Winning TD Play last night.
by IM4NDRU (2017-01-10 12:02:59)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Cartier Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Anyone in the media talk about it as a pick play? I only saw it on replay this morning, but it sure looked a lot like the play in the FSU game (Golson to Robinson) where we got called for offensive pass interference. Maybe ND is the only one that gets that call, and they don't call it in National Championship Games. Herbie and Fowler were sure squealing about OPI when ND got the call in that FSU game.

ND is the only team that gets called for pick plays and...
by BeastOfBourbon  (2017-01-10 19:36:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

targeting. I believe there's a special section about it in the NCAA rulebook.

Of course it's a pick play / Deshaun said as much
by ndzippy  (2017-01-10 12:34:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His quote after the game:

“We knew that they were going to play cover zero when we were inside the 5,” Watson told ESPN’s Tom Rinaldi. “And all we needed was a good pick by TE (Jordan Leggett). And TE picked ’em and (Hunter) Renfrow got inside the end zone, and I just threw the ball where we could make sure he caught it. And that’s what he did."

Just like players signalling 1st down & roughing the center,
by MackerelSnappingAnarchist  (2017-01-10 13:18:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND is the only school I ever seem to see get flagged.

I don't see the difference in the two plays.
by Tex Francisco  (2017-01-10 12:16:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From an officials point of view
by GWINNETTIRISH  (2017-01-12 15:16:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a little difference in the two plays. On the play vs Florida State, our offense picks the defender, who if you are looking at the formation, is the one to guard Robinson. One the Clemson play that WR looks to run a slant route, NOT a straight ahead run it looks like the DB engages him.

You will not get away with blocking the person that has the WR in coverage at the snap of the ball. In the Clemson game no one tried to block the guy who had coverage of the player catching the winning TD pass. I know it sucks but that is how it is called.

Officials point of view
by Irishnut63  (2017-01-12 22:29:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disagree totally. The Fla St defenders engaged our receivers too on that play. Clemson clearly committed two offensive pass interference plays in the game. They just weren't called. The enforcement was also incorrect on the defensive pass interference play prior to the game winning score.
Additionally it was a late flag.

Posting this confirms it. The world hates ND. There is no
by eriendfan  (2017-01-10 14:24:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

difference in the plays except that the Ref called it against ND and no one else gets called for it.

I did not hear Kurt going on and on about the illegality of the play last night like he did when it happened to ND. My God, the "experts" just could not talk enough about how it was the perfect example of illegal when ND did it - just like the A-hole commentating on the video you posted.

Not a word last night. Anyone from Alabama who raises the issue is called a whiner. Which is good because they called us all whiners when it happened to us. Nice to have some payback here.

The worst part about seeing our play again...
by Kbyrnes  (2017-01-10 14:09:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...is thinking that if Robinson had hung just behind the LOS, it would have been legal...

...and the foul would have been called anyway.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.