Although he did have some headscratching losses
by NDColt (2014-12-17 12:35:05)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: it was obvious that he was a good coach while at MSU *  posted by brnd

Lost 38-0 to a 7-5 Stanford team coached by Ty.
Lost to 5-6 Minnesota in his 4th season.

Of course, the full body of work to include consistent year over year improvement showed his potential.

It is likely also that he improved with experience
by KevinG  (2014-12-17 12:46:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At the time he left MSU, he had 6 total years of head coaching experience (5 at MSU, 1 at Toledo). It was far from obvious at that point that he would be an all-time great. Keep in mind that at MSU he was dealing with scholarship reductions leftover from Perles until his final season.

Of course, within 2 years he won the SEC at LSU, and in 4 years won the National Championship. I recall his name being mentioned in the 2nd tier of candidates during the post-Davie searches. While he would have been preferential to Ty at the time, I think that based on existing evidence in December of 2001, O'Leary would have been considered the more solid hire. I have also heard rumors that Monk nixed a potential Saban hire in favor of Ty during the 2nd search in December of 2001.

Either way, by the time Alabama hired him, he had 11 years of D-1A head coaching experience, 10 years of major conference experience, and an additional 2 years of NFL head coaching experience. A more experienced, more seasoned, and likely more skilled coach than the one who left East Lansing for Baton Rouge in 1999.

About Monk,
by cujays96  (2014-12-17 12:56:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I understand it. ND had Gruden all but wrapped up BEFORE O'Leary but Monk nixed it fearing a "cult of personality". There is a story that Gruden told Callahan, "Pack your bags. We're going to South Bend." before Monk intervened.

White went back to Gruden after the O'Leary debacle. Monk really wanted Ty all along. Gruden pretty much told White to pound sand because "the priest screwed it up." At that point, Monk basically told White who to hire.

The Gruden & Callahan thing was reported by our favorite...
by KevinG  (2014-12-17 13:13:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...David Haugh in the South Bend Tribune. That archive is no longer available, but I believe was reported in the run-up to the Gruden vs. Callahan Super Bowl.

Regarding Monk - fuck him.

Monk also ordered/restricted the timing.
by The Beef  (2014-12-17 13:11:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Monk was heading out of the country for a trip and refused to consider any candidate other than those previously interviewed which severely limited the search. It made Willingham one of the only candidates left.

T

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.