I addressed the central casting comment.
by tdiddy07 (2014-12-30 10:49:13)
[ Delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: White's "central casting" comment to the contrary.  posted by BoogAlou

I just didn't give you the answer you wanted to hear. Yes, I agree that O'Leary had an advantage in his favor. But it wasn't whiteness. It's Irish Catholicity. And a propensity to like ND. ND is deathly afraid to hire someone who isn't committed to admissions and administrative goals because they're afraid of having a coach perceived to be bigger than the program.

You largely ignored my post. It was fairly common at the time. Malloy was very race conscious. As anyone who had him guest lecture in a business course knew when I was in school, Malloy knows black people and has many black friends. Just ask him. He'll be excited to talk about it. His comments to SI in 2002 indicated that ND's role in setting an example were strong motivators in Ty's hiring. These facts were common to those who closely followed the university, may be a better way to put it.

I didn't address your original question because I responded to your follow up post, not your original post. Generally one is not expected to address all possible issues raised by a poster. I'm sure others will sufficiently address your main question. But my answer is no. It should not be a consideration at all. They should hire whomever is the best person for the job. And if "he'll be great at connecting to recruits because he's black" is a strong reason in one's favor, that's likely wishful thinking that is hiding shortcomings. Ty was ND's worst recruiter of all time in addition to being a terrible coach. It was also a primary motivation for hiring Corwin Brown when he had never been a coordinator before--a position he was effectively relieved of within two years.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.