By "credible" I meant he had coached a major program
by BoogAlou (2014-12-30 11:10:11)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Go back and look at Willingham's record at Stanford  posted by irishguard78

for years, taken it to one Rose Bowl (something a number of PAC and Big10 schools have not done in my long life time), and had much more on his resume' than Faust and Davie, his immediate predecessors. And I know he lost a bunch of games too at a school that did not value football success much back then. I was not advocating he was the guy we should have hired but the suggestion that he did not have the resume' for the job does not square with ND's hiring history.
As to your other questions, please see my response to Ty Webb.

I think Davie was a stronger hire than Ty.
by tdiddy07  (2014-12-30 11:22:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ty's Rose Bowl team lost by 52 points to Texas. 52. Lost to a 3-7 San Jose St team. 3-7. It beat no ranked teams. The teams ranked at the time it beat in weeks 3 and 4 finished 6-6 and 4-7. The only ranked team in the conference (Oregon), it missed in its 8 game conference schedule. That team, which finished 8-4, is likely the worst Rose Bowl representative in PAC 10 history.

His resume squared with ND's mistake hires.........
by Ty Webb  (2014-12-30 11:15:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His resume didn't square with the successful coaches ND had hired.

So saying he had a better resume than Faust or Davie is a fairly meaningless point. His resume, when stacked up against Devine or Holtz or Ara, was a far cry short. Hence, why a lot of people at the time said it was a poor hire. And they were right.

We are talking past each other...I suppose due to
by BoogAlou  (2014-12-30 11:31:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the medium. My resume' point was in response to another post that suggested race was the reason for hiring Willingham. ND hired Faust and Davie, two guys with much weaker credentials than Ty and they failed. So if Ty's resume' was stronger, why assume he was hired due to race? And he wasn't even the first choice. I realize that was not your point.

Hiring Faust was done in a different era. Don't attribute
by irishguard78  (2014-12-30 11:51:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any racial thoughts into that hire. Quotas and racial thoughts were not part of FR. Joyce's thought process back then. He looked at Faust as being a good coach and a very nice man. Faust is and was a very nice man.

Davie was probably more of a "hire the next guy in line after firing Holtz" thing. They just got tired of Holtz and wanted him gone. Davie looked the part. It was a poor hire, just like Faust, O'Leary, Willinghan, Weis and Kelly were poor hires.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.