Rockne's house on St Vincent St
by meanarch (2017-03-01 22:06:27)
Edited on 2017-03-01 22:08:49
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Will it be torn down with the Eddy St expansion? If it expands south, it seems to be in the way. Just another sad upgrade to the proud ND tradition.

A little O.T. ...
by gadomer  (2017-03-02 14:14:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With all the Rockne memorabilia that is owned by ND, why hasn't the school built a museum or use a section of Crossroads for a museum to honor Rockne?

They'd need to clear it with Duke and Stanford first. Don't
by KevinPS  (2017-03-03 12:32:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

want to show too much pride in our athletic heritage after all.

I remember being concerned when they gave Gipp's
by ProV1x  (2017-03-07 09:48:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Monogram sweater to President Reagan, and watching him hand it off to someone in his entourage. I didn't find anything wrong with the made for publicity gesture to President Gipper but giving away an item as historically part of ND lore as Gipp's sweater didn't make sense to many of us.

Sure, Notre Dame got a few minutes of media hoopla out of honoring our President, but instead of the sweater being displayed at Notre Dame it is probably somewhere in the Ronald Reagan Library in California, or at least I hope that's where it is.

This opinion is not only that of myself but many of us oldtimers who care about things like this but understand it might not be a major concern of the rank and file ND fan today.

If I had the connections, I'd ask for the sweater back with the promise that the sweater and it's significant connection to President Reagan would receive more attention in a proper display at Notre Dame, where the real Gipper played, than it does among thousands of Reagan memorabilia items in California. Come to think of it maybe this has already been done, I don't have a clue.

The good news is that it is prominently displayed at Library
by Moff  (2017-03-07 21:46:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A buddy, although a Penn State grad, made sure to send me a photo when he visited. The bad news is that there were articles in 1989 where the people who donated it to ND were pissed off and wanted it back, but it never happened. I had the same feelings as you at the time. I remember it being displayed in one of those glass cases in the ACC, back when the concourse was mostly dedicated to football. Unfortunately, I agree that the passion for Rockne is faded and it would be hard to get a rise out of anyone today. I like to remember when I first rolled up ND avenue and there were still people who knew him

The Archives should run a museum.
by IrishJosh24  (2017-03-02 16:06:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There has to be a ton of interesting stuff for Notre Dame students, alumni, and fans to see. Original signed documents by Fr. Sorin, Rockne memorabilia, other football memorabilia, artwork, old ND advertising and publications.

I'd sure go.

As would I ...
by gadomer  (2017-03-02 21:32:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There was a family from Los Angeles who donated their entire Rockne collection to ND in the 1980's (IIRC). It was massive and as I recall shipped in a couple of 18-wheelers.

They don't have many images available, but see within...
by Kbyrnes  (2017-03-02 19:21:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...They have a fairly sizable number of letters and documents online. See the link. There's also a University site with a limited number of photos: University of Notre Dame Archives.

The University of Chicago has a fine collection that you can look at online: University of Chicago Photographic Archive. It has many thousands of historic photos of buildings, grounds, student activities, past visitors (like Mary Pickford!); old pics of faculty, students, staff, administration; and more. That would be a nice model for us to emulate.

Thanks for passing those links along.
by IrishJosh24  (2017-03-02 19:57:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've spent some time poking around the Archives for pictures and documents. And I recently even talked to some folks at the Archives for the first time--trying to determine the authenticity of a Fr. Sorin signature in a book from 1885 [reproduced as part of the book apparently*] and to determine the identity of a student who sent about 25 postcards I have from 1906-07. They were extremely helpful.

But, for me at least, there is something about seeing things in person that cannot be replicated online. Seeing a document that Fr. Sorin actually held in his hands and signed himself, for example, evokes something deeper than seeing an image of a document he signed online does. I believe the Archives has some really cool artifacts that could be displayed (e.g., the wool blankets that that Clashmore Mikes wore, signed Fr. Sorin letters, old monogram sweaters, pre-Rockne football memorabilia, correspondence between Rockne and athletic apparel providers, etc.). I would love for it to be displayed in some kind of ND museum.

* I had figured it was reproduced. But I had occasion to look at it a few days ago and realized the paper was indented, which gave me some hope. Alas . . .

Have you visited the museum in Sacred Heart?
by Moff  (2017-03-07 21:47:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for those that haven't, there is some amazing stuff in there belonging to Sorin and many of the others with names on buildings. It was closed the last time I was out there, but one of the ushers was nice enough to open it up for the kids to see.

I hate to say it, but no.
by IrishJosh24  (2017-03-08 12:27:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It sounds like a place I'd love to see. I'll try to check it out the next time I'm on campus . . . whenever that is.

I'm going on five years since I was last on campus, with no clear idea when the streak will end (unfortunately).

Or they could auction it off.
by SWPaDem  (2017-03-02 18:34:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For cash.

I assume this post is tongue-in-cheek.
by IrishJosh24  (2017-03-02 20:03:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't want them to sell any of the artifacts they have.* And I think it's extremely valuable for them to preserve these documents and artifacts. But why not display some of it? They could loan some of it to local museums for shows or something. (Maybe they do that. I'm not local, so I don't know. The impression I got from a recent conversation was that they never display any of the items in the Archives.) Why put so much effort into preserving it if no one ever gets to see it? They are just storing amazing things that--I have to assume--lots of Notre Dame fans would love to see. Heck, they'd probably pay just to see it!

*Okay, I suppose that isn't entirely true. I'd love to own some of the items they have. But I understand why they should keep them at least.

Guilty as charged.
by SWPaDem  (2017-03-02 22:03:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they seem to have no trouble selling off more intangible items such as previously hard-earned integrity, prestige, and independece in a vain, misguided, groveling effort for aspirational inclusion.

No argument from me on those points. (Sadly.) *
by IrishJosh24  (2017-03-03 10:49:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope not
by ndtnguy  (2017-03-02 10:51:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a beautiful house, and unless they have since moved, owned by a ND family. Indeed, the wife is a descendant of ... oh, I have forgotten exactly: someone notable from Rockne's teams.

Probably not, based on slide 8 at the link. The house is
by rick  (2017-03-02 08:19:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

west of the area on the slide.
Edited to correct location.

Most likely you're right. The address is 1006 St. Vincent..
by Kbyrnes  (2017-03-02 11:40:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...on the south side of the street between Frances Street to the west and Eddy Street to the east. That places it on the very eastern border of the area designated R-1, where the "approach" is described as "spot redevelopment" with some new construction, some rehab.

The current owner's name can be found by going to the county map viewer site and searching the address.

Looks like it, doesn't it? Walsh69 can confirm, plus the
by RocketShark  (2017-03-02 00:23:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

house his family owned as well I suppose.

My understanding is that Rock's house at 1006 and my
by Walsh69  (2017-03-04 20:52:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

grandfather's former house at 1004 St. Vincent St should not be affected. I will confirm this with the current owner of Rock's second home.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.