Bertrand Berry: "I'm ashamed to be assoc. w/ ND
by ShillelaghHugger (2017-04-05 10:36:29)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

right now because ND is associated with Brian Kelly."

"And he just cost Kizer millions."

He went on quite a tear this week on his Arizona radio show.

The only solace here is that every time Kelly
by SorinBasement  (2017-04-06 09:20:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

opens his mouth he's costing himself millions.

There was a time when those of us on this board seemed to be the only ones who realized what a putz Kelly is. He's since made his idiocy apparent to all, and that includes prospective employers in the NFL and at any worthwhile college program. If only our AD, president and BOT could figure that out...

With regard to your last sentence, they're of like mind.
by SWPaDem  (2017-04-06 12:58:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clueless.

Nothing Kelly says means jack to NFL owners and GMs.
by 1NDGal  (2017-04-05 21:12:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He wishes it did, but it don't.

Kelly didn't cost Kizer millions, but what he said remains inexcusable. *Even if it's true* one simply does not say such things about one's former player. Period.

Kelly is simply envious that Kizer is going to get to do something he will never do: draw an NFL paycheck.

Kelly demeaned Kizer's leadership
by Kayo  (2017-04-07 19:12:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...after one of last year's games, and I have heard that repeated on the air by people discussing the draft. They weren't NFL general managers, but they are connected with NFL general managers. It's more likely that these media people heard about Kelly's comments doing draft homework than that they heard and remember Kelly saying it at the time.

Was that the VTech game? *
by Indy77  (2017-04-10 15:48:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A+. Kelly has zero influence and no crediblity w/ NFL *
by 84david  (2017-04-07 10:50:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No one investing 20-50 million ignores what Kelly said
by btd  (2017-04-06 13:41:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They will now have to investigate what he said if they were seriously considering Kizer. Johnny M and too many others have been a bust based on character flaws for any GM to just dismiss what Kelly said.

Kizer is not Sanchez. Sanchez was considered polished and didn't have a down year entering the draft to fend off. Kizer has a down year and now the coach saying he may have hidden character flaws to contend with. GMs were already worried Kizer was a risk. That worry now just went up a notch and for some GMs the fear of the unknown easily will be enough to take a pass on him and take the next guy in line or hope he falls a round and they get him at half price and half risk.

It is very hard to prove a negative. Kizer can't easily prove Kelly is wrong sans getting a long line of people to go on the record with the opposite story as Kelly. That's not a given he can make that happen. A lot of people he needs to talk on his behalf are still at ND and won't go public because Kelly can still do them harm.

"GMs were already worried Kizer was a risk." Who? *
by cj  (2017-04-06 19:17:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NFL has state-of-the-art QB reviewers. Why in hades
by 1NDGal  (2017-04-06 22:23:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would they bother listening to the genius who called the NC State game last year?

Whatever they see, whatever bothers them, they don't need Brian Kelly's word on any of it.

If they did, maybe one of them would have, you know, hired him. God knows he has been throwing himself at the NFL.

kelly lacks credibility in so many areas. I believe he
by cj  (2017-04-07 10:36:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

floated this Kizer "tale" to display how connected and trusted he is with NFL execs. After all he is just being honest...as opposed to what?

In addition, Kizer saw first hand what kelly is capable of with Zaire. If things go sideways this year, what are the odds that Kizer would be benched in favor of developing ND's future QB?
This is a bad guy. Plain and simple....

Down year huh? (link)
by Jurassic  (2017-04-06 16:22:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When it comes to football ND's administration is full of
by IrishRed  (2017-04-05 18:32:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Milquetoast men.

It's more than just football. Jenkins has been an
by Irish89  (2017-04-05 19:36:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Embarrassment And everything he's touched has exploded.

Much the same as his predecessor. *
by Irish72  (2017-04-05 22:13:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is 100% right
by Hanratty5ND  (2017-04-05 16:17:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

F the BOT
F Jenkins
F Swarbrick
F Kelly

F ND

The place is run buy a bunch of goddamned idiots/losers.
I hope they lose every game as long as all those above are still employed.

Thank you, Mr. Berry. I hope a chorus of this starts
by Moff  (2017-04-05 12:25:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from our former players.

Their silence has been disappointing though I place
by Carlos Huerta  (2017-04-05 13:02:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a good deal of the blame for that on the pathetic media who have not sought out their comments. I have to think there are a number of guys who while they may not be interested in trying to organize a petition or group statement from former players would have no problem giving a reporter a quote about how they feel about ND football under Brian Kelly.

A leopard never changes its spots
by tahoedweller  (2017-04-05 12:15:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To this day, I remember my misgivings when he was the Cincinnati coach and was interviewed leaving the field at halftime of some 58-57 shootout after his kicker missed a fg. Kelly basically crapped all over the kid on national tv, to the effect of "he told me he could make it, and he obviously couldn't" and it's his fault not mine. I believe it was Thanksgiving of 2008 or 2009.

It was the 2009 UC/Pitt game,
by ugoirish  (2017-04-06 13:36:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The last game of the season and the final piece needed for Kelly to have an undefeated regular season. It was also the day Stoops made his third (over a week or so period) and definitive announcement that he was staying at OU.

I've lost count of the number of times he's
by 84david  (2017-04-05 11:48:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

embarrassed us.

Sad to say, this isnt even close to his worst moment.

Good for him! He's right. *
by Atlantic3  (2017-04-05 11:16:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm with him *
by BmoreIrish  (2017-04-05 11:12:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Likewise *
by garbageplate  (2017-04-05 11:16:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How did he cost him millions?
by Wishbone25  (2017-04-05 11:10:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can GMs and ownership not make decisions for themselves? I don't remember Pete Carroll's comments having a negative draft impact on Mark Sanchez

Hopefully, he didn't. That doesn't make what he did okay.
by Mr.Natural  (2017-04-06 17:36:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All Kelly was doing was priming the college sports media to be prepared for one of his excuses for next season's underperformance. It clearly says much more about Kelly than it does about Kizer.

I hope GM's etc can make their own evaluations, can watch the NC State game and realize to what extent that affected his completion percentage, and disregard Kelly's feckless self-serving comments.

But the point is, a better man than Kelly would have supported the kid, no matter the circumstances. There was no good reason for him to say what he said.

No, they can't and don't. They have no method to verify
by BTD  (2017-04-06 13:32:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the maturity and off the field character flaws Kelly hinted at. That indeed can cost Kizer millions because even slipping 10 spots in the draft because some GM suddenly wonders if there is a hidden problem amounts to losing millions.

Ideally Kizer would get teams that don't draft him to go on the record about why after the fact and then he could have grounds to sue Kelly for slander.

GMs learn about character issues they can't uncover via interviews and film and the combine largely by interviewing the head coach of the prospect and then working outward from there. So, Kelly's comments are extremely damaging.

Oh please stop.
by prophetofdoom  (2017-04-06 17:50:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You really think NFL talent evaluators have no way of investigating the character of potential draft picks, particularly first rounders? And probably more ludicrous, you think any GM is going to otherwise refrain from drafting Kizer because of what Kelly says?! Think about it.

agree
by Wishbone25  (2017-04-06 18:57:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Comments in early April might as well have happened in fall. A long ways to go before the draft.

Stafford got picked at #1 and got 41 million gtd. Sanchez
by CJ  (2017-04-06 12:56:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

went at #5 and got 28m gtd.

I don't remember draft day, but moving slots down costs huge $. kelly is simply a stupid douche bag.

Even Pete's praises couldn't have moved Sanchez over Staffor *
by Wishbone25  (2017-04-06 19:06:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was interesting to see him go at 5 despite
by cj  (2017-04-06 22:06:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

carroll's antics. I am hoping that Kizer lands in the first round too....

It is a valid statement.
by MistakenD  (2017-04-05 13:11:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Kizer were to fall from 2nd to 13th (~$14 million) or from 13th to out of the first round (~6 million). The only way it doesn't cost "millions" is if Kizer was already deemed a late 2nd round pick and this drops him to a 4th round pick. For reference, the site jt just linked had all three scenarios projected (#2 49ers, #12 Cardinals, and mid-round pick).

Kizer's first deal will be negotiated against a negative perception given life and perpetuated by his former head coach. Let that sink in. Just waft that statement to your nose.

OT: I still think Kelly wants to be fired, and his Kizer comments are self-serving in that regard.

Some truth to this. In his 65 years as a college coach,
by Moff  (2017-04-05 12:28:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly has never been around an NFL QB so what would he know.

that is a fantastic point...who deemed Kelly an expert
by irishrock  (2017-04-05 12:42:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on anything related to the QB position, the HC position, or frankly anything.

I recall Holtz making a comment at a speech he made to our company back in 2006. Father Hesburgh told him, "Coach, I can give you the title of leader, but real leadership comes from below"

I won't go to another ND game while he's on the sidelines. I just won't.

Same here *
by MOFF  (2017-04-05 13:27:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If it pushes him to the 2nd round
by ShillelaghHugger  (2017-04-05 11:46:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One could argue BK is the best source of info on DK so his opinion matters- a helluva more than most.

So yah, short of him saying "I don't think he's an NFL QB"- it's hard to imagine him selling his players any shorter.

5 stars considering ND will take notice as well.

no, but he did make interviews more difficult
by irishrock  (2017-04-05 11:35:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he surfaced an issue that didn't need to be surfaced

And now forces Kizer to come up with hard evidence it
by btd  (2017-04-06 13:36:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is a false claim by Kelly. Many teams won't even bother trying to do the work to determine if Kelly is right or wrong, they simply will cross Kizer off their list and take the next available guy or see if they can get Kizer in the following round at half price --- so half risk if the report from Kelly is true.

Extremely damaging for the head coach to say there are hidden maturity and off field issues. That's a massive red flag for any first round QB where 10's of millions are at risk. It is the #1 factor in why Jimmy C went 2nd round - and Carolina only risked $2 million instead of a team risking 20 million in the first round.

Truthfully probably not.
by tdiddy07  (2017-04-05 11:23:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think they're balancing thinking that Kelly is right versus thinking that Kelly is also the reason why he's right. I'm sure some teams that'll be the death knell for an early spot. But for most, I wouldn't think it'll have much effect.

But I'm still glad he said it.

God bless him. *
by tdiddy07  (2017-04-05 10:49:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

God bless us all
by SWPaDem  (2017-04-05 11:14:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

including Bertrand Berry.

fuckin-A right
by blarneygreen  (2017-04-06 13:03:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(There are limited moments when 'fuckin-A right' is appropriate, and I hope this is one of them).

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.