When Brian Kelly's teams run the ball and control the clock
by JHND (2014-12-30 18:46:20)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Kelly let the offensive line win the game.  posted by FourLeafDomer

they win almost every damn game. Unfortunately, the only person who doesn't seem to get it is Brian Kelly. I know that a win like today doesn't make Kelly look as smart as does a 54-43 win with 550 passing yards, but even for him the feeling right now has to be pretty good, doesn't it? As was said below, had we committed to this gameplan all year, we might be playing on the 1st.

It's a head-scratcher to me.
by FourLeafDomer  (2014-12-30 18:51:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because I don't think Kelly really cares if he 'looks smart' in victory. He seems, to me, the kind of guy who would chew off his right arm to win a football game.

And given our suspensions and injuries on defense, I don't think there is any way we would have been a playoff team, regardless of the offensive gameplan. It likely would have been a better overall season though.

Speaking with former players from his D2 days
by cabnd00  (2014-12-30 18:59:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he's always been in love with big chunk plays. He can't help himself. One particular O-lineman I spoke with would get so frustrated when they were dominating the LOS and just bowling teams over, BK would still want the deep ball even though they could pound it down the other team's throat.

I don't expect he'll ever change, as he's had a few games at ND where he's had success with this formula, but he always reverts to his bullshit.

If Kelly was so interested in winning the game he would
by PabloFanque  (2014-12-30 18:58:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Run the fucking ball to set up the pass. Control the clock. Keep the defense off the field. Win the game. before today.

This is great stuff.Please post more of your thoughts *
by Rosecrea  (2014-12-30 19:02:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You realize that is what he did today
by tcfc  (2014-12-30 19:00:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and we needed a last second field goal to win.

The defense is historically awful. Simply running to control the clock was no guarantee that we'd win the game.

Who said anything about a guarantee? It gives us the best
by PabloFanque  (2014-12-30 19:06:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

chance to win. He finally tried it. He does that against NW, Louisville, ASU, USC....we might have ended up 10-2 instead of 7-5.....but wins aren't important. Running his Xbox offense is the goal.

I agree
by tcfc  (2014-12-30 19:14:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Watching the game it was frustrating that we hadn't run more often during the course of the year. The o-line played great today and I'm glad he finally played to that strength.

However, I think it's silly to blame everything that happened this year on the offense. The defense is really, really bad and no matter how much we controlled the clock we still were unable to stop teams.

Blame should fall on both sides of the ball.

The defense was bad. He couldn't do much to make it better.
by cabnd00  (2014-12-30 19:29:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK does, however, have control over the offensive gameplan every week. And he consistently failed in that regard. So the defense was bad - that gives the offense an excuse to have bullshit playcalling? What is your point?

That the defense was terrible
by TCFC  (2014-12-30 20:00:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He could have called every game like he did today and I doubt we'd be in the playoffs.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.