Hire a person who will be an outstanding HC at ND. The
by KevinPS (2014-12-29 14:10:42)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: How would you fix ND football?  posted by Ty Webb

rest of the stuff is just crap and window dressing. No highly ranked team has a significant number of JUCOs. The Gug is fine. The administration needs to make the right hire for HC and that's it. And, no kidding, I'd hire Lou to be a caretaker for a year to wait for the right guy. With our talent, he'd win at least 11 next year.

The problem is that that any A-list coach
by MNG  (2014-12-29 14:29:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is going to demand some of the stuff Ty is talking about. ND needs a stud coach far more than any elite coach needs ND.

Agreed, plus I think we're beoyond the 'Ara proves ND just
by irishbarrister  (2014-12-29 16:51:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

needs to hire the right guy to succeed' argument.

A few comments............
by Ty Webb  (2014-12-29 14:15:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One, the point on JUCOs is not to suddenly start grabbing JUCOs left and right. It's to strategically and sporadically use them to fill holes. Sure, Bama doesn't win with just JUCOs, but they've used them to fill unexpected holes that developed due to injuries, recruiting busts, etc.

The Gug might be "fine" but it's not the best. And it goes beyond the actually design. A constant desire to upgrade and keep the Gug at the top of the facilities arms race shows a true commitment to the program.

Let's recall that the Gug only got built because the donors threaten to pull the donation as ND delayed the project and tried to get them to move the funds into other projects. The Gug wasn't the result of forward thinking by ND. It was the result of ND being threatened.

I'll start with a who will be an outstanding HC at ND.
by KevinPS  (2014-12-29 15:48:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The other issues aren't so problematic that they'll hinder performance.

They are important enough...........
by Ty Webb  (2014-12-29 15:58:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that elite coaches like Saban and others demand them.

Absolutely, hiring a great coach is essential and the most important aspect to all of this. But there's a reason why guys like Meyer and Saban want the best facilities, the best training methods, the best nutrition programs, etc.

ND needs to change everything. Coaching, investment in the program, etc.

They were at least looking at that JUCO RB, Jeremy Smith
by ghop  (2014-12-29 14:46:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was supposed to visit for the football banquet, but it got canceled. I'm not sure of the reason for the cancellation, but it seems that ND may be at least entertaining the idea of junior college players.

I was just looking at Alabama's roster as a gauge.
by WilfordBrimley  (2014-12-29 14:31:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think they have five JUCO's on the roster with two starters (Jarran Reed and Leon Brown) and another that gets some snaps (DJ Pettway).

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.