Suppose Kelly coaches at ND for two more seasons...
by irisharab (2014-12-20 10:05:15)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

The reason why I have him coaching for two more seasons in this hypothetical is that it would bring him to seven full seasons at ND. This would be the same length as Elmer Layden, who was the longest tenured ND football coach who did not win a National Championship. Moreover, only four men ever coached the ND football team for 8 or more seasons. Three of them (Rockne, Leahy, and Ara) won multiple championships, and the fourth (Holtz) arguably deserved a second championship in 1993.

Anyway, let's suppose that at the end of the 2016 season, Kelly does not leave voluntarily (NFL, another college, retirement, etc.). The only choices are to retain him or fire him.

If he had not won a championship by 2016, would you fire him?

If you would consider retaining him beyond the 2016 season, despite not winning a national championship, what would he have to accomplish during the next two seasons in order to keep him (i.e. two playoff appearances, one playoff and one access bowl appearance, etc.)?

If Kelly isn't going to win a national championship at ND ..
by CJC  (2014-12-21 00:38:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(and I'll let you in on a little secret ... he's not), I'd rather have Gerry Faust coach Notre Dame. Starting tomorrow.

Of all the failed ND head coaches in my lifetime, Faust left the team in the best shape for his successor.

Let that sink in for a while.

in this hypothetical, how did the team perform?
by gozer  (2014-12-21 00:04:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, you said "no championship", but there's a wide range to that. From "we went 2-22 in the 2015 and 2016 seasons" to "we got jobbed by the refs in the title game twice in a fucking row".

In the case of the latter it would take a true moron to fire him. In the case of the former it would take a true moron to have kept him for '16. In the far more probable case of 2 years where (and I'll be a little generous here) we go 10-3 twice, 1-1 in bowel games... I'd say probably time to move on.

Layden deserved a sixth year. Kelly does not.
by Revue Party  (2014-12-20 10:36:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Layden went into the last game of his fifth year ranked number 1, having won 77% of his games as coach of Notre Dame. He finished that year ranked 5th. He finished his fourth year ranked 9th.

Kelly went into the last game of his fifth year riding a three game losing streak and one of the worst defensive stretches in Notre Dame football. He was 7-4 and sinking fast. That was after finishing

I don't see a need to speculate on whether I'd keep him after 2016 because there's no logic in keeping him after 2014.

The book is written. Further,
by cujays96  (2014-12-20 10:24:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

after next season Kelly is likely to start seeking an extension if he at all intends to stay. His deal expires after 2018(?). Coaches don't coach to the end of their contracts in college football unless they aren't going to be retained.

I thought it was 2017 *
by Groundhog  (2014-12-20 11:45:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can never have enough data points *
by Chuck84  (2014-12-20 10:16:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.