Chase Hounshell on the difference between OSU and ND
by mikeybates (2017-03-14 17:59:27)
Edited on 2017-03-14 18:00:17
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

There is quite a bit in this ISD article on more competition-based practices and workouts at OSU, which is quite interesting (and, apparently, being changed here so it is more like OSU) but this was my favorite quote from the piece:

"Each program is run by the head coach. The head coach pretty much decides everything. He decides when you’re working out, how the team travels, eating and the mood in the locker room. The head coach determines a lot."

So the school at which I'm holding my pro day...
by IrishGeek  (2017-03-19 15:07:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I want you to know they do things pretty much the same as the championship level program where I just spent the last year. If they didn't, I would absolutely say so right before I return to work out there for NFL scouts.

One thing I did notice at Ohio State, and it's a subtle difference, but when the other team has the ball, they don't always score.

I wonder about tOSU's willingness to practice
by Hipster  (2017-03-19 12:03:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because we've got that part dicked according to Savvy Jack.

“I’ve said this publicly many times, but for all the disappointment, this was one of the more remarkable teams in terms of its identity. No matter how difficult this season was, this team, led by James (Onwualu) and others, demonstrated a bond and an approach to the game and an enthusiasm and a willingness to practice and a relationship with the coaches that is what you want to see in a program.
“That’s not a substitute for winning, but it is among the other things I look at.”

Also of note is that OSU's strength and conditioning coach..
by Bacchus  (2017-03-15 16:11:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...is Mick Marotti, who held the same position at ND during that golden era of 1998-2004. Those who are hoping for a step change in results on the field because we have an new S&C coach may be disappointed.

What I have said for years. Many failed assistants at ND
by btd  (2017-03-15 23:05:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

have been great when working for Meyer at FL or OSU and also for Holtz when he was at SC. Meyer couldn't save ND under Davie. The head coach can drown out even the greatest of assistants.

We typically say our OL coaches suck because we can't run block. However, it is the head coach that prevents the team from practicing running plays, not the OL coach. The head coach decides how much time is spent on special teams, not the ST coach.

the difference? 7 wins in 2016 *
by cujaysfan  (2017-03-15 11:22:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I found this quote more telling
by pmcdnd96  (2017-03-15 10:09:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Everything was thought-out at Ohio State, but I think their plan was to work you as hard as they could at all times. That was the huge difference in the programs."

So Ohio State works harder...imagine that

They're pressing their kids to work harder
by SEE  (2017-03-16 01:34:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not that I doubt that urban Meyer works harder than Brian Kelly

The best bosses I had were the ones that I knew were working
by akaRonMexico  (2017-03-16 10:00:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

harder than I was. Urban demands a lot from his coaches and his players, but they see him putting in the same effort recruiting and prepping for games so they fall in line.

Kelly is a shitty recruiter, so it is no surprise that most of his coaches aren't much better.

He seems lazy. Recruiting is about effort (if you listen to
by SEE  (2017-03-17 11:30:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mike Frank). FYI, the pregrame prep seems the same in effort, just not results.

ND's mantra is "Attention to retail." *
by Notra_Dahm  (2017-03-15 17:45:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But how's their willingness to practice? *
by 01momanor  (2017-03-15 12:24:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Taking the article at face value, lots of similarities in
by trout  (2017-03-15 02:51:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the programs with the one major difference being how hard OSU works the player.

"we didn’t have any competition going one-on-one"
by SEE  (2017-03-14 23:15:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"I think their plan was to work you as hard as they could at all times. That was the huge difference in the programs.

The workouts under Ohio State’s Mickey Marotti were intense and competition-based. You worked hard at all times of the day at Ohio State,” said Hounshell. “There was always a competition going on and eyes watching you. You’re always just in competition. There is always a winner and always a loser at Ohio State. It made a lot of kids compete.”

“At Notre Dame, we didn’t have any competition going one-on-one with someone,” stated Hounshell. “At Ohio State, you would walk into the weight room and on the board was who you were going up against for the day. There was a winner and a loser. The loser has to do some type of punishment. You are grinding out every day in the weight room trying to do better than the guy they put you against so you don’t have to do the punishment. That made guys go pretty crazy.”

Sounds like Jack Welch runs their weight room *
by ndmaqi  (2017-03-15 15:04:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.