yes; note the player leaving his feet *
by jt (2024-03-27 12:24:39)

In reply to: Is that how the Rams beat the Titans in the Super Bowl? (link)  posted by DakotaDomer

This user did not provide content for this post

Far be it from me to keep disagreeing with you, but…
by PeteatND  (2024-03-27 17:03:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That doesn’t qualify at all. The player had already left his feet to initiate the tackle. Pretty garden variety “diving tackle”.

They’re trying to eliminate plays where the defender grabs hold, then leaves his feet to drag the player to the ground. I see a massive difference between the two.

Again, I just don’t see this is as particularly tough to identify.

his feet are on the ground as he starts to reach
by jt  (2024-03-27 17:23:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

then he "goes weightless" (per the wording of the rule) and lands on the back of the players legs (and then rolls off).

You trust these refs to get this correct, on a bang-bang play like that? When they can't even call blatant holding penalties? When they can't even properly spot the ball?

I most certainly do not. Now, do I think that right now they would throw the flag for it? No, I think that they'll let the league enforce via fines. But then, what's the purpose for having rules to begin with? I suppose we could ask that about damn near any penalty now, to be fair.

To me the new NFL rule on tackling is that it's prohibited. *
by Anotherjoe  (2024-04-03 12:02:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if they're going to outlaw these types of tackles
by jt  (2024-04-03 14:12:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which have been taught as a way to "take the head out of the game" (Hawk tackling by Pete Carrol basically teaches the player to go to the side and use their momentum to the ground to take the player down), I pretty much agree with you.

Now, you pretty much can't touch the qb at all (and in the case of a guy like Mahomes, you can't breathe on him and his OL is allowed to hold every play), you can't hit wr's high over the middle, you can't tackle from the side while leaving your feet (causing more head on collisions), etc.

They create these rules to placate the people who hate football and think it's too dangerous and to cover their ass for potential lawsuits.