I agree, but Saban turned down $100MM at UT
by Irish2003 (2017-06-14 04:59:49)
[ Delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: I've resigned myself to the fact  posted by LeLuni

Austin is a better city than Tuscaloosa by any objective metric (the Sabans are both from West Virginia and he started off playing and coaching in the Midwest, so no Bear Bryant "mama's calling" situation here), UT is in the same ballpark as Alabama for football and a lot more prestigious for everything else, and it's a helluva lot easier to win in that mutt conference than the SEC, but Saban chose to stay. UT apparently may have some perhaps "aggressive" boosters who try to meddle whereas Saban can focus solely on winning games at Alabama, but $100MM is dynastic wealth and would have also likely made him the only guy to ever win at 3 schools, yet wasn't good enough to leave his Death Star at Alabama. Given our national scope, $12B endowment, and the instant fame for the guy who does turn it around, I'd have to think ND could be an attractive job for the right guy, but unfortunately agree that we're more likely to hire a Butch Jones or someone like that.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.