I agree with everything he said
by faustfever (2014-02-23 21:15:42)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Who has been sending notes from NDNation  posted by SteakNFootball

Notre Dame campus has already become an overbuilt Disney/Frankenstein.

In my opinion, this stadium expansion will do little more than add a few more bolts to the neck.

Do you agree with this?
by SEE  (2014-02-23 21:23:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"What the Project instead reveals is the subjection of the academic mission of the university to the needs of the all-powerful axis of athletics and development."

I would have said it differently, but I think what he's
by VaDblDmr  (2014-02-24 07:14:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

getting at there is the odious idea that academic stuff was thrown in to get buy-in (from what I would call the anti-football crowd) on the stadium work, with the stadium project being the ultimate aim. And I agree with that being a troubling notion. Everything should stand on its own merits, and be done separately, literally and figuratively.
This project of symptomatic of ND's total inability to be forthright on damn near anything anymore.

There's no pressing stadium need. Is there? * *
by SEE  (2014-02-24 13:51:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think this is almost certainly backwards.
by undfan211  (2014-02-24 08:03:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Fr. Jenkins realizes that finding a donor for a multimillion dollar upgrade to the department of sacred music is incredibly difficult. But he knows an upgrade is needed (for that and several other departments).

So the university connects the project to the stadium to get donors. While few people might be willing to donate millions to get their names on the door of the department of sacred music, the university can probably find many more willing to put their names on the entrance to Notre Dame Stadium.

This is certainly an unusual athletic-acadenic combination project. But the vast majority of the money and construction is going to the academic side. Football changes were desired, surely. But they were used as a facade -- or perhaps simply as a convenient vehicle -- to promote the central portions (the "ultimate goals") of the project, which are non-athletic.

It's not academia that's being leveraged; it's football.

And that's a good thing.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.