That is not at all what I am saying
by Carroll02 (2014-12-17 16:09:26)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Did you see the game live? You may certainly take issue  posted by cj

I am saying the game has been mythologized. The way it is told is not how it really happened, and the difference is more so than any other incident in ND history.

The myth (the way it has been told):
Joe Montana was dying of hypothermia in the locker room when he heard the crowd roar for another Houston touchdown. He gulped down some soup, rushed back out, and led ND back from 34-12 to win the game, 35-34.

What really happened:
After Montana came back, he had five possessions in which he went 1/12 with two interceptions. Not until special teams blocked a punt and returned it for a touchdown did the comeback begin. Montana led them on another impressive touchdown drive on their next possession, but then on the next drive, fumbled the ball. He was given another chance with a short field when Houston went for it on 4th down and failed. He only needed 29 yards for the winning touchdown.

I don't like saying that one of ND's legendary moments has been inflated in the telling, but it has.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.