Recruiting question.
by Domer84 (2017-03-20 16:15:12)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I was having a conversation about football recruiting with some coworkers (all grads of various SEC schools). One of them had been looking at the recruiting ratings and was commenting on the fact that Notre Dame was ranked 10th this year. He was asking why Notre Dame only had 21 recruits. His SEC school regularly signs 28 to 32 kids each year. I didn't know the answer to this question.

As far as I can tell, the NCAA only allows you to sign 25 kids each year regardless of your need, correct? So, how do other schools regularly sign more than that? For example, Michigan signed 29 recruits this year.They can't enroll them all, can they? Is it that they can only give out 25 scholarships? Of course, they're still limited to 85 total scholarships so I don't see how they make the math work.I know some schools, like Alabama, ship kids off to JUCO and then bring them back for their junior year when there's been attrition in the class. But if you are regularly over signing five kids every class, that's 120 kids in four classes while only 85 can be on scholarship.

The guys I was talking with didn't know how it was done. But, as one pointed out, "It's the SEC. If you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying hard enough."

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.