Tony Romo reportedly will replace Phil Simms on CBS
by ShermanOaksND (2017-04-04 12:08:00)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I didn't know Romo had officially retired from playing. But apparently he has, and according to this report, he will be paired with Jim Nantz on CBS's top broadcasting team on NFL games.

The last time I remember someone going directly from an NFL sideline to a top broadcasting team, without prior broadcasting experience, was Bill Walsh from the 49ers to NBC in 1989. Countless others, such as Troy Aikman, John Madden, Merlin Olsen, Pat Summerall, and Tom Brookshier, spent time in lower-profile broadcasting jobs before making the "A" team. Simms himself spent one year at ESPN before joining NBC's top team with Dick Enberg in 1995 -- and they had a third man in the booth, Paul Maguire. Aikman likewise had a third man, Cris Collinsworth, for his first 3 years on Fox's top team.

Great, let him crash and burn
by Lambconnection  (2017-04-06 17:36:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I say this as a lifelong Redskins fan.

Romo to CBS #1 is equal to Mendoza on Sunday baseball
by Hometown fan  (2017-04-05 12:28:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Neither deserve it.

I like Mendoza
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-04-06 20:34:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Obviously, nobody knows how Romo will do. I have to assume CBS had him give some kind of audition before making a move as startling as this.

Bonnie Bernstein is not impressed (link)
by GolfJunkie17  (2017-04-05 10:47:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She'd be right if Simms didn't really, really suck. *
by Atlantic3  (2017-04-05 11:50:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Exactly. I'm just happy he's gone. *
by tdiddy07  (2017-04-05 12:05:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That seems to be the prevailing sentiment
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-04-06 20:35:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We don't know how good or bad Romo will be, but Simms was pretty bad, especially in recent years.

Hey, don't talk bad about "eeeemmm". *
by bigjinx74  (2017-04-06 11:34:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had Simms announced a retirement? Or,
by Hometown fan  (2017-04-04 13:34:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is he being demoted or fired?

Unclear, but it's official that Romo is replacing Simms (link)
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-04-04 19:30:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Romo went Roy Williams (OU) on Simms [v]
by knutesteen  (2017-04-04 15:04:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shortest pick-six in the history of mankind. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-04-04 22:29:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did Brian Kelly call that play? *
by rallyingson  (2017-04-04 21:57:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.