As long as we're aligning in fantasyland...
by HowardRoark (2014-12-09 16:13:36)
Edited on 2014-12-10 16:51:33
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Obviously we are making assumption on top of assumption...  posted by IrishFanIndy2003

All this assumes that conference affiliation is inevitable. It is in no way my preference (real independence is my preference).

That said, try these potential alignments:

1. Pac-8:
UW
WSU
UO
OSU
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
Southern Cal

2. Mountain West:
Utah
BYU
CU
CSU
ASU
U of A
Nevada
UNLV

3. Big Eight (reconstituted):
Iowa
Iowa State
Nebraska (welcome home)
OU
OK State
Kansas
Kansas State
Minnesota

4. Texas Conference:
UT
Texas A&M (Welcome back, boys)
TCU
Baylor
Texas Tech
Rice
Houston
SMU

5. Big Ten (still can't count, so they won't change their name):
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue

6. Western Athletic Conference:
Boise State
Air Force
UNM
NMSU
Fresno State
San Jose State
San Diego State
Wyoming

7. Big East (reconstituted):
Army
Penn State
Rutgers
Syracuse
Boston College
Miami (OH)
Navy
Connecticut

8. Notre Dame Conference* (name TBD):
Notre Dame
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech
Missouri
HoustonMaryland
Arkansas
Florida State
Pitt

9. Southeastern Conference
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

10. Mid-American Conference
Bowling Green
Kent State
Akron
Toledo
Ball State
OhioNorthern Illinois
Western Michigan
Central Michigan

11. Atlantic Coast Conference
Clemson
NC State
UNC
Duke
Wake Forest
South Carolina
Miami
East Carolina

12. Piedmont Conference
West Virginia
Kentucky
Marshall
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Cincinnati
MarylandOhio U

The SEC is still a little heavy, but it's the core of the conference, so oh well. The WAC is relying on Boise State as its headliner, and the MAC doesn't have one, but these conferences seem to make sense to me, and at least for us give us the following:

some geographic reach
some good in-conference competition
another elite name in conference
some cultural affinity (i.e., some that take school seriously)
a long-standing schedule partner
only 1 or 2 potential conference body bag games

A few thoughts
by tf86  (2014-12-09 22:46:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Obviously you took a lot of time to do this. Just a few thoughts:

1. Your Texas conference is the old SWC, at least after Arkansas left.

2. You have Houston listed twice, once in the SWC and once in our conference. I think they're a better fit in the SWC.

3. Not sure about Miami (Ohio) in the Big East conference. Buffalo makes more sense geographically. And their program is at least as good right now as Miami's, even though they lack the history.

4. Omitting Northern Illinois while keeping the MAC programs you kept is a mistake imho.

5. I would swap Missouri and Minnesota.

But you're right, this just isn't gonna happen no matter what. The power conferences have too much power to disband or voluntarily drop programs. Our best bet would be to form a new conference.

Ok
by howardroark  (2014-12-10 01:54:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Scratch Houston from No. 8, move Maryland from the Piedmont Conference to ours, drop Ohio U from the MAC to the Piedmont Conference, and add NIU back to the MAC.

I could certainly live with swapping Missouri and Minnesota. That would come close to reconstituting the old Big Eight and Minnesota would probably be a better fit for us.

Buffalo would be relegated to FCS and rightly so. Miami (OH) got a promotion to the BIG EAST because their history required keeping them, but hardc choices had to be made in cutting all of the traditionally 10-team conferences (Big Ten, SEC, and MAC in particular) down to 8 teams.

If conference affiliation were an absolute requirement to compete for championships then I could tolerate something like this. It would have the added benefit of diluting the talent pool across more conferences while simultaneously protecting the talent pool for top level football as a whole, and diluting ESPN's influence in the sport. I assume that many power conferences would mean that CBS, Fox, and NBC would each be willing to pay to play.

Upon further review, here's how I would do it
by tf86  (2014-12-10 11:54:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Swap Missouri for Minnesota, as stated previously.

2. I would put NIU in the MAC and remove one of the bottom feeders you left in, say Kent State.

3. I would swap Cincinnati for Miami (Ohio). Geographically, that's a wash, and Cincinnati at least has some history with the Big East.

4. For the final member of our conference, in lieu of Houston (already included), I would include UCF. Imho, that program has the greatest upside of any of those you left out. Plus, it means a guaranteed road trip to Florida every year.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.