Dan Mullen seems like the obvious low-hanging fruit hire
by irishaddict (2014-12-16 18:20:18)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: If by 'viable' you mean upper echelon -  posted by ugoirish

I personally think he would be a pretty big upgrade over Kelly and would be happy to have him. But I agree that he's not an upper-echelon coach and maybe he wouldn't be as easy a hire as I think.

Why do you assume Mullen is low hanging fruit?
by rockmcd  (2014-12-16 21:42:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a shitload of money to be made in the SEC. Even if he wants to eventually leave Miss St, his view of upward mobility may be to bounce around within the conference the way that Saban, Petrino, and Spurrier have done in the past.

Meh. I hope it's not him. *
by Skip Encarnacion  (2014-12-16 20:28:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd be pretty happy with him also.
by ugoirish  (2014-12-16 18:45:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he'd satisfy the "highly competitive in one of the top conferences" piece. He probably wouldn't be my first choice but he'd be a definite upgrade over Kelly.

Even that's giving him too much credit.
by BMEYER06  (2014-12-16 19:17:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's a flavor-of-the-month guy. He has lost more SEC games than he's won.

If he hadn't, he wouldn't be on anybody's list
by rkellyatrecess  (2014-12-16 20:05:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Top SEC coaches are untouchable. No other jobs can offer the same combination of money and availability of talent.

He's a "candidate" precisely because he's done very well
by Rosecrea  (2014-12-16 21:38:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with less talent "available" to him than almost any other SEC school other than Vanderbilt.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.