Wolverine Tidbit
by ODDMAN (2017-03-15 12:02:50)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Ran across this this a.m.
Think the academic types care?

I see Mgo Azul is still off his meds. *
by sebastionmerckx  (2017-03-17 12:10:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just give it a second flush. *
by 88_92WSND  (2017-03-16 08:08:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This seems like nothing to me
by GolfJunkie17  (2017-03-15 15:34:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree Harbaugh really seems to be sleazy in the recruiting game. But, this story seems like a whole lot of nothing if you ask me (which no one did). Nothing more than a teenager being over dramatic, which isn't hard to believe. In another context, what if the kids in the camp are kneeling in a huddle, listening to a coach teach, while the kid and another guy are talking about their grades and not paying attention? Harbaugh walks by and barks at them, "I don't give a shit about your grades, pay attention to the coach!" to dial their focus in. In that context maybe he could have chosen his words better, but I doubt he's telling them "school's for fools" if you're a star athlete and they wouldn't have to worry about grades under his watch at Michigan.

An overly dramatic (or butt hurt- "I'll show that Harbaugh for showing me up and telling me to pay attention at camp") Florida recruit's quotes about Jim Harbaugh, while being interviewed by a SEC talk show, being spun as anti-Michigan/ Harbaugh if you ask me.

Agreed. I wouldn't want to hear about his grades then either *
by tdiddy07  (2017-03-17 12:35:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those were my thoughts as well *
by exquisite_corpse  (2017-03-15 15:53:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many UM fans confuse university reputation with standards
by mikeybates  (2017-03-15 12:50:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are lots of "prestigious" schools with strong athletics programs (Duke, Stanford, Michigan, UNC, UVA, Texas, etc) but they don't necessarily hold athletes to the same standards as everyone else.

Universities (especially state universities) are like small cities. In your city, the butcher, baker and candlestick maker might be the best in the land, but the crime might still be high. Similarly, the fact that Michigan has a high-ranked law school, or med school, or graduate program in this or that, is taken by Michigan fans as evidence that their athletics programs are clean. In reality, of course, there is no relation.

Not only is there no evidence that athletes are held to the same standards, but Michigan has also had UNC-style scams (see link below). I guess they can be grateful that their administration lied to the NCAA and then the NCAA backed off.

Michigan lives off the halo effect of its grad programs.
by domer4  (2017-03-15 17:50:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It just a regular large state U at undergrad, bolster solely by its ability to attract full-pay, smart out of state kids principally from the northeast.

I think more than 40% of its undergrad student body now is out of state.

It is a crummy deal for those kids but a great deal for the super-powered researchers and grad students they support but never see.

43% are out-of-state *and* tuition is $30K+ higher for them. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-15 20:14:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would you pay for that?
by domer4  (2017-03-15 22:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And while you are thinking about it, let me remind you of an ugly campus (if you call it that), no guarantees of housing in a nice dorm, multiple classes of hundreds of other students - basically you typical Big State U.

All for the "reputation" of their graduate programs?

Keep in mind, you could attend just about any private top 20 school - or any small liberal arts power like a Williams or Amherst (with class sizes around 10 or so) - for just about the same amount.

Michigan is a very good school. Being from UM in Chicago and
by Raoul  (2017-03-19 12:12:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NYC is a very solid credential. Don't let your hatred of the place let you think it isn't a top school even at the UG level. It is. Their undergrads achieve at a very high level in many industries and professions - just like Notre Dame.

P.S. Very few schools, including ND and Mich out of state, are worth the price they charge if you pay full price.

I have a cousin who grew up in northern Calif. who did
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-15 23:32:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

crew for Michigan but that was decades ago. I wonder what the cost was back then.

minimally, Harbaugh is a hypocrite
by brnd  (2017-03-15 12:36:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan is a very good school, but the desire to win big in football resulted in a developing an eligibility major so that UM could recruit athletes down to the minimum academic standards stipulated by the NCAA.

Sport Magazine (long defunct) had a hilarious article in 1987 by a writer who took a 400 level class at Michigan called Sports Management and Marketing. The class was almost entirely comprised of UM jocks, such as Jumbo Elliott. No papers, no tests, no homework. Just listen to various lecturers, such as the athletic director, and take 4 quizzes. Sample questions included:
1. Athletic administrators should be primarily concerned with 2 groups. Name them. Answer: players and coaches
2. At Michigan Stadium, a spectator can be readmitted with a visible hand stamp. True or False? Answer: False
Again, this was a 400-level course.

While coaching at Stanford, Harbaugh criticized Michigan for pushing jocks into an eligibility major (see the attached article). Other "Michigan Men" like Jamie Morris ripped Harbaugh for telling the dirty secrets of the program.

Flash forward to Harbaugh taking the Michigan job and suddenly he found the value in having such an eligibility major. Hypocrite.

The hatred of Michigan fans towards ND is partially around ND maintaining much higher standards for players (many ND players are in the #1 undergrad business school in the country, while many UM players are in remedial classes).

that was my reaction as well
by ndmaqi  (2017-03-15 14:58:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some coaches are like John Calipari, they are open and honest about not caring about the student part of student-athlete. Some coaches see themselves as the molder of men. Most are in between the two, since that is required of the job (nominally). But in the end, you'll get fired for losing games before you get fired for a drop in team GPA.

Blame Michigan and the system as much as Harbaugh.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.