Leadership
by gr8flirish (2016-12-19 22:13:09)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Been thinking a lot about the negative impact of losing Stanley, Fuller, Jaylon, Elmer, Russell, etc. The impact extends far beyond the personnel/positional impact. If a leader of an organization (ie a head coach) doesn't plan ahead to fill an obvious and upcoming leadership void, some really bad shit can happen. You see it in sports and business all the time, and we saw it big time this season. For us it was the arrests, undisciplined play, poor tackling, penalties after coming out of time outs, sloppy special teams, the Tillery nonsense, etc, etc. Is it on the players? Sure, some of it. But leadership "in the trenches" and driven peer-to-peer creates, demands, and monitors accountability and personal responsibility. This is management 101. If, for example, Jaylon stayed (and wasn't hurt obviously) does anyone think we would have been a 4-8 team? I would bet big that the arrests never happen, the tackling would have been better, the discipline sharper, the special teams play less sloppy. Not because of Kelly and staff per se, but because the players would have been scared shitless of disappointing Jaylon. Kelly didn't account for this basic and manageable phenomenon. At least it so appears. Again, management 101 stuff that indicates he just doesn't get it.

Just spoke with 3 ND basketball players last night
by Kayo  (2016-12-20 11:58:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The topic was the basketball program's leadership culture. I have spoken with others about it earlier in the season.

Long story short, every underclassman understands that he has to learn to be a leader from the upperclassmen; and the upperclassmen understand that it's their time to step into the role as their elders move on. Brey's part is one-on-one mentoring.

Some seasons' leaders are better than others. Not everyone is going to be Rob Kurz, Tory Jackson, or Pat Connaughton; but everyone knows it's expected of the older guys. Because of that expectation, and because of the mentoring they have received, they aren't just ready to be leaders. They embrace the role.

I'm more inclined to ask about this stuff than the other basketball writers, so maybe we simply don't get such discussion from the football teams because nobody is asked. Nevertheless, I have not heard anything about carefully orchestrated leadership development from the football program. That leaves leadership from one year to the next to chance. If one or more players fill a void, that's great; but if they don't do it on their own, the team is rudderless.

Good Coaches tap leaders
by locolobo  (2016-12-20 13:22:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A good coach knows that team leaders make a great impact, sometimes more than the coach, especially during contentious times. He must get the right guys to buy into the leadership role early and groom them to be coaches on the field by example. It would not surprise me that Kelly, who himself lacks leadership skills would not grasp this concept.

How many student-athlete-leaders needed to combat this?
by irishfred  (2016-12-20 09:37:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rees was looking for 6-foot-3 Michael Floyd — a high-percentage play any other time but one that called merely for Notre Dame to pick a hash mark for its kicker. When cornerback John Flanders pulled down the interception of a poorly thrown ball in the end zone, Tulsa had a 28-27 victory considered the biggest in its football program's history.

"We're going to play aggressive, we're going to play smart,'' Kelly said, defending the indefensible. "I would make the call again.''

'Last time I checked it starts at the top.'
by irishhawk49  (2016-12-20 09:12:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Morgan Wooten
Head basketball coach at DeMatha HS for 46 years. 1274 W - 192L

Factoids: Pete Crotty and St Agnes beat them at Hofstra.
by cj  (2016-12-20 12:11:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Digger would recruit Crotty and Moriarty to Fordham. When Digger left Fordham he took Crotty along leaving "Mort". Dantley then showed up at ND taking Crotty's starting spot....

What a team: Alagia, Mahoney, et al
by BIG MAC  (2016-12-20 13:24:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That team was great to watch.

Fast break, full court pressure..... multiple defensive
by cj  (2016-12-20 15:37:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

zones..... Morris was off the coaching charts...visionary...CYO tradition was to break 100 at least once per year...6 minute quarters... 10-11 year olds...crazy

Interesting. I met PC's ex-wife at a seminar. She teaches
by irishhawk49  (2016-12-20 12:50:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

math in Cinci. Their sons were at St. X at the time, but that was eight or so years ago.
She just laughed when I asked her about Billy Paterno's apartment above Nicky's.

Every time I saw Paterno I simply said, "Pete Crotty"...
by cj  (2016-12-20 15:44:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Get over here Rockville Centre".... we had lots of fun at the local establishments....
One fb game day morning I was walking down ND avenue by the ND apartments. I saw BP working a keg...I called out "Pete Crotty". "Get over here". He reaches over the balcony and pulls me up. We had a great time. His Ali McGraw knock off girlfriend wasn't too happy though.... Holy Sh** that was an awesome day.

we were a bad defense with Jaylon last year
by jt  (2016-12-20 00:26:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we would have been bad with him this year as well.

The scheme is fundamentally unsound, just like all of the Rex Ryan shit that we see in the NFL. It leads to being sloppy and is very difficult to plug and play new guys because the learning curve is too steep.

It starts with the head coach; his job is to set the tone for the program and (in Lou Holtz's words) "to coach the assistant coaches." Kelly obviously ignored most of his responsibilities here and was basically the OC/QB coach and outsourced the rest of it. You see the results on the field and in his recruiting.

The juxtaposition from the Lou years is unbelieveable
by irishfred  (2016-12-20 00:17:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Watching Pat Eilers almost start crying when he recalls the famous "save Jimmy Johnson's ass for me" is all that you need to see to understand the difference between Lou (a leader) and whatever it is we have now...

Holtz' teams would run through a brick wall for their head coach. Alvarez calmed them down during times of extreme stress. They were controlled. They were committed. They would inspire. They would coach.

Lou saw Zorich crying and upset after the end of the 1987 season. He wanted him to be a major part of the team in the next year. He saw someone that cared immensely about ND football and wanted to place him in a situation to help the team win.

Lou placed Eilers into the game for a TD against Miami, who was an unlikely carrier at that time for a touchdown, because "He needed someone that he could count on. He makes us a better team."

Those dudes bought into what their leader was selling. They were crazed and would do whatever their coach told them to do.

Those well-coached teams won a lot of games. They almost won a few National Championships. That's what a leader does for a team.

Lou benched Tony Brooks and Ricky Watters for breaking team rules before the biggest game of their careers. They were back to South Bend on a plane immediately. Was there a leadership void on that field back in 1988 when they were to play USC as an undefeated ND team?

Back in 1988, the true leader was pacing the sidelines.

There's countless stories that you can tell about Lou's coaching tenure. Can you imagine the chances of our current head coach doing anything remotely similar in a analogous situation? Zero? None?

We are trying to deduce the reason why we are 4-8 by blaming the players for not exuding a sense of leadership on our football team? Because players graduated and left Notre Dame?

We have lost our minds.

Well said. *
by Moff  (2016-12-20 07:12:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Tim Brown had stayed in 1988, and we hadn't lost
by Moff  (2016-12-19 23:12:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the entire offensive line, the entire defensive line, both Academic All-American kickers, all the starting WRs, our senior QB, just about the entire defensive staff, an OLB, and two starting DBs, and did not have to start at least nine or ten guys (not to mention two kickers and two returners) who were brand new to college football or their positions, would we have avoided 4-8 and won the national championship? Could we have beaten the rest of the Top 5 (as opposed to a bunch of teams with losing records) on the way?

In 1993, if we hadn't lost the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft in Rick Mirer, #10 overall in Bettis, #17 overall in Tom Carter, #20 overall in Irv Smith, #34 Demetrius DuBose, #45 Reggie Brooks, 4th rounder Devon McDonald, 5th rounder Lindsey Knapp, and 8th Rounder Craig Hentrich, does anyone doubt we would not have gone 4-8 in 1993, especially if our presumptive starting QB didn't also break his collarbone right before the season? How could we hang with the team of the century, FSU?

This is college football. People graduate (or nowadays bug out before their eligibility is up to play elsewhere). You don't lose to Navy and Duke - teams that don't have a single damn player you would ever recruit - because some guys moved on. And they moved on for a reason. We didn't have "arrests, undisciplined play, poor tackling, penalties after coming out of time outs, sloppy special teams, the Tillery nonsense, etc, etc" when we lost the guys listed above to the NFL, or when Rocket left early. The guys we had this year were perfectly capable of beating the teams we played. We didn't chuck the ball all over the field in a hurricane due to a lack of leadership. It's the damn coaching.

I met Jaylon. He is a real nice guy. No one was scared shitless of him, any more than the other guys listed above. This isn't a business. It's Notre Dame Football. Or at least it was.

Fantastic post. The turnover and lost talent heading
by JoyceSouthGater  (2016-12-20 10:57:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

into that '88 season was incredible.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.