I agree ...
by gadomer (2014-12-27 17:25:13)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: There's an obvious reason why this isn't official yet  posted by ShermanOaksND

but if the Falcons lose tomorrow, I can see ownership getting rid of Smith and Dimitroff and making an offer to Harbaugh he can't refuse.

In a way, it is a shame. Smith has done a pretty good job of making chicken salad out of a chickenshit team. I can see Blank giving Harbaugh full control over all player personnel decisions; with a bump in pay. Funny thing, Blank is supposed to have a new stadium in place by 2017.

Perhaps, but it isn't entirely up to Harbaugh
by ShermanOaksND  (2014-12-27 17:32:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The 49ers don't have to let him go to another NFL team unless they feel they're adequately compensated for his departure. That's a bargaining chip the 49ers don't possess with respect to Michigan, and unfortunately that might end up as a decisive reason why Harbaugh ends up in Ann Arbor.

That assumes the 49ers don't fire Harbaugh on Monday
by tf86  (2014-12-27 19:50:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not so sure that doesn't happen.

they'll want the buyout at a minimum
by jt  (2014-12-27 20:12:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They want him at um

I think Oakland will go all in
by Groundhog  (2014-12-27 17:49:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After failing to get Gruden to return, they'll give Harbaugh virtually anything he wants. The one huge issue is what they're willing to give to the 49ers.

No, compensation to the Niners isn't the biggest issue
by jt  (2014-12-27 19:08:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

stability of home stadium is.

The Niners are going to let him walk for almost nothing; the buyout and a low round pick, perhaps. If he wants to take his staff with him (Fangio) they might ask for more than that.

Then he becomes Michigan's version of John McLeod
by gadomer  (2014-12-27 17:44:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a guy who would abandon ship upon the first call from the NFL.

Back story: A friend of mine was recruited by ND around 1995 and was an early committal. ND was the only D I offer he had. That summer, was invited to Las Vegas to play in a Nike camp. It was during this camp that he hung 50 on Kobe Bryant.
Well, offers and phone calls came out of the woodwork. His father told him to give ND his entire respect because they offered him when no one else would sniff at him. He made a recruiting visit to ND and asked McLeod one question; if the NBA called you with a job offer, what would you do?

McLeod's answer: I would be out of here in a heartbeat.

He went to FSU where he became an Academic All-American but the guy who recruited him, Pat Kennedy, left for DePaul the next year. The guy who replace Kennedy was a jerk.

the difference between Harbaugh and McLeod
by jt  (2014-12-27 19:09:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harbaugh would lie to the recruit and not think twice about it. Ask Alex Smith.

Meyer, Saban, Harbaugh and yes O'Leary. Good coaches are
by Raoul  (2014-12-27 19:22:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

high paid liars. They sell the dream to every recruit. That's what they do for a living. And coaches all understand this well.

when's a coach not telling the complete truth?
by jt  (2014-12-27 21:23:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when his lips are moving.

Most good coaches would be used car salesmen if not
by Raoul  (2014-12-27 21:29:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coaching. I am willing to cut them slack. They are selling 17-23 year olds on a dream.

that's why I would much prefer being an NFL coach
by jt  (2014-12-27 21:40:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you can actually focus on coaching and not all the other bullshit.

Is compensation due if for a coach/GM role? *
by fontoknow  (2014-12-27 17:34:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

yes. Either way he is under contract
by jt  (2014-12-27 17:38:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hell, if a team wanted to sign him to the active roster and have him suit up and play they would need permission from SF.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.