Bill Walsh
by plaid_pants (2014-12-15 14:42:49)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Name the top suspects in bringing ND football down.  posted by mkovac

There was a time when men played football by running the ball between the tackles, and life was good.

Bill Walsh figured out that if he could teach his team to complete a 1 yard hitch to a Wide Receiver with a 67% success rate, the results would be as good as a run and he could therefore be more unpredictable on offense.

Bill Walsh's West Coast offense goes on to be bastardized by small schools into the Run and Shoot and later the Spread. Steve Spurrier becomes the biggest bastard who decides that a big team with big talent can use spread principles and as many offensive snaps as possible to maximize their talent gap.

Lou Holtz, like Skywalker, defeats the forces of evil by chomping Spurrier in the Sugar Bowl. This moment should have been the death knell for the G-A-S offense.

But then that darn Bill Walsh defeats one of Lou Holtz's best teams 9 months later 33-16 in South Bend. Now, Notre dame must compete against Stanford for smart football players, and the decline would start some 18 months or so after that game.

Bill Walsh changed the course of football forever, and I would say for evil.

Walsh learned everything he knew from Sid Gilman (link)
by olson  (2014-12-15 14:57:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he probably picked up one or two nuggets from
by ugoirish  (2014-12-15 15:44:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Paul Brown and Al Davis also. To be fair to your point, Davis got most of what he knew from Gilman. But Walsh didn't devise the basis of the offense he became famous for until the Bengals acquired Virgil Carter.

Didn't Leahy hire Gilman to coach the Chargers?

Yes sir! *
by Leahy  (2014-12-15 16:53:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Al Davis definitely
by jt  (2014-12-15 15:55:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

credits him in one of his books ("Building a Champion"). I don't recall him giving Paul Brown much credit, but I might be mistaken.

I don't think they had any relationship left after he didn't
by ugoirish  (2014-12-15 16:22:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

get the Bengals HC job when Brown retired. I just assumed he picked up a few things from the guy after working for him for 10 years and considering the high regard in which Brown is held among the pantheon of coaches, including by Ara.

everything starts with the 4 vertical
by jt  (2014-12-15 15:28:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the passing tree builds off of that play. That is a Gilman principle that has been adapted by many others, notably Walsh. The west coast offense really takes advantage of routes in the middle of the field.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.