Will California's travel ban affect college sports?
by GolfJunkie17 (2017-06-29 09:45:49)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I haven't read much on the new travel ban enacted by California on state employees to states that have enacted laws that they feel are anti-LGBTQ. How will this affect state school's athletic teams if they already have games scheduled in these state; and even further, coaches recruiting travel to those states?

I apologize if this belongs in the political board. My intention is not to discuss the morality of this new law, only it's impact on athletics.

My understanding
by SixShutouts66  (2017-06-29 11:04:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The article that I read implied that the ban wouldn't affect contracts already signed, since California teams would have to forfeit those games and pay appropriate penalties. That impact would be down the road. However, bowl games and presumably NCAA playoff games could be affected.

I was also curious about NCAA Hoops Tourney games
by GolfJunkie17  (2017-06-29 11:58:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and, will California state schools no longer be able to recruit the states of Alabama, Kentucky, South Dakota, Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kansas, and North Carolina? Or, only by phone? Just a quick scan of UCLA's roster, I counted around 10 kids from the states in question, mostly from Texas.

I would think bowl games more than NCAA championship events.
by hoomanbeing  (2017-07-01 16:45:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The schools have more control over which bowl game they play in compared to NCAA championship playoffs. Right off the top, UCLA and Cal wouldn't be able to play in the Sun Bowl vs. ACC teams since the game is in El Paso, TX.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.