Stoops to "retire"; that's interesting. *
by Hometown fan (2017-06-07 15:27:57)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

How about NBC hiring Stoops to do ND TV games?
by IrishEd  (2017-06-08 15:28:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wouldn't that be great? Talk about making Mt. Purple Face Eruptus really feel the heat.

Hire Stoops as AD - get 2 birds with one stone
by Erskine68  (2017-06-08 20:30:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... then Stoops can pull a Popovich move at his leisure and name himself as coach.

Hire the man who defended Mixon? No way *
by Odschool  (2017-06-09 15:17:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do you have a citation for Stoops defending Mixon?
by tdiddy07  (2017-06-09 15:44:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Suspending a guy for a year certainly wouldn't qualify, even if one thinks the punishment was insufficient.

Putting him back on the active roster would be
by Odschool  (2017-06-13 11:20:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more accurate indicator of a Stoops' view of the severity of Mixon's behavior. Either way, Stoops' behavior is not the standard we expect of an ND coach.

He defended letting him back on the team, He admits
by Odschool  (2017-06-13 10:26:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the ultimate decision to only suspend Mixon was a mistake. This realization came, by Stoops'own admission, as a result of public opinion. The admission came 2 1/2 years after the initial assault.

Stoops acknowledged why critics have suggested that Mixon got a second chance at Oklahoma only because he was the top-rated recruit in the Sooners' 2014 recruiting class. Mixon has since gone on to become one of the top players on the team. He finished the 2016 regular season ranked second in the country in all-purpose yards and was a first-team All-Big 12 selection.

"I understand where people come with that," Stoops said. "But let's remember that he had not played a down here when this all occurred. We've had plenty of four- and five-star guys not amount to a whole lot here through the years. In the end, I understand where people come with that, but I believe in these young men we recruit, maybe to a fault to some degree. I believe most coaches do. But again, here we are 2½ years later and you can't really do that anymore."

Defending the scope of a punishment is not a defense of
by tdiddy07  (2017-06-13 11:17:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the act being punished. There's nothing inherently villainous about thinking that one who does something very bad should be offered a second chance after he suffers a fairly serious punishment.

It was only a serious punishment by OU standards.
by Odschool  (2017-06-13 12:46:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mixon was given a pass by Stoops. He saw the video and quite frankly didn't do shit. It took 2 1/2 years before he even commented on it.

Agree. Plus, he's a drive-by poster... *
by ndamage  (2017-06-10 18:50:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who the hell are you? *
by Marine Domer  (2017-06-15 12:05:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you for your endorsement... *
by Odschool  (2017-06-19 12:41:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hardly a drive by poster.I have a near 20 year record of
by Odschool  (2017-06-13 10:31:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not being shy about defending my opinions. Nice try.

I like the irony of your drive-by post on my being a drive-by poster.

How about a profile? The absence of a profile is telling.

It would not be the craziest thing to happen...
by kgreen04  (2017-06-08 12:56:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Assume, for the sake of argument at least, that Stoops was contacted in late 2009 to gauge his interest in a job he eventually declined to pursue. Why come now? Because much has changed since then.

Most notably, the Big 12 began to fracture only months after Stoops decided to stay at OU. Not only were some of its most attractive programs poached, it's flagship school in Austin has suffered years of turmoil. A&M's defection means an SEC recruiting foothold in Texas, a state Oklahoma must draw heavily from.

The structure of how championships are determined has also shifted. Even with a title game, Big 12 teams seeking the playoffs will face charges of lackluster schedules. Notre Dame regularly plays USC, Stanford, and one of Clemson, Florida State or Miami. The Sooners' biannual trip to Morgantown has usually counted as one of their marquee matchups.

Bo Pelini, his former assistant and former Big 12 head coaching colleague, is back at Youngstown State, where Bob's brother is an assistant. Bo's son will be in South Bend, starting this fall.

He undoubtedly has great affection for and many friends in the OU program. He's not leaving them in any sort of lurch: they have the coach they want, and that man is obviously one Stoops trusts as well. His legacy is secure.

Notre Dame itself is a much more attractive program. Even despite Kelly's recruiting failings, there is more talent in the program now than when Weis left. There are several new facilities coming online (albeit some of them ugly). The University has upped its financial commitments to assistant coaches.

Bob Stoops' first road game as a head coach was at Notre Dame Stadium. His team came into South Bend undefeated, but blew a 16-point lead to Bob Davie. That hurts. Stoops' next shot Rock's House, and first victory against the Irish, was in 2013. It was also the first Sooners win in the series in decades. Exercising those demons is one thing. Knowing what it's like to win a game at Notre Dame is another.

Maybe. And maybe if we're ready.

I think it would be pretty easy to empirically show
by ugoirish  (2017-06-08 17:36:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that there was more talent in the program when Weis left than now. From 2006-2008 Weis had 3 Top 10 classes including a #2 class that was revised to #1 on both major services when Alabama's 'greyshirts' were determined. And the 2009 class that was not Top 10 included Te'o, Martin, Watt, Eifert, Riddick and Wood.

I generally agree with your post but very much disagree on that point.

I agree with you
by irishrock  (2017-06-08 18:48:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

where/who is our talent today?

Weis left the cupboard VERY full for Kelly. Kelly to "next man up"...not so sure about that.

ND is a broken program right now. Kelly and JS broke it.

It will be very interesting to see how Lincoln Riley, who
by JACC1203  (2017-06-07 17:10:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has always been an assistant, will do as a HC on such a big platform.

We all saw how well it went for ND (twice over the past 20 years).

It worked for Stoops *
by stetsondan  (2017-06-08 10:01:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well...
by scootercfa  (2017-06-12 11:42:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bob Stoops was older (like 39) and had spent the last 6-7 seasons as a DC, including a very successful stop at Florida. Not sure it's an equal comparison...

and Switzer *
by Tex Francisco  (2017-06-08 13:11:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

33 years old too
by JBrock18  (2017-06-08 09:29:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe that is the youngest HC in the country

Brian Kelly's '8-4 is good enough' just went to 10-2 *
by Erskine68  (2017-06-07 16:31:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

16 years later and he still ain't coming *
by Wishbone25  (2017-06-08 20:25:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's kind of what I was thinking
by bluengold07  (2017-06-08 09:30:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought 8-4 and he would be safe. Now I don't think that.

From FoxSports (link)
by cujays96  (2017-06-07 15:49:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I find the timing of this incredibly odd *
by BeachTrojan  (2017-06-07 16:02:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes me wonder if there's more news to follow soon. *
by ocmj  (2017-06-07 23:25:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great news for the Longhorns *
by mikeybates  (2017-06-07 15:44:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe he can take a year off and then replace Kelly *
by 1978Irish  (2017-06-07 15:43:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about a month off? *
by coachslacker  (2017-06-07 15:55:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm free this weekend if BK needs help moving. *
by thersh  (2017-06-08 08:36:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I laughed. *
by cujays96  (2017-06-07 16:01:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.