When men were men-and Notre Dame ran the ball
by olson (2014-04-22 11:32:12)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

The game only lasted 33 minutes...and Notre Dame ran for 27 touchdowns....ND did not pass the football in this contest

October 28, 1905

Final Notre Dame 142 American Medical 0

Touchdowns counted for 5 points-ND missed 20 extra points for the day(the ND Scholastic lamented that ND could have scored more points except for 'the all time low in place-kicking').

The 1st half lasted 25 minutes:halftime score ND 111 American Med. 0

The second half was called after 8 minutes-in order to allow the 'doctors' to eat lunch before catching their train home.

Per the Scholastic-re on the game being called early: "And anyway the score suited them(the Medics)as it stood."

The ND Scholastic complained that the ND defense didn't get to show their stuff:

"On defense we had no chance to show what we could do as the Medics fumbled or mixed their signals so that they never gained an inch, in fact, lost ground every time they had the ball which, it must be mentioned in passing, was very seldom."

At one point the ND players switched positions with the linemen taking turns in the backfield- with the backs playing in the line. ND's linemen actually ran for more tds than the backs did in this contest. Starting center 'Bud' Sheehan ran for 3 tds-the same total as ND QB Silver and LHB Bracken.

The ND Scholastic noted that ND played without starting LT Funk(his replacement,Munson, scored 2 tds).

A New York Sun article on the game compared ND to Michigan's 'point a minute' team of Fielding Yost (quote):

"Yost's hurry-up system is now a mere tortoise..."

A later article on this game in the ND Scholastic of the 1940s added:

"American Medical never played Notre Dame again."

Was Kelly's great grandfather the special teams coach? *
by doolinbanjos  (2014-04-22 19:34:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually they weren't that manly
by nd67  (2014-04-22 15:10:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND was shut out 3 times that year including 0-5 by that
power house Wabash but they did beat a Chicago H.S. team
44-0 and Bennett Medical College 22-0.

Fat Eddie, respectfully, disagrees with this message *
by Frank Drebin  (2014-04-22 15:14:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this board goes apespit when we schedule Temple *
by shamrock  (2014-04-22 14:02:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm pretty sure we could do this today if that Kelly wasn't
by Rosecrea  (2014-04-22 13:19:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

such a dumb ass. You need to impose your will on the other team.
NBC would be pissed though because it would be tough to get an hour and half worth of commercials and promos on the air in only 33 minutes.

Commercial after the touchdown and following kick off. NBC
by Beaknd  (2014-04-22 13:49:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would have a hard on for that kind of score!

Amazing. What is ND's worse loss?
by mkovac  (2014-04-22 12:45:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm too lazy to check on College Football Data Warehouse.

I'm pretty sure you have it at your golden fingertips.

Based on being outclassed, USC in 2007.
by BoogAlou  (2014-04-22 21:34:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The score was only 38-0 or so but USC could have scored a hundred. The contrast between teams reminded me of when Digger ran out the clock against UCLA when we were down by about 40 and on national TV.

"2nd half" of USC game in 1974...... *
by Harv79Pangborn  (2014-04-22 13:48:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

USC played absolutely perfect football for 30 minutes
by dbldomer7375  (2014-04-22 15:37:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I hated them for it.

There were time when I wondered if they scored again or it was a replay.

The 1964,1970, and 1974 losses were hard because each one
by OldIrishFan  (2014-04-22 15:22:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

cost us a National Championship

an aside: ND actually was behind at halftime of the '70 game
by olson  (2014-04-22 15:33:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND trailed 10-24 at half in '70 (losing 28-38)

It was the very first time that an Ara coached Irish team trailed in a game vs USC at halftime...the '69 game was 0-0 at half...the Irish were ahead at half in all of the others(up to 1970).....later, the Irish would trail at half in both the '71 (7-28) and '72 (10-19) games....

Ara was only behind USC at half in 3 games in his ND career but finished 3-6-2 vs the Trojans

You probably remember the criticism of Ara for a few
by BoogAlou  (2014-04-22 21:44:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

years, that he couldn't win the big ones -- and then came the second Cotton Bowl against Texas...

This is the correct answer (while not numerically). The 1974
by OldIrishFan  (2014-04-22 15:05:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

team was still in the hunt for the NC. That game left psychological scars that will last a lifetime. We dominated the first half and then boom....

Ara almost always led at halftime
by olson  (2014-04-22 14:18:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

24-6 halftime lead vs USC in '74

In '67, the Irish led USC 7-0 at half(and lost 24-7...fumbling the 2nd half kickoff....etc)

In '67, ND only trailed once at halftime(vs Miami in the final...and the Irish won that game)

Hell, even Hugh Devore only trailed one time at halftime in 1963(swear to God) and finished 2-7

EDIT: I was considering not bring this up but-ND led USC 17-0 at halftime of the '64 game too

I will guess that one time in '63 was Navy. *
by RocketShark  (2014-04-22 14:48:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

nope
by olson  (2014-04-22 15:01:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Navy scored 28 points in the second half in 63 to win 35-14.....

the game was tied 7-7 at half

1963 halftime scores:

G1 Wis 9-7 ND led at half (ND lost on late td 9-14)

G 2 Pur 6-0 ND led (ND lost on late td AND had a winning FG attempt blocked)

G 3 USC 14-14 tie (ND won over defending National Champs 17-14)

G 4 UCLA 14-6 ND led (ND won 27-12)

G 5Stan 14-0 ND led (ND gave up 24 unanswered points to lose 24-14)

G 6 Navy 7-7 tie (28 2nd half points given up by Irish)

G 7 PITT 7-12 PITT led (only time ND trailed at half-lost 7-27)

G 8 MSU 7-6 ND led (leading ND failed to score from inside 20 twice in 4th Q and then gave up a 85 yd td run by Sherman Lewis(after giving the ball up on downs at the 15) late in game

G 9 Syra 7-6 ND led at half (of course Syra scored late in the 4th to win

I was at both ND/SC games.
by mkovac  (2014-04-22 14:42:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ugh.

11/11/1944: #1 Army 59 - #5 ND 0 @ Yankee Stadium (link)
by IrishTrpt07  (2014-04-22 12:52:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By the numbers, yes.
by Bruno95  (2014-04-22 13:06:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What was the "worst" loss, subjectively? The 1944 season was completely explicable -- the war took even Leahy away from the team.

In my time following ND, a few losses stand out:

1994: Boston College 30, Notre Dame 11. A year after the '93 heartbreaker, ND should have put BC through the woodchipper. Instead, my least-favorite Holtz team laid down and were run over by an unranked BC team.

2004: USC 41, Notre Dame 10. Ty's third straight 31-point loss to USC. Carroll rubbed it in at the end, padding Leinart's Heisman candidacy with a late TD pass.

2007: Air Force 41, Notre Dame 24. ND's worst team, blown out by a modern-day service academy. This loss somehow flies under the radar in discussions of the 2007 season, but it shouldn't.

2008: BC 17, ND 0. ND had 66 yards rushing and five turnovers.

2010: Navy 35, ND 17. Diaco's defense gave up 367 yards rushing. ND was behind 35-10 with a few minutes left in the game.

The 2007 Navy loss has to be in there.
by HowardRoark  (2014-04-22 14:58:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the 2009 Navy loss. Circumstances be damned, I consider any loss to Navy a fireable offense.

We beat Navy in 2008, lost again in '09 & '10 *
by TCFC  (2014-04-22 15:59:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fixed, thanks.
by HowardRoark  (2014-04-22 18:04:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I should have remembered that we lost to them at home twice in a row. In my defense, 2008 and 2009 were virtually indistinguishable seasons.

What a gross win 2008 was, though
by shea  (2014-04-22 22:48:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was the only Navy game I didn't attend while a student. 0-3 in person.

Of course the most depressing thing
by TCFC  (2014-04-22 19:45:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is realizing how many times we've lost to Navy in the last 7 years.

As well as
by gadomer  (2014-04-23 11:01:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how many times we dodged a loss (By my count twice).

The Tiers(Tears?) of 2007
by potatohouse  (2014-04-22 14:53:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(*Edited to add pretty things like bolded text).

Maybe I had just stopped caring by that point, but Air Force was one of the least offensive losses of that season...relatively speaking.

Here is how I would group the games in that three-month soul-sucking dumpster fire that reportedly took place in the fall of 2007:

GROUP A: I Almost Can't Describe How Hideous This Is

1. Georgia Tech - It gets the top spot because no one saw it coming. And it was the season opener. And it was about a 9.5/10 on the humiliation scale. AND...(this is the biggest part)...it robbed us all of what should have been a beautiful untainted experience of seeing Michigan lose to a 1-AA team the same day. It was like getting fired from your job the same day you find out the co-worker you hate the most has gonorrhea.

2. Michigan - This sucked completely because up until this game, there was still a chance that Michigan was actually worse than us. We all had some little voice in our hearts that said "You know what? They're 0-2, also. There is a chance they are an even bigger pile of dogshit than what we've seen so far. We might come out and beat their helpless asses and then maybe this nightmare start to the season could get a little bit brighter." And all that did happen. Only it happened for Michigan.

GROUP B: You've Taken The Last Thing We Had

3. Navy - By October, it was pretty obvious that what we were watching was real and wasn't going to go away anytime soon. But we all still just *knew" that no matter what, the 43 game streak was safe. We might be awful, but losing to Navy just won't ever happen. It's not on the table. At the end of the day, we'll still hang our tattered hat on that. Thanks, Chuck.

GROUP C: Gang-Bang In Progress; Apply Within

4. Penn State - The game that made sure we all knew that GT wasn't some strange sick joke of a fluke, like a fake email we got from God where he didn't actually mean to hit 'Send.' Zero rushing yards. 14 penalties. No offensive TDs again. Plus, it actually stung more because for a minute it looked like it was going to be a game. We had the INT return to go up 7-0. We were only down 14-7 at the half.

5. USC - An all-time laugher of a home game. This game sucked so bad, I actually always confuse it with the 2008 game, which was even worse. I just assume that they are one long crimson and gold fisting in which our offense doesn't score (or really cross midfield too much) and USC completely manhandles and violates us in any way they please. Just terrible.

GROUP D: Its Own Brand of Shame

6. Boston College - Given the quality of the two teams that year, the result actually wasn't too awful (I agree that the '08 version was worse). But what makes this stand out, like a misspelled neck tattoo or a festering chemical burn, is that there was actually talk that WE were a TRAP GAME for BOSTON COLLEGE. Just let that sink in. WE were the "dangerous" lowly opponent cliche that BC had to get by before their big showdown with V-Tech the next week. Few things are more humiliating than that previous sentence.

7. Air Force - Narrowly losing our record winning streak to Navy was all kinds of awful, but at least it was just a two point OT loss in ugly conditions. Getting WORKED by another service academy the following week was possibly even more inexcusable. First Navy beats us. Then Air Force kicks the shit out of us. At this point though...did it matter anymore?

GROUP E: Was that a...touchdown?

8. Purdue - I actually don't remember much about this game. But it gets ranked above Michigan State just on principle. And because...

9. Michigan State - ...even though we got worked, we scored our first (TWO!!!) offensive touchdowns of the year and somehow that still remains a fond memory for me. I can still strangely remember that one drive where Aldridge and Hughes took turns busting out big runs until we scored.

GROUP F: Well Whoop-Dee-Fucking-Doo

10. Stanford - Hooray! The season's over. Now, when they don't fire Weis, we'll get to read a bunch of holier-than-though Willingham articles. That should be fun.

11. Duke - A 21 pt win on Senior Day. As far as hollow wins go, at least this one had that.

GROUP G: Catharsis

12. UCLA - The glorious moment all Notre Dame fans live for: The moment we realize we aren't going to have a winless season.

Good effort *
by TJK1998  (2014-04-22 16:43:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks. It was strangely enjoyable
by potatohouse  (2014-04-23 09:55:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and a bit therapeutic. I had blocked out a lot of that season and needed to look at the schedule to refresh.

That's an interesting list.
by doolinbanjos  (2014-04-22 14:31:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think I agree on the Holtz-era choice, but in my opinion it isn't even a contender.

Now, Ty gives us plenty to choose from. FSU 2003 was among the worst, and certainly the worst game I saw in person. We didn't get our second first down until midway through the third quarter. It ended 37-0. I have never seen an ND team more soundly dominated.

Similarly, 2007 gives us a lot to choose from. I think Air Force's relative success in the 80s against ND probably made this loss blend in with all the others in 2007. USC, Michigan and Georgia Tech were worse losses simply because they were just one-sided blowouts.

I don't even think BC in 2008 makes the list. It was a frustrating loss, but we actually outgained BC. It was just a matter of the turnovers. We weren't dominated or thrown around like pussies. We just made a lot of mistakes. To me, that's a bad loss, but not one of the worst in my opinion. Perhaps it is just a different kind of "worst". The worst to me are when ND just cannot be competitive.

I also disagree with the 2010 Navy game. Not quite as much. That one was pretty bad, but there are a half dozen Faust/Weis/Willingham games that beat this one, in my opinion. Navy was 9-4 (including a bowl loss) that year.

I don't know they rise to "worst ever" level
by 2ndstreeter  (2014-04-22 13:26:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But two losses to Missouri always bugged me. The one under Devine after the 1977 NC season was a 3-0 loss to open the 1978 season with Montana still at Qb and a decent supporting cast. Missouri was good that year, but to be shut out at home in the opener was inexcusable.
The other one was a 30-26 loss at home under Ara. Missouri was a .500 team that year and had been annihilated by Nebraska the week before and the game, I think, was played in a snowstorm.

don't get me started on those two Missouri losses
by olson  (2014-04-22 14:12:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

undefeated and 8th ranked ND vs Missouri at ND

Missouri won 30-26

junior year/my birthday/my parents came up for the game/it rained/ND lost/a childhood friend (Scott Pickens) started at MLB for Mo. that day/only the 2nd and last time ND lost a home game during my 4 undergrad years/Missouri had lost to Nebraska the week before 62-0!

ND later played Nebraska in the Orange Bowl
the only common opponent was Missouri(NEB beat them 62-0 and ND lost 26-30)
Final Neb 40 ND 6
In that Orange Bowl matchup-another of my childhood friend-Frosty Anderson (his dad was the Head BB coach at Bradley) caught a 52 yd td pass from Johnny Rodgers on a halfback option....figures

ND defending National Champs
Joe Montana returning at QB for the Irish

Opening game at ND-It was 94 degrees

1st half
the only team that came close to scoring was ND, who drove to the 18 where QB Montana fumbled a snap and Mo recovered

0-0 at half

2nd half
ND drove to the 11 early in the 3rQ. On 4th & 1 Montana tried a sneak and was stuffed. Mo ball

ND recovered a Mo fumble in ND territory and moved inside the 10. On 3rd and inches Montana was stuffed again. Instead of going for a FG the Irish went for it and Vagas Ferguson was tackled for a 3 yd loss

ND stops Mo yet again and starts a drive. Joe Montana hits Kris Haines with a 34 yd pass to the Mo 4 yd line. Haines catches the ball just before going out of bounds. Haines turns and slaps the Mo defender(wasn't just a 'tap' as some claim)up side the helmet. Haines receives a 15 yd penalty.

It is now 1st and goal from the 19.
ND gains 4 yds on 3 plays and decides(this time) to kick a FG. Unis to attempt, but holder Restic fumbles the snap and has to attempt a pass-incomplete.

Still 0-0 at the end of the 3rd Q

Mo finally puts a drive together(Irish defense was great all day) and with 12:50 left the Tigers kick a FG for a 3-0 lead....up until this point it felt like it was just a matter of time until ND scored and ended this game...the crowd is stunned

ND drives to the Mo 28. Again ND goes for it on 4th & 1 and Ferguson is stopped to no gain

The Irish stop Mo, get the ball back and drive(yet again) to the Mo 25....where Ferguson fumbles...Mo ball 3:30 left

ND forces another Mo punt. 1:15 left

Mo punts to Randy Harrison-who fumbles...Mo recovers

Missouri runs out the clock

FINAL Missouri 3 Notre Dame 0

Wow. That '78 game sounded like an unmitigated disaster. *
by PeteatND  (2014-04-22 17:09:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only good thing about that day was the Springsteen
by OldIrishFan  (2014-04-23 10:00:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Concert that night

the 72 game was a disaster too
by olson  (2014-04-22 18:07:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just didn't give the details

ND was without star frosh DT Steve Niehaus who had hurt his knee in a mid week practice and was lost for the season

the score was tied 14-14...Missouri able to run up the middle with no Niehaus around to stop them and the teams traded tds

Next Missouri drove down the field-helped by a 4th down off side penalty vs ND
A Tigers back dove into the endzone(without the ball). He left the football at the 3-where Nd recovered...but the officials didn't see the fumble-just that the ball carrier crossed the goal line and signaled td...a phantom td play would be eerily repeated a number of years later vs USC in '82

Starting the second half ND's Schlezes fumbled a punt and Mo converted for a FG/ then Diminick fumbled the kickoff and Mo recovered and kicked yet another FG Mo 27 ND 14.....and ND had yet to run an offensive play in the half!!!

Missouri added another FG early in the 4th Q to lead 30-14. ND started their comeback(finally). ND QB Clements scored on a 13 yd run(30-20);Clements hit SE Jim Roolf with a 36 yd pass on 4th down-leading to a Andy Huff td run (30-26 with the 2 pt conversion failed).......ND stopped the Tigers and got the ball back....Clements lofted a long sideline pass to what looked like a wide open Daryl Dewan, but as Dewan seemed to get ready to make the catch in stride, a Missouri safety came from across the field and make a great int to save the victory

Ara said afterwards that if Dewan had caught that pass he'd still be running...he had a clear field ahead of him.....later the ND Yearbook had a picture of the Mo player diving into the endzone without the ball...the caption read "Missouri magic-td without the ball"

Remember that Mizzou game well in '72.
by Camarillo Brillo  (2014-04-23 18:50:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was at that game,too. Our family also knew Scott Picken's family (the guy from Peoria who started at LB for Mizzou). My dad wrote his dad after the game complimenting him on how well his son played.

I still can't believe ND lost that game. By the way Olsen, do you know what high school Scott Pickens played for.

Pickens played HS football at Peoria Central
by olson  (2014-04-23 20:30:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the last great LB from Peoria Central before Pickens was Bob Jockisch

Jockisch started a number of games at DT for Notre Dame in '67 & '68 next to Mike McCoy....last I heard, Jockisch still lived in Peoria

Jockisch is the only Central(Peoria High) player to ever play at ND

I sure remember Bob Jockish, too
by Camarillo Brillo  (2014-04-24 17:30:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Solid football player. I'm a Bergan High School alum class of '78.

Marty Best was the only Bergan player
by olson  (2014-04-24 17:56:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Marty walked on as a frosh at HB-after his HS career at QB(one of Marty's roommates at ND was Daryl Dewan's -their other roommate was another Bergan grad)

Best concentrated on golf after his frosh year.

Olson did you play for Spalding the year that Bergan beat
by Camarillo Brillo  (2014-04-25 10:41:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Them for the first time ever? I think Marty Best was the guy who scored the first ever TD against Spalding. Another family we knew well. Marty's dad was our family doctor for years.

The 1974 Purdue game was pretty bad *
by OldIrishFan  (2014-04-22 21:37:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To be certain, that '72 squad just wasn't that good.
by BoogAlou  (2014-04-22 21:27:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had a good record but I can remember the student body chanting "we're number 5" after one win, then "we're number 8" after another -- no offense. The Missouri game day was miserable -- a cold misty rain, ice on the stadium cement so your feet were on ice all game, we kept fumbling kicks, and it followed the LSAT exam, making the entire day lousy.

About that '72 squad ....
by gadomer  (2014-04-22 23:33:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the captain of that team, Greg Marx, is in very poor health. He slipped and fell at his home and broke his neck.
He is a good man who could use the power of prayer.

Greg's been active in the ND Club of Detroit for years.
by PeteatND  (2014-04-25 16:50:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's definitely a character (in a good way). All of us here locally are keeping him in our thoughts.

I am very sorry to hear about Greg
by olson  (2014-04-23 10:04:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thank you for letting us know

A quick Greg Marx story
by olson  (2014-04-23 10:23:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Greg was a 5th year senior in '72-star DT(made 1st team All American)

For the first few games of the season, Greg and Frosh Steve Niehaus made a imposing DT combination.

But as mentioned above, Niehaus was hurt prior to the Missouri game and this allowed the Tigers to double team Marx all game and somewhat neutralize him.

After the stunning Irish loss, the best RB on the next opponent (Mike Luttrell of TCU) was quoted in the paper as saying how he wasn't impressed with the ND defense.

That week before the TCU game,I remember seeing Greg around campus- Marx was wearing a relatively small 'stickum' on his jacket around campus that simply said "BEAT TCU"

In the game, Luttrell gained 26 yds on 13 carries and ND shut out TCU 21-0....TCU gained 132 yds for the game....Luttrell had no comments after the contest

I would rather be
by gadomer  (2014-04-23 10:58:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on Greg's good side. He still has an imposing game face.

One of the really neat things I have learned from Greg's ordeal is that the Monogram Club has also agreed to provide assistance to Greg through the Catastrophic Relief Fund. I understand the amount is limited but every bit helps.

From an e-mail from Mike Keating:

However, Greg’s needs continue to grow and assistance from his friends and teammates will hopefully accelerate his return to health. Direct contributions for Greg’s benefit would be most appreciated. Greg can be reached at and direct contributions can be sent to: 18629 Jamestown, Northville, MI 48168. Greg’s email address is gregmarx@wowway.com. We are sure he would appreciate your words of encouragement and support.

Thanks for all the details on those two games
by 2ndstreeter  (2014-04-22 20:25:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The memory fades over the years. For some reason I thought it snowed for the 72 game, but I knew weather was involved. However, we got the worst of that I suppose.

I still can't believe we we're shut out in 78, the only team Mizzou blanked that year(I looked it up).

1985 (58-7) Miami made me the maddest
by Nihilist In Golf Pants  (2014-04-22 13:14:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fortunately, the freshmen on that team got revenge as seniors.

Concur.....still have the image of Allen Pinkett on the
by Harv79Pangborn  (2014-04-22 13:47:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sideline near the end of the game with his arm around the shoulder of coach Gerry Faust. Sad, sad, loss...

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.