He defended letting him back on the team, He admits
by Odschool (2017-06-13 10:26:28)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Do you have a citation for Stoops defending Mixon?  posted by tdiddy07

the ultimate decision to only suspend Mixon was a mistake. This realization came, by Stoops'own admission, as a result of public opinion. The admission came 2 1/2 years after the initial assault.

Stoops acknowledged why critics have suggested that Mixon got a second chance at Oklahoma only because he was the top-rated recruit in the Sooners' 2014 recruiting class. Mixon has since gone on to become one of the top players on the team. He finished the 2016 regular season ranked second in the country in all-purpose yards and was a first-team All-Big 12 selection.

"I understand where people come with that," Stoops said. "But let's remember that he had not played a down here when this all occurred. We've had plenty of four- and five-star guys not amount to a whole lot here through the years. In the end, I understand where people come with that, but I believe in these young men we recruit, maybe to a fault to some degree. I believe most coaches do. But again, here we are 2½ years later and you can't really do that anymore."

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.