Read the Observer article linked below, and contrast it to
by VaDblDmr (2014-12-26 11:14:39)
Edited on 2014-12-26 11:29:41
[ Delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Please link quote *  posted by Friar

what he said six Decembers ago. Six years ago, he made it clear that making a change was at least on the table and that expectations weren't being met. Now, he's delighted with Kelly, who is meeting Swarbrick's expectations. As I said, we can't blame Swarbrick for being dishonest. The relevant quotes are below.

Now (in the midst of a year 5, likely 7-6 campaign):

“He’s on a very cold seat,” Swarbrick said. “I think the foundation of the program is as strong as it’s been in my seven years here. In terms of the quality of the players, the depth, the services that support football, in terms of strength and conditioning, nutrition, medical services, our facilities, the foundation is in great shape.”

Swarbrick added Kelly’s performance as head coach during his five-year stint with Notre Dame has been consistent with his expectations when he brought Kelly in.

Then (in the midst of a year 4, 7-6 campaign):

"Though this past season fell short of the expectations that all of us have for our football program, I am confident that Charlie has a strong foundation in place for future success and that the best course of action is to move forward under his leadership," athletic director Jack Swarbrick said in a statement released by the university Wednesday.

Swarbrick said he made the decision to keep Weis after talking with Notre Dame's president, the Rev. John Jenkins. Swarbrick met with Weis in California on Tuesday to review this past season and discuss next season.

"He, I and the others involved in leading our football program are committed to doing everything necessary to ensure a successful 2009 season," Swarbrick said. "We are examining every aspect of the program and will make changes wherever we think they are needed."

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. is not responsible for its contents.