The AFCA just proposed a new eligibility rule.
by miamioh_irishfan (2017-01-11 13:18:59)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

@WeAreAFCA #AFCA proposes a new eligibility model, still 5 years to play 4, but if athlete plays less than 4 games in a season can be redshirted.

If this means without regard for injury then you could play freshmen in blowouts and not worry about burning his redshirt. Or am I reading that wrong?

I thought it used to be
by Vairish84  (2017-01-12 10:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that as long as you did not appear after the first 25% of the games (in an 11 game season second half of third game or with a bowl the entire third game), you could get a redshirt. There may have been a minute limitation.

I like the idea.

That only applies in the event of an injury.
by Mr Wednesday  (2017-01-12 12:43:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the event of a season-ending injury appearing in fewer games than 25% of the schedule originally, 30% now I believe, you can apply for a hardship waiver to get back the year of eligibility.

There is no limitation on number of minutes.

You dont "burn a redshirt" if you play as a frosh.
by 84david  (2017-01-11 16:54:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can redshirt any year. Brey has redshirted
sophs several times.

Wimbush just redshirted his soph year *
by Doggie  (2017-01-11 21:51:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well it will certainly lead to some interesting situations..
by TWO  (2017-01-11 15:13:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Ole Miss pulled the RS off of Shea Patterson to play very late in the year after Kelly went down. He played in the last 3 regular season games and the bowl game so he doesn't qualify having played 4 games. But there are certainly times when late in the year it would be nice to be able to play a freshman and not blow his RS, esp in a bowl game.

If they implemented this rule
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-01-11 15:17:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In conjunction with a greyshirt crackdown they would solve roster depth/management issues for both SEC programs who abuse greyshirts and smaller programs who don't have that luxury.

I'm against this rule as it again favors teams that have
by akaRonMexico  (2017-01-11 13:56:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

good coaches who routinely blow teams out. As long as BK is our coach, we still won't be able to build any depth.

We can build depth in the last four games though
by JimmyIrish  (2017-01-11 14:35:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we start a season 4-4 or worse, we can start a bunch of true freshmen who otherwise would have sat the entire year, without affecting their redshirts.

'less than four games', so play in three is how I read it. *
by Newt  (2017-01-12 10:05:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that must be it...
by navyjoe  (2017-01-11 13:43:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because they can already play 3 and red-shirt if they're injured.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.