From today's Observer
by ODDMAN (2017-02-28 08:55:32)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Note Jenkins' comments re: University Athletics near the end of article.

1)Integrity
2The athletes/students
3)Championships

One might say "I'm all in, when do we start?"

Those are the most notable quotes to come out of a
by Carlos Huerta  (2017-02-28 11:20:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

town hall on athletics? Did they take any questions? It would be nice if some departing seniors asked the leadership to explain to them why their four year time at ND that included only five wins over ranked teams (with the second best win being over a #18 Navy team) along with 20 losses (8 to teams who finished unranked) is acceptable. And then laughed at the answer given and walked out.

So... what has BK done?
by BmoreIrish  (2017-02-28 11:18:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd give him an 0 for 3. Makes sense that he's still here.

Exactly: We were darn near 3 for 3 for 150+ years prior to
by Irish72  (2017-03-03 13:23:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK and JS, 0 for 3 during their tenure, yet they are still here.

They've failed at two of the three.
by NDBass  (2017-02-28 09:01:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's all hat, no cattle.

Which one has football succeeded at in the last five years? *
by tdiddy07  (2017-02-28 10:17:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I actually thought about that.
by NDBass  (2017-02-28 12:15:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While the cheating that resulted in the failure of integrity also impacts the student/athlete part, I thought it was unfair to fail the student/athlete part totally because some student athletes have been tremendous.

Maybe I'm getting soft as I get older, but I consider it more grading on a curve. So maybe they've really failed 2.8653 out of 3.

I'd take off points for developing the student athlete for
by tdiddy07  (2017-02-28 13:43:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

consistently failing to put public pressure on crooked police behavior. The raid that got Yeatman cited (though 10 years ago now) was crap. And the fact that Butler was forced to plea is an indictment on in loco parentis. If the university believed in fighting for justice, that case would've been dismissed. The entire police report was fabricated by a crooked cop.

The university only likes to fight as long as it won't upset anyone. Bunch of pussies. Piss on Eddie Shore.

That's a good point.
by NDBass  (2017-02-28 14:23:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was thinking more in terms of the product of the student athletes themselves, not specifically what the university is doing for them. Not protecting them when necessary is definitely a negative.

That said, they did appear to reject the excise police.
by tdiddy07  (2017-02-28 14:49:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And like most things they do, they prefer to do it quietly. But from conversations of someone who would be in the know, they seemed to take a stand on that.

But the Butler situation particularly upsets me because it's a huge problem throughout the country that needs a credible champion. And it's the type of situation in which it should've been easy to get public pressure on with a victim that is more sympathetic than those special interest groups have tried to paint as the face of a problem--efforts that have largely failed because they were done prematurely. The sheer implausibility of the police report given his physical state and the conflicting eyewitness accounts made a very cut and dried case that would go a long way to convince many people who generally do not believe police submit false reports like that.

That's just nitpicking, isn't it?
by Moff  (2017-02-28 10:23:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't be sad. One of three ain't bad. *
by Moff  (2017-02-28 10:15:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm pretty sure Meat Loaf would disagree.
by SWPaDem  (2017-02-28 10:26:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.