Football Study Hall looks at ND's new RPO offense,
by G.K.Chesterton (2017-01-11 16:58:10)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

or at least how Chip Long ran it at Memphis. (RPO stands for Run/Pass Option and yes, I had to look that up.)

Here's how the piece closes:

All of this was surely very attractive to Brian Kelly, who loves to run the ball, play tight ends, throw deep, and get the ball to his star receivers. Notre Dame hasn’t particularly struggled to move the ball on offense over the last few years but with some RPO updates to their “spread to run” offense they should be able to torch opponents that can’t handle their athletes in space while also minding the run game.

With Notre Dame following Penn State and joining the RPO revolution, it’ll be interesting to see if it helps them navigate their difficult schedule as much as it helped Penn State this last year.

At best it will be Baylor under Briles. At worst:
by jimmypop  (2017-01-12 13:04:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

complete crap. So average that out and you get a soft move the ball between the 20's, can't score in the redzone against high quality defenses, spastic offense. So much of the same except the team may throw passes with lineman down field more.

Yippie *
by IrishLep  (2017-01-12 12:16:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An RPO is not an offense. Worthless article *
by Marylanddomer  (2017-01-11 21:33:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, that was weird
by HTownND  (2017-01-12 11:59:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the author didn't get to pick the headline, because in the article he talks about incorporating RPOs (which is correct, it's a play, not an offense).

Here are all the plays from the Houston-Memphis game.
by ugoirish  (2017-01-11 18:10:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I watched as many of the Memphis series as I could stomach a few days ago. Long's offense seems to come in three version - soft, extra soft and super soft. Kellylovers are gonna dig the shit out of it.

They scored 34 in the first half against Houston
by MAS  (2017-01-11 19:43:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Houston had the #2 rush defense in the country at the time and had just shut down the Heisman trophy winner. I get that it's not power football and he might suck here, but that game is not a great example of soft and super soft. They pretty much kicked Houston's ass on the ground and in the air.

How would they do against
by HTownND  (2017-01-12 12:07:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clemson, Bama or OSU? Even if the talent was equal?

Do you think Bama's safety wouldn't have covered that WR correctly?

Houston ended up at #13 when it was all said and done, but against the better part of their schedule, the defense looked decent, not great. Hell, they gave up 46 to Navy.

This is why looking at these rankings in isolation can be problematic. Even adjusting them for SOS is still not perfect. Football is about matchups, which is why it's been harder to quantify this stuff versus baseball, etc.

I'm sure this offense will be fine against Miami (OH), Temple, etc.

I suspect Georgia, USC and Stanford, would piss all over it.

It's a soft, finesse offense and it's not going to do
by ugoirish  (2017-01-12 01:50:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

shit against top teams, particularly utilizing the type of talent that ND typically attracts. And Houston was vastly overrated. I'm happy they had the number 2 rush defense playing that tough Big East (or whatever the fuck it's now called) schedule. I'm sure you disagree but I no longer care to argue about this stuff.

the question that you need to ask yourself
by jt  (2017-01-11 20:44:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is "will that type of a system consistently work against the better teams that we play?"

I think that the answer is "no."

looks like those authors are learned *
by ACross  (2017-01-11 18:06:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

basically evolution of zone/read system
by jt  (2017-01-11 17:47:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've seen it at the high school level the past few years. Not a big fan.

I bet Wisconsin can't wait to join the RPO revolution *
by dwjm3  (2017-01-11 17:19:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're not ready for it yet. *
by Brahms  (2017-01-11 22:37:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not one to harp on style but those RPOs look like shit. *
by irishaddict  (2017-01-11 17:09:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brian Kelly loves to run? *
by Russiandomer  (2017-01-11 17:06:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From blame. *
by MobileIrish  (2017-01-12 12:01:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.