RIP Braxston Banks - Monogram Club Corner (link)
by Gabby (2017-03-11 11:33:38)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Continuing from the thread over on Rock's House
by TahoeDweller  (2017-03-11 13:45:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I used to see Braxston in the trainer's room a lot. He was hurt quite a bit in his ND career. I remember lamenting my latest stress fracture to Big John, who was the classic tough love guy. Big John wasn't hearing it from me. He pointed to Braxston and basically said, "take a look at that guy. He's in far worse shape than you and you don't see him getting down about it. Your injuries come from overuse and his come from violent collisions."

Carpe diem, folks.

Big John. Hadn't thought of him in years.
by Austin316  (2017-03-11 23:18:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am guessing that your quote is a paraphrase as there were no f-bombs included.

Definitely a paraphrase of a 30 year old memory
by TahoeDweller  (2017-03-12 13:12:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Big John's cameo in Rudy, which I finally saw years after it gained fame, gave me a good chuckle. Picture Rudy with an ice bag on his shoulder and an overly solicitous John Whitmer asking him in a concerned voice if he's all right. He did have a soft side behind the gruff exterior which flashed every now and then but the cameo was not "in character."

I told my parents the same thing when they saw it *
by Austin316  (2017-03-12 16:59:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is a great story.
by Moff  (2017-03-11 17:10:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I forget why, but I drove down to the Purdue game with Big John Whitmer and Gene O'Neill. We stopped at some old diner on the way, which they probably frequented every time we played there. Suffice it to say it was not the most loquacious traveling party.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.