Luther Bradley holds the pro record for most INTs in a game.
by G.K.Chesterton (2024-04-02 23:07:33)
Edited on 2024-04-02 23:08:48

I first heard about that on here a few years ago.
by Moff  (2024-04-03 12:21:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I asked him about it at an event two years ago and he gave credit to preparation and also to Coach George Allen's dedication to same.

Several years earlier, under Charlie, I saw him looking around the soon to be opened Gug. I asked him how he and his teammates ever won a National Championship without all this "stuff." He smiled and his answer was short and sweet: "We won two."

I have a framed picture with him and Ross Browner on the field before the 2006 Penn State game. I told Ross that he and his teammates were the reason I became an ND fan. He really appreciated it and called Luther over for a picture together. Two great guys and legendary players.

You are loaded with awesome stories like this! Wow! *
by drmurray  (2024-04-03 12:27:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Moff and Olson are awesome! *
by arasera  (2024-04-03 15:36:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Olson is in a class by himself. *
by Moff  (2024-04-03 17:15:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks. Just found a couple photos from that Penn State game
by Moff  (2024-04-03 13:29:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in 2006, including the one I mentioned with Ross and Luther. What a loss Ross' passing was.

The other photo is the one I took after I got the heads up from that future 4* General (then a "lowly" Lt. Col). He whispered, "Moff ... check 3 O'Clock." I looked over my shoulder to the right and saw who was talking to Luther and Tim Brown. I then took the "no look" photo, as I knew Joe appreciates his privacy. I then looked at the photo to see if I had even gotten them in the frame and saw that they were on to me and had smiled for the photo. I then looked over at them and Joe already had his hand extended to shake my hand. It's nice when your childhood heroes turn out to be even better people than you imagined. First time I had shaken his hand since August 1978 in the third floor lobby of Fisher. I was 12 and my mom saw him and asked him to come over and say hello to me and he was great about it then too. What a joy to watch him then become, imho, the greatest QB ever.

Luther
by gond79  (2024-04-06 23:20:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I lived in the same section as Kevin Hart, Rusty Lisch & Dennis Grindinger in '77-78 and used to lift with them from time to time. There was one weight room in the ACC with Nautilus machines and it was open to everyone. Once I followed Luther on the bench press and it was humbling how far up I had to move the pin.

Those are phenomenal pictures *
by sprack  (2024-04-04 14:14:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OMG - Three of my all time favs plus Moff! Those are
by drmurray  (2024-04-03 16:00:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

keepers!

Even more rare, you guys are all in short sleeves!

Well done!

LB was my 1st favorite ND player *
by discNDav  (2024-04-03 12:10:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Decapitating Lynn Swann was a harbinger of a great career
by NJDoubleDomer  (2024-04-03 08:47:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

May be the best defensive play I ever witnessed.

His 99 yard pick six vs Purdue (75?) wasn’t bad either. *
by Tpm81  (2024-04-03 12:28:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Said return.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-04-03 13:34:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a beautiful play *
by sprack  (2024-04-03 13:53:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have the exact same memory, but in a different (better)
by drmurray  (2024-04-03 16:02:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dorm. Zahm of course.

OMG- Am I actually as old as Sprack?

Anyway- thanks for the great memory. That was one of the early highlights of my ND football memory. Luther was the best!

I was next door in St. Ed’s at the time
by sprack  (2024-04-04 09:51:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, you’re as old as me. Maybe older!

Sprack is older as he and Knute worked together at
by Moff  (2024-04-03 17:16:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Chicago Post Office before enrolling.

When Yost cancelled the 1910 game sprack said GFY to him. *
by arasera  (2024-04-04 17:45:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember now...
by drmurray  (2024-04-04 08:26:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sprack was 390 years old when he enrolled.

But, Davie
by Slotts  (2024-04-04 11:48:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was still a bastard and Michigan still sucked.

Yes, '75. My freshman year, second game of the season
by sprack  (2024-04-03 13:14:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ingrained in my memory forever was watching that play on my roommate's extremely grainy black and white TV and the cheers throughout the entire dorm.

It was the fourth quarter and we were only leading 3-0 and Purdue would have taken the lead. Things looked very dire until Luther picked off that pass and ran it back.

That week was immortalized by a cover story on SI. A Devine
by OldIrishFan  (2024-04-12 21:59:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Week at Notre Dame and featured Rick Slager on the cover. My original copy still hangs on my paneled wall in my bedroom in New Jersey. I got a replacement issue which is framed and hangs on my rec room in our basement.

That was ND's second game in 5 days
by Camarillo Brillo  (2024-04-03 20:40:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was listening to the game in my bedroom, and either ND turned the ball over or allowed a big Purdue play. In a fit of rage I jumped in the air flailing my arms over my head. My left hand crashed into the light fixture and it shattered, spraying broken glass all over the bedroom floor and opening a nasty gash on the knuckle over my left pinkie finger. I still have the scar.

I remember that, and I was about as angry
by sprack  (2024-04-04 15:52:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fortunately my roommates - who I had met only a couple weeks earlier - were there and I restrained myself from kicking something. One of them was an international student watching only his second American football game. The other was also from Chicago and almost kicked something too.

I think he and I hugged each other for the first time - and maybe only time - when Luther ran it back.

I remember listening on crackly AM radio
by tpm81  (2024-04-03 17:57:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with much trepidation that the Irish could somehow lose to the Spoilermakers (as they did in 1974). The radio signal wasn't great, and occasionally my Dad had to run outside to use the car radio for an update.

Criqui may have been the radio announcer back in 1975. I distinctly remember him from the Navy '74 game, as he made the Navy punts sound more dramatic than Tom Demsey's 63-yard field goal (which he called in 1970)

Don Criqui and Al Wester were the 1975 radio guys. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-04-03 19:08:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks....ahh those early Joe Montana comebacks.
by tpm81  (2024-04-03 20:07:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"where has Joe Montana been?" and "as legend after legend has been born at quarterback, one has here today!'

And yet without Fred Arrington, Montana may never have
by OldIrishFan  (2024-04-12 22:12:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Become the greatest of all time and the Irish would have started the 1977 season 1-2.

Yes. Way to set the tone! *
by drmurray  (2024-04-03 10:14:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of my favorite players- in my opinion the best DB in ND
by drmurray  (2024-04-03 07:01:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

History

On a team with the best D-lineman in ND history.
by SorinBasement  (2024-04-09 19:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Guys like Page, Fanning, Niehaus and others were amazing, but Ross was the best.

Bob Golic was as great a linebacker as we’ve ever had. And, oh yeah, we had a quarterback named Montana.