What do you mean by "sign?"
by NavyJoe (2014-01-27 11:24:48)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Different situation, but couldn't you apply the same logic  posted by IrishFanIndy2003

Do you mean allow them to commit but then potentially not accept their letter on signing day or do you mean allow them to commit to the university but then possibly "cut" them in a subsequent year?

I don't approve of either approach and I'm not even sure if the latter is possible at ND since we may offer four-year scholarships.

Of course other schools do the former all the time (see USC this year).

Both...
by IrishFanIndy2003  (2014-01-27 13:25:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both in terms of incoming freshman or later years "cutting" of players. Other schools utilize both in differing degrees and it puts Notre Dame at a competitive disadvantage. Using those methods though ensures a fuller roster and some of those lower end rated guys may blossom (or the higher ranked guys may bust).

I am just saying there are lots of areas where the same (or similar) logic could be used, but we choose the "right" way to handle freshmen. Why would we choose a different way to handle potential fifth year players - at that point those young men have given so much already to the team/university.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.