What you're describing...
by BigNDfan (2014-12-15 11:41:01)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: One coach's game plan played to his team's strengths  posted by El Kabong

is just some crappy decisions by Kelly.

I don't think Chryst did anything to force Kelly to throw the ball more in the 2nd half.

I guess this comes down to how you define being "out-coached".

Kelly's game plan all year was pass-heavy.

good Lord *
by jt  (2014-12-15 16:07:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thus, he was out-coached all year. *
by tdiddy07  (2014-12-15 14:05:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One coach has an average gameplan, one has a poor one.
by AquinasIrish  (2014-12-15 12:00:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which one coached better in that game? Who outcoached whom?

No one is saying Chryst was Nick Saban. Kelly choosing to execute a poor gameplan means he was "outcoached" by the guy on the other sideline who chose to execute an average or slightly above average gameplan.

You say "just some crappy decisions by Kelly" as if it was just a thing that happened and has no bearing on who was the better coach in the game.

I don't look at head to head match-ups that way.
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-15 12:06:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly's coaching decisions had a bearing on the outcome. As did Rees playing like garbage. As did not picking up a fumble. As did Tuitt getting ejected.

Kelly choosing to throw the ball too much in the 2nd half doesn't make me sit back and say - Man, that Chryst really out-coached Kelly.

if Chryst was coaching ND that night, he would have beat
by irishrock  (2014-12-15 12:10:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pitt and that is my definition of outcoaching the other.

Kelly doesn't play to his team strengths, he plays to the Super Nintendo 64 Tecmo Bowl game he used to play in the fraternity...and if he didn't get the Raiders with Bo Jackson, his face turned a nasty purple.

Do you think Chryst coached a better game than Kelly?
by AquinasIrish  (2014-12-15 12:07:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If so, why in the hell wouldn't you say he outcoached him? No one's claiming he was a chess grandmaster, flustering Kelly at every turn. Just that Chryst had his team prepared with a good gameplan and Kelly did not. That's simple enough. Chryst got a B, or whatever, and Kelly got a D. If it were a math test, who outperformed whom?

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.