leaving public accounting
by thesixthgreatlake (2015-03-11 13:31:15)

I've spent eight years with a big 4 firm in audit. I'm facing the realities that the long-promised carrot of better work/life balance and comp is either never arriving or still a long ways away, respectively.

My question is this. For those who left, what is the best time to jump? Am I too far in (experienced manager)? If I go to market, what are the kind of jobs that provide the best dynamic of using skills but also expanding beyond my audit experience.

Thanks!

What types of roles are you interested in?
by EricCartman  (2015-03-17 11:04:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like you, I spent seven years at two different Big 4 firms. From what I have seen, there isn't a perfect time to move. I you are fed up with 60+ hour work weeks and constant travel, then you should contact a recruiter and start exploring your options.

This is where a recruiter comes in handy, they will be able to give you insight into the types of roles that you qualify for. Most of the people that I know that left audit as a Manager left for a corporate accounting role or a controller position.