Not all QB competitions are bad.
by rockmcd (2014-12-16 13:20:06)
[ Delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Is there a downside?  posted by NDMike2001

In this case we have 2 talented athletes who were recruited for the purpose of becoming the starting QB. I'm okay with that and may the best man win because we ought to have a high ceiling with either guy.

I think that's a little bit different than what we had in 2011. Dayne Crist was a 5-star recruit, while Rees was recruited to be a career backup. There never should have been a competition. If Crist had even remotely reached his potential, then he would have been the unquestioned starter in 2011 and 2012.

Slight nitpick and not to diminish your point: We had a QB competition 4 out of 6 years, not 5 of 6. Crist was the unquestioned starter in 2010 until he got injured, and Rees was the unquestioned starter throughout all of 2013 (and Golson would have been the unquestioned starter had he not been suspended). I would even argue that Kelly rigged the 2012 competition for Golson (which I was okay with) and only gave lip service to the idea that there was a real competition. Even when Golson struggled at times, Kelly referred to Rees as a "relief pitcher".

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.