017-03-08 17:09:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on September 2nd, we'll see the same incredulous, pass-happy, throw-players-under-the-bus Brian Kelly we've come to know for the last 7 years.

It's an admission of failure after 7 seasons
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-03-08 16:46:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only way to ensure it never happens again is to hire a new head coach.

Unfortunately, that does not ensure that it never happens
by Srock  (2017-03-08 16:59:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

again

I am not making this stuff up
by nd71  (2017-03-08 16:24:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK says in this article ND is “a lot closer” to winning a national title in terms of the Irish’s depth and talent “than we were in 2012 . . .'
"

Unmitigated bullshit.

Maybe he's talking about distance.
by akaRonMexico  (2017-03-09 10:41:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 2012 the game was played in Miami. This year it will be in Atlanta. That is like 662 miles closer to ND...

You forgot the grit quotient
by acrossdmiddle  (2017-03-08 22:02:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This team is off the charts in that department and I don't remember Brian ever mentioning the grit of the 2012 team.

He was referring to a Division II national championship
by fatguyinalittlecoat  (2017-03-08 21:12:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He won 2, you know.

would you feel better if he said
by OCdomer78  (2017-03-08 16:59:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we can't get the players we need to win a NC? At least this way he is not trying to make excuses. While i believe you are more accurate in your assessment, i believe this comment is better then the alternative and a reason to hold his feet to the fire.

Simple declarative sentences; no PR/management jargon;
by nd71  (2017-03-08 17:08:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

philosophy changes re the O, D, ST; zero tolerance for and full accountability by staff of academic malfeasance; numbers of wins for next year and years to a NC statements as real goals otherwise I will leave.

The above is a starter list that would signal that he has got it figured out and wants our support. Otherwise what we will get is warmed over gruel on and off the field.

When you aren't close
by HTownND  (2017-03-08 16:40:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does it matter?

Truth matters at ND or at least it used to
by nd71  (2017-03-08 16:52:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This type of patently obvious BS was inimical to ND's interests back in the day.

Now it served up to the masses as if it's expensive French pastries.

"Losing is a disease. As contagious as polio."
by Otter  (2017-03-08 16:15:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brian Kelly is doing yoga. He's eating egg whites and feta cheese. He appointed a walk-on as team captain. He moved everyone's locker around. I've seen this movie before. What makes me laugh is how people buy any of this.

Losing is a disease from Trevor Carpenter on Vimeo.

Played by the father of the late, great Paul Poth, '94 J.D. *
by VaDblDmr  (2017-03-08 18:59:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's never too late to have a "Come to Jesus" moment.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-08 15:43:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Time will tell. That quote could have come from Swarbrick as well.

Throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks
by nd71  (2017-03-08 16:48:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is not the preferred process of program improvement let alone overhaul.

This Yakey Sax program overhaul bringing in 2nd and 3rd tier assistant coach weenies, a yoga instructor vice a head coach mentor for BK, and BK lunches with the peons is a slapdash sad indictment of the Savvy regime.

They are serving up stem-fulls of oily discharge and telling us via Thamel et al that it's 1997 Napa cab.

It's just mind-boggling how much of the program
by SEE  (2017-03-08 16:04:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Slipped. I'm all for a redemption story, but it really appears to me that Kelly checked out

Slipped? Did I miss the sustained period of success
by Carlos Huerta  (2017-03-08 16:57:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we've enjoyed under Kelly? We had a great '12 regular season, got killed by Bama, lost early in '13 to a Michigan team who went 3-6 against other major conference opponents that year, lost a few weeks later by 14 at home to Oklahoma in a poorly coached game and haven't beaten a team who finished better than 18th in the country since then while losing 18 games ourselves.

The defense played well over 3 years (top 30), had a top 5
by SEE  (2017-03-08 17:49:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Recruiting class, yard per play increased three straight years. S&C was very good on the field through 2012. Whether the techniques were great, I don't know.

4th year things started going the other way. 3 years of improvement to 4 years of... something

The offense has never been really good
by tank  (2017-03-09 09:23:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never

Even in 2012, but Martin ran enough to protect the
by SEE  (2017-03-09 09:29:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Defense. Kelly's fucked up the offense continually as he coached to be in the NFL.

All the more damning our AD was either clueless (bad) or
by irishintheville  (2017-03-08 16:19:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

unwilling to do the right thing (worse). He's the real dipshit here. Kelly is a mediocre at best coach, JS is unfit for his role.

It's odd that the writer praises Kelly on captains...
by knott06  (2017-03-08 15:18:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that is Kelly's new approach to selecting captains without mentioning that one of them declared for the draft 1-2 days later. That faux pas, I guess, would have reinforced the article's larger argument that Kelly was out of touch with his players.

The man averaged four losses a year and had one win
by Carlos Huerta  (2017-03-08 14:24:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

over a team that finished better than 18th in the country in the three seasons prior to "letting things slip" in '16. Nice they were able to get this nonsense out again without being challenged. Perfect example is the young talent not getting on the field fast enough on defense part, as if this discovery came through the meticulous, expert examination Kelly made of the program and wasn't something reporters were asking him about and that fans were screaming about as Joe Schmidt struggled (to be kind) through '15.

Yep. We are on NCAA probation and staring down 21
by cj  (2017-03-08 15:09:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wins being vacated. So, swarbrick and kelly met for 8 hours...whoopdy doo. That's a "marathon meeting"??? My dad RIP would say, "Judas Priest".... I would be significantly more impressed if swarbrick met with Parcells or Dungy....other.... over a period of days, weeks, months....for a complete program scrub.

Instead, let's have 2 proven clueless football imbeciles meet and continue down their rabbit hole...

"Chad Klunder, the program’s associate athletic director for football operations, joined Swarbrick and Kelly for the final two-and-a-half hours of their marathon postseason meeting. He jotted down on paper what Kelly and Swarbrick discussed..... “I was working with Brian to make sure Brian was getting what he wanted and that Jack’s vision and expectations were being met,” Klunder says. “I really served as a conduit between the two of them.”

What the heck is that? kelly and swarbrick apparently require a "mediator" to document conclusions.

Right now their hopes hinge on Elko, Chip, Polian, a new S&C staff and kelly staying out of the way. The O and D assistant staff has been hamstrung for years by the "My way or the highway" attitude of kelly and van gorder. Suggestions by any other staff member were met with fire and brimstone.... You did what you were told...period.
If we achieve success it will come from our players over achieving and kelly staying out of the way of good people.
swarbrick's continuing to roll the dice in a role he has zero familiarity or past experience with....sadly, he crapped out years ago and should voluntarily remove himself from a position for which he has zero expertise....
Our problems reside with jenkins and swarbrick... neither lack the competence or knowledge to run any football program pee wee included. Yet, they hold the reins of cfb's flagship program. It's frightening in its' negligence.
When I joined the board I posted that football at ND required and deserved a separate individual (GM type) to oversee the program and report to the AD. Others including Across responded that they had said the same thing.... Instead we have egos who want a "do over" year after year...
Sadly, and with heavy heart, I will not watch ND football on tv for the first time in over 50 years... I will catch the Stanford game and that's it. I like what Stanford represents and their style of play. It reminds me of days gone by....

This still doesn't address the program/university issues
by InspectorClouseau  (2017-03-08 14:10:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that have led to 4 failed coaching hires and a 5th that stands on the precipice of being fired.

That sounds a lot like February 2008.
by tdiddy07  (2017-03-08 13:58:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"I think that when you're play-calling on offense, you might not necessarily be the best head coach. So what I'm trying to do is I'm trying to be a better head coach," he said Friday.

---
"It means that all the offensive coaches now won't have to worry about the head coach breathing down their neck all the time," he said. "When you have a number of good coaches sometimes they get stymied or stifled a little bit when you have a very domineering presence as head coach that's also involved in the offense."

Weis also wants to be more approachable to players. The Irish played more underclassmen last season and Weis was concerned some were too worried about getting yelled at by him. He hopes they will worry less when they get to know him better.

"You get it so that they know you better so if you yell at them they know that it's not personal," he said.

---
The only other change is that Brian Polian, who had coached inside linebackers last season, will return to coaching special teams, a position he held the previous two seasons. Weis will also work with special teams.

"I know one thing: I've got to figure out a better way of getting the special teams righted and I think he's done the best job of anyone I know in college football with special teams," Weis said.

Thank you. I knew I had read this story before, and you
by VaDblDmr  (2017-03-08 18:47:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

saved me the hassle of looking it up. Literally nothing new under the Sun when it comes to ND football's post-Holtz ineptitude. And I'll bet Jack doesn't even know we tried this "new" approach under Weis.

One difference. I doubt Weis lost 15 pounds in the offseason *
by irisharab  (2017-03-08 14:07:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He might have, and we'd never have noticed *
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-03-08 16:47:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's saying all the right things.
by gordonbombay  (2017-03-08 13:40:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

None of it means much until September, but at least he's doing that.

Not really. fundamentals, blocking, tackling, effective run
by NDMike2001  (2017-03-08 15:56:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He seems to think that his problems are the intangibles. Those were problems. But so were the very basics.

I like that he's looking inward. But I don't think that he's identified the problem.

Did I miss him say, "I quit" *
by dweglick  (2017-03-08 13:45:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not fashionable to be optimistic
by billweber72  (2017-03-08 13:38:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hell, it's not even realistic anymore. I'm as unhappy with last year and Kelly's tenure as anyone, but I have to say that it appears on the surface that he has faced the reality of the situation and made some major changes. His admission that he was a big part of the failure and his apparent willingness to cede offensive responsibility to others are remarkable for Kelly. (I know, we heard that before.) All the new coaches from outside his tree ought to have some effect, hopefully positive.

I follow Notre Dame football because it's in my blood and I read this board for entertainment and information. Right now, it's more fun to be optimistic about next year than it is to continue to bitch and moan. And, I'm really tired of all the juvenile whining and name-calling toward Kelly, even if he deserves it.

If nothing else, I found it interesting to read that Kelly and Swarbrick met for 8 hours at Swarbrick's house to talk about the program.

Snarky responses are anticipated.

I'm still not convinced "He" recognized anything
by NJND96  (2017-03-09 09:33:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All of the press during the off season was about how Kelly knew that there needed to be changes and how he wasn't afraid to get rid of people who have been with him for years. However, there is zero proof that Kelly made any of these changes on his own volition. The much more likely scenario is that Jack forced these changes. So until Kelly actually does something outside of his standard modus operandi, I will remain skeptical that the leopard has changed his spots.

I want to believe
by jt  (2017-03-08 19:37:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's pretty hard at this point, however.

Bill, the guy unequivocally remarked that he couldn't
by cj  (2017-03-08 14:01:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

recognize a player on his team. What is your reaction to that? It is not like he is running a corporation with hundreds/thousands of employees.... imo He should be fired for that level of ignorance alone.
PS It was wonderful to see Devine get walk-ons on the field. I will never forget Leo Driscoll's reception and the student's reaction/ovation in our last home game his senior year....

Not alone
by oldbender  (2017-03-08 16:42:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't post here anymore. It's just not worth the acrimony. But when I read something factually incorrect, I had to respond. I doubt Dan Devine knew the name of every walk on. I listened to one of his top assistants go on for a half hour about his failure to communicate to his staff years ago. But players names ever came up. However, I do know for a fact that there was at least one other famous nd football coach who did not know the name of every player. In fact, there were times he had trouble remembering the scholarship guys. And was not shy about admitting it privately. Not knowing every players name was the least of Kellys problems last year.

I miss your posts, OB.
by Ryno  (2017-03-09 00:16:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still have you highlighted and wish we would see and hear more of your input.

What's factually incorrect? The current rules limit
by cj  (2017-03-08 17:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

scholarship numbers in ways that differ from the past. Linked is the official '17 spring roster.... My rough count comes to 92. (Link below) I realize that kelly is far too busy playing make believe to learn players names. I would fire him. Feel free to disagree with that, but nothing I have written is "factually incorrect".

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/nd-m-footbl-mtt.html

You'd have to fire others then
by oldbender  (2017-03-08 17:39:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would you have fired one, if not more of nds football coaches who freely admitted privately that he didn't remember all his players names, including starters. And he wasn't alone. Very few of the nd coaches I came in contact with over the years remembered every kid every day. As an ex-coach myself I always had trouble with names. By the end I was calling every one pal. And we still won a lot. Remembering names is helpful, but not a prequisite to winning. It's not a mortal sin.

First off, there is no comparison between Devine and
by cj  (2017-03-08 18:19:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

kelly. Devine's pre-ND and ND resume is off the charts. Second, assuming 85 scholarships, to make the math easy for me/I realize we may have less, the current roster would require kelly to know 7 additional names on top of the scholarship players. He doesn't. He's stupid. I'd fire him in a heart beat.

PS In addition, I stated he should be fired after his so fl disgraceful and disgusting explosion. (And other subsequent disgraceful and embarrassing incidents)
Your "straw man" is that kelly not knowing players names is my sole factor for termination. The reality is that this admitted ineptitude is just an addition to the many examples on why he lacks the competence to lead ND's football program.

Other reasons
by oldbender  (2017-03-08 18:42:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You didn't state you had other reasons. You're certainly don't want Kelly for any reason. And that's you're right. The way you made your point was that he should be fired for not knowing every guy. You never mentioned anything else. I would have to wonder how many nd coaches you spent time with over the years if you think they all knew every guys names every day. I'm afraid you would be sadly surprised. its best we end this because kellys disgusting explosions are no more disgusting than past nd coaches who got very personal and physical in their player criticisms and instructions. Heck, Lou even yanked his players around by their face masks. You don't like Kelly. Fine. Butt don't assume things about nd football in the past unless you spent time withe coaches and players and tallked abou or witnessed the things you're commenting on.

I know exactly how I made my point. His admission at
by cj  (2017-03-08 19:54:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this stage of his ND tenure imo is grounds for termination. That is some attention to detail.
You may certainly disagree.
I like how you avoid the very limited number of roster walk ons and current roster size.
Apparently, the dope forgot that he mined the walk ons for Captain Joe Schmidt and current WR/returner Chris Finke.
PS It is also interesting how you apparently believe kelly's results at ND to be somehow on par with Dan Devine's, others.....
I liked Devine a lot and have stated here on numerous occasions that I was not a fan of Holtz. However, my opinion Holtz has begun to change... I am not sure how many ND head coaches you have spent time with. However, I am somewhat suspect that any of them disclosed to you that they didn't know the names of players on their roster. Lastly, I spent tons of time with players before, during and after I graduated from ND. I also have spent significant time with half a dozen plus players that played for kelly at ND.

not what I say
by oldbender  (2017-03-08 20:55:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wanted to let this go, but you say things that aren't what I say. First of alll, I think dan was better than Kelly, even though Devine personally was not a very likable guy and rather paranoid. Moose Krause did not dislike many people, but dan was one he didnt care for. I have also thought that Lou was a great big game coach. One of the best ever. And, yes, in passing ahead coach at nd did mention he didn't remember his players names. As iive said I've heard worse from coaches and administrators over the last fifty plus years. My only point in all this is that there is much Kelly can be criticized for, but some of your points are things many coaches at nd have been guilty of.

An example would be nice... "but you say things that aren't
by cj  (2017-03-08 23:46:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what I say."

"First of alll, I think dan was better than Kelly, even though Devine personally was not a very likable guy and rather paranoid."

You think? Do you find kelly to be likeable?

"And, yes, in passing ahead coach at nd did mention he didn't remember his players names."

Okay, an anonymous coach shared this with you. Got it.

Would you care to at least compare that coaches track record with kelly's?

Lastly, no coaches at ND have had a combination of vacating 2 seasons of wins and being placed on NCAA probation. No coaches at ND have accumulated anywhere near the level of vulgar, disgusting and insanity driven moments as kelly.
He is an incompetent, disgusting, vulgar, bully and should have been fired after the So Fl debacle.
He is also the worst representative to walk our sideline in school history.

Good night and good luck
by oldbender  (2017-03-09 10:22:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's time to end this. Your dislike for Kelly overrides everything. Fine, your rights to feel that way. But there have been coaches at nd who have not been shinning examples of good behavior off the field and have certainly been less than good and faithful husbands. Some have had drinking problems. I've spent time with one exhead coach, a great guy, who felt he was treated badly by his bosses even though he was fighting his own demons and his players knew it. I listened to Devine say all nd alumni could kiss his rosy ass. And yes, thats an exact quote. Finally in my limited contacts early on with Brian Kelly I found him cordial and willing to talk with and spend a few minutes with my grandkids. It's just a shame your dislike for Kelly colors everything. And since I go back to Brennan, who was treated badly ive seen a lot of coaches. Finally, the coach who couldn't remember names was better than Kelly. But that was my point. Many guys can't remember names who have won a lot, including me. but enough is enough. God bless you. The only thing is you're going to really be nuts if Kelly has a good year.. then he'll be back.

swarbrick, "In light of your recent admission to Sports
by cj  (2017-03-09 12:19:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Illustrated concerning not being able to recognize your players you are fired." That simple concept has drawn you into a vortex or some kind of space warp.

I think Devine's quote is/was awesome and spot on. I thought he was terrific when I was a student. The National Championship season and our road trips were legendary. In fact, Huffman sent state troopers to get us out of the stands and on the sideline in the 4th quarter of the Pitt game. Hopping that wall was off the charts. Devine's resume reads like Colonel Walter E. Kurtz's....

I have no information on ND HCs philandering or drinking. (We got a keg into the stadium...glass houses you know...)

As for my disdain of kelly. That's on him. I wouldn't let kids near him...

Sorry I am late to this conversation.
by Moff  (2017-03-10 00:06:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This reminded me of a time during winter workouts when I stood at the start line of the 40 yard dash, while two assistants stood at the finish line with watches. The whole team had to be timed. It was my job to yell their names down to the assistants, as they might not be able to recognize who it was from 40 yards away. I figured I'd be okay because I knew everybody's name.

About half way through I started thinking to myself, "What if I don't know a guys name and have to ask them. It's going to be really embarrassing for them." I was sort of thinking it might be a new walk on.

Sure enough a guy stepped up and expected me to just yell out his name. Total brain fart as it was a scholarship guy and I knew his name but in that one moment.... I had to ask him his name and all the other guys around busted out laughing and ribbed him mercilessly. I felt awful about it and apologized profusely to him afterwards. He was one of the good guys too. I got everyone else, except a few regular students who took part in the winter workouts to make them legit. (It had to be open to all students and Lou could not be there.) I still cringe whenever I hear someone talk about the 40 yard dash and think of him.

I also cringe because one of our starting DBs and I used to talk a little trash to each other. One day I kiddingly challenged him to race me in the 40 and he took me up on it as a goof. I only did so because he was still not 100% after knee surgery. Otherwise he could have beaten me by speed walking. Sure enough, he pulls up lame shortly into our race and I thought, Jesus, they are going to kill me. Thankfully, it was nothing serious.

I know oldbender isn't talking about Lou in terms of not knowing his starter's names. One of our jobs on road trips was to take turns walking him around the hotel so he could say goodnight to each member of the travel squad and give them some last minute advice as part of bed check. It took quite a while, as we had to knock on about 30 or more doors and he took his time with each of them. That was worth the price of admission to behold. As we walked out of the room, Lou would go first and some of the players would quietly tell me to enjoy the night on the town for them, as they knew we, the trainers and cheerleaders were not subject to the curfew. We would hit the town as soon as the bed check was done. I recall one of the guys leading Lou had a Spinal Tap moment at the hotel outside Miami, as they tried to take him underneath the lobby full of fans to get to the other wing of the hotel where the players were. Hello Bal Harbor! Hello Bal Harbor!

Lou was nothing like Brian Kelly. Which reminds me of one more story. One of our other jobs was to help run Lou's coaching clinics. At one point, Lou went to introduce one of my fellow senior managers. Lou knew his name very well, and had used it countless times, but had his own senior moment and went blank on his name in front of the crowd. Without missing a beat, and knowing the large crowd of coaches wouldn't know the difference, he immediately pulled the name "Joe Wells" out the air so as not to embarrass him by making it look like he didn't know his name. Needless to say, we all later got a big laugh out of it and the nickname stuck.

Great stories as always. You guys had more than a team.
by cj  (2017-03-10 16:02:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You had a family that cared deeply for each other.
Almost a decade into this dysfunctional and under achieving program, kelly openly and "sheepishly" admits to arguably the best known sports magazine in the United States that he doesn't know players on his team. The roster size after a quick count by me, could be barely off, is 92. He recruited somewhere around 80 of these kids. Considering the state of the program and that one walk-on became a captain Schmidt and current walk on Finke is now raising eyebrows, is it really asking "Mr attention to detail" to much to know who his players are? Holy crap, how much time does he actually spend running the team?
So, now we are supposed to be touched/impressed by his effort to learn players names and that he is getting out of bed to have breakfast with them? Seriously, what planet are we on? What the f does this guy do?
Not that a competent AD needs more reasons to jettison this creep, but imo he should have been punted for this gross negligence admission.
PS One thing NFL/other coaches hate is players challenging each other to race. Leroy Irvin challenged Eric Dickerson. Robinson reluctantly let them run the 100. It didn't end well for Leroy.

The program can benefit from a different Brian Kelly.
by NDBass  (2017-03-08 13:22:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe there's one in Texas, California, or Florida. Hell, I don't care where he's from as long as he is a different Brian Kelly.

If he made a copy of himself, maybe No. 2 would run the ball
by tdiddy07  (2017-03-08 13:32:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right now, he's got the bluster of No. 2, the emotional stability of No. 3, and the self-awareness of No. 4.

Multiplicity (link)
by Section12  (2017-03-08 13:39:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"A coach who spent a quarter century cementing his
by 1978Irish  (2017-03-08 13:10:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

reputation as one of college football’s consummate program builders suddenly had to step back and figure out a way to rebuild his own."

What programs has he built?

Cincinnati was already pretty good when he got there

Grand Valley State?

He hasn't had 2 good years in a row at ND, so he has built nothing here.

I was impressed they worked in the "I've been doing this for
by 88_92WSND  (2017-03-08 21:22:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

X years" bs...

There is so material to use against Brian Kelly
by irishboy89  (2017-03-08 13:32:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm just baffled when people make up shit to pin on him.

Cincinnati's record starting when Rick Minter took over in 1994:

2-8-1
6-5
6-5 (This was the Bearcat's first year in a conference when they joined C-USA)
8-4
2-9
3-8
7-5
7-5
7-7 (C-USA champs)
5-7

Mark Dantonio takes over in 2004:

7-5
4-7 (Bearcats first season in the Big East)
8-5

Kelly takes over full time in 2007:

10-3
11-3 (Big East champs)
12-1 (Big East champs)

CMU was the only program he resurrected.
by tdiddy07  (2017-03-08 13:31:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

GVSU had become pretty good when he took over. They were playoff team prior to him starting there. Beck got hired by ND after that season, which opened up the job for Kelly. He spent 10 seasons, 3 playoff appearances with first round losses, mostly 8-3 seasons with a 5, 6, and 7 win season thrown in. Then in season 11-13 he made the championship and won twice.

At CMU he took over a 3 win team and then won 4, 6, and 9. That was the only time he really turned around a really bad team.

At UC he took over an 8 win team and won 10, 11, 12. He certainly rose the program to new heights. But it wasn't a turnaround scenario.

I guess it's fair to say he had a program-building reputation. But that was largely from lazy reporting and self-interested praise from his boss.

CMU lost 4 games in his best year there
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-03-08 16:46:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since he left, they've lost fewer than 5 games only once (2009, 12-2, 3 years after he left).

"Program builder" is a bunch of hogwash.

When it comes to these types of stories...
by Cemms823  (2017-03-08 13:14:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Given Kelly's present standing, I tried to ignore a lot of the editorializing from Thamel -- though I do respect his work -- and focus more on the facts and quotes. You're right, the 'program builder' narrative is a bit embellished.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.