Do we know that the read option has not been practiced
by bandfather (2014-12-29 15:55:21)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: We needed to practice that approach since August for it  posted by btd

Throughout the year? Perhaps it has been, and the QB that can run it better has not been playing?

That makes no sense whatsoever
by HTownND  (2014-12-29 18:29:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We aren't wasting precious practice time on plays we have no intent of running during the game, with a QB who saw zero meaningful minutes before the final game of the season.

The amount of read option we saw this year is relative to the amount of time we practiced it, ie not very much at all.

Back to hiding out.

That's my theory too. My other theory is we practiced it a
by btd  (2014-12-29 20:27:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lot during our bowl practices. Thus, we will run it much more. Fortunately Kelly decided to declare the starter before the game to let LSU think about it just a tad bit more before the game. Anyway, I expect LSU to stuff it because they know it is coming and our overall running game is so limited that they can just gear up for this.

Now, had we practiced it all year -- which we agree we didn't -- there is some slim chance MZ would execute it really well along with the rest of the offense doing the same and maybe we would even have some kind of pass option off of it that we could catch LSU by surprise on -- or it would be on film and maybe a DB or LB would have to ponder that element as he crashed down on the QB or the pitch man.

Maybe we would have some other running plays from similar formations too, passes off them, etc -- so LSU pretty much didn't know what was coming each play.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.