Obviously we are making assumption on top of assumption...
by IrishFanIndy2003 (2014-12-09 15:01:46)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: I think 96 is a good size for top-level football.  posted by HowardRoark

I can't see them dropping to 8 per conference... too many schools would be squeezed out.... 10 would be more natural... Teams back in w/ 10 per

B10: Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue & IU
Out: Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Nebraska, Iowa, and Northwestern

B12: Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Kansas
Out: West Virginia and Iowa State (or TCU if they push out the "new guy")

Pac: Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Stanford, UCLA, Cal, USC
Out: Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado

SEC: Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Miss St, Alabama, Auburn, LSU
Out: Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Tennessee

ACC:Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, NC State, Wake, Duke, GT, Virgina
Out: Louisville, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, VT

And now if Notre Dame in this fantasy world can pick the next 7-9 schools to join it...

ND: Notre Dame, Nebraska, Iowa, Vandy, Louisville, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Kentucky, and say Maryland?

I think this would be just as bad....

I think to really make it work (for ND) you would have to blow up and rape the other "conferences" to steal USC/UCLA/Cal/Stanford (presumably a group) away from Oregon/Oregon State/Washington/Washington State (and Arizona/Arizona State)... and then maybe Texas/Oklahoma/Oklahoma State away from the rest of the Big12 to give you...

Notre Dame + USC/UCLA/Cal/Stanford + Texas/Oklahoma/Oklahoma State

And that leaves them with:

B12: Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Kansas, West Virginia and Iowa State and ________________ (maybe pulling back in Nebraska or TA&M)

Pac: Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado

=======

An alternate idea would basically be to create a lottery system... and just randomly assign 8-10 teams to a conference, and then re-assign them every other year (to allow for home and homes)... and allow each team to have 3-5 other games that it can separately negotiate (i.e. Notre Dame would be able to keep Stanford, USC, Navy + ____ and _____)

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.