Games where expectations for ND's chances were lower?
by PeteatND (2014-12-17 15:08:47)
Edited on 2014-12-17 16:33:28
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

After taking two minutes to think (for the first time) about our upcoming bowl game, it occured to me that couldn't remember having lower expectations for a Notre Dame game - at least not in the last 10 years.

Put simply, the strength of LSU's pass defense -- to which, despite all statistical evidence suggesting the contrary, Kelly's pop-gun offense will inevitably be attracted -- combined with their near-certain ability to run the football against our depleted defensive line, leaves me with an expectation of victory that approaches nil. I'll call it 1%, which is probably 9% lower than any other game since the Willingham era.

Even in Weis' tenure, including 2007, I'm not sure I felt this pessimistic. By the time we knew how shitty the team was in '07, the schedule had already softened and our chances seemed marginally improved. In my mind, the only contenders I could identify since '04 USC were:

- Stanford in 2011
- USC in 2008

Any other possibilities? Am I underestimating our chances? I'll cop to watching very little of the Louisville or USC games.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.