I do, but likely not as much as you.
by rkg (2014-12-14 20:05:53)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: do you even lift, bro? *  posted by jt

The Latin comment was elitist on his part. He demanded the bro. Sorry, if it offended you…again.

It wasn't elitist
by Kayo  (2014-12-14 20:24:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Speaking as someone who took Latin for four years, the opportunity to enjoy some of mankind's greatest poetry, works of fiction, and transcribed oratory in the native language and to apply some the literary techniques to a lifetime of writing was hardly a useless exercise. Your comment was ignorant.

The real ignorance
by captaineclectic  (2014-12-16 10:23:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was assuming that to pass a Latin midterm, one needed to be "fluent." Au contraire (a phrase I don't know the Latin equivalent for.) One only needs to know how to recognize cognates, a smattering of verb forms, and the plot of the Aeneid to be able to deceive the world's greatest educational institutions into thinking you're a classics scholar.

And I took 4 years of Latin and 4 years of Greek
by Twinkie the Kid  (2014-12-14 21:04:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a douchey comment. Given the demographics of this board, I imagine plenty of posters have studied Latin.

But at the same time, I enjoy reading the banter.

Bingo, how many guys went to Catholic HS back in the day
by rkg  (2014-12-14 21:13:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Latin was either strongly encouraged or required.

Again, nothing against Latin it's a beautiful language, but if you take Spanish at least can watch the Spanish soap operas or talk to babes in the native tongue at certain global hotspots not to mention Cinco De Mayo.

Again, the Catholic Mass in Latin is a BEAUTIFUL thing~! IF THE YOU HAVE THE CHANCE GO, YOU'LL LOVE IT~!

There are two reasons to learn a language
by Kayo  (2014-12-14 21:56:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Conversation and literature. Literature is all Latin has to offer at this point.

Conversational skills allow people to experience the culture personally regardless of whether they take the time to read the great literary works of that language. However, I think you're discounting the value of native language literature too cavalierly, and not just the value of Latin literature.

I have nothing against Latin.
by rkg  (2014-12-14 23:01:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's great that you studied and enjoy Latin. Literature is NOT all Latin has to offer.

It's been said that when you pray, pray in Latin. To quote: When you pray in Latin, you are praying in union with the rest of the Church in the same universal language the Roman Church has prayed for practically her entire existence.

I'm Catholic. I go to mass every Sunday and aim to go 2 times a week minimum. I encourage you if you are able to attend mass in Latin if you can. You'll feel refreshed.

My original point, which may have not been made as eloquently as I would have like, was that playing Navy is unnecessarily tedious where we have to "put what we have learned all year to get ready for an offense we likely see only once a year", which was not unlike my educational experience with Latin.

well, next year we will see it twice *
by jt  (2014-12-15 00:41:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, it wasn't.
by rkg  (2014-12-14 20:37:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Taking Latin for the average student serves little to no purpose, aside from some help in obscure vocabulary.

The Catholic Mass in Latin is beautiful. You'll get no argument from me.

IMHO, the accusation wasn't based on my personal feelings of Latin, but more of George Clooney-esque slam at what he perceived to be my lack of personal interaction w/ Latin.

Didn't mean to offend you. Enjoy your Latin.

(My 2 cents: Across (or Bro if you like) wasn't defending Latin, as it was just an example of what Navy is w/r/g to our schedule. He was trying to personally attack me to discredit my opinion instead of hashing it out like a man or woman as the case might be.)

it's all good bro *
by jt  (2014-12-14 20:17:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like it~! Thanks. Sorry 'bout the Niners, but still not
by rkg  (2014-12-14 20:38:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as bad as the Bears.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.