Swarbrick was hired in the summer of 2008
by Domer99 (2016-05-26 17:40:03)

In reply to: I don't know how I'd answer this question ...  posted by CJC

Not sure if that changes things under your question but I'll note the following did happen since, and this is by no means necessarily trying to give him credit for the listed events:

> Arlotta stadium open in 2009;
> Compton Family arena open in 2011;
> Purcell Renovation open in 2009;
> LaBar Football Practice Fields open in fall 2008;
> Alumni Stadium open in 2009;
> Castellan Family Fencing Center open in 2012;
> Women's Rowing Indoor Facility open in 2013.

If Swarbrick (or I guess you could substitute administration) is given blame for the lack of a standalone practice facility, how does one parse credit for facilities developments in other sports?

Like I said, some of these were started or at least agreed to before Jack took over. But it is interesting to compare the facilities development that took place under his predecessor (Wadsworth too).

But coupled with the above, I think Men's lax is in a definitively better place than when Jack arrived. 1 FF appearance prior to 2010, 4 since. To your point, Corrigan was there before Jack arrived, but they certainly weren't as successful as they've been after.

Hockey has 2 Frozen 4 appearances. 1 before Jack, 1 after. But before Jack, the Irish had 3 NCAA appearances (total) and 5 since. Again, Jack didn't hire Jeff Jackson.

Men's soccer is a better program now (or at least it earned it's only national title since Swarbrick's hire). Again, not a Swarbrick hire, either.

Women's basketball is clearly a consistently elite program now, versus a very competitive one before Swarbrick.

I think there are a number of programs in better shape. I guess a more interesting question is which programs are worse. Women's soccer. Fencing? Yet, still pretty strong. Softball? But by the slightest of margins. Even baseball is slightly better (at worse neutral) than from the Schrage era.

I don't know how many sports you can say are successful in spite of him, maybe men's basketball? But even Kayo has talked about the increases in the men's operating budgets under Jack. It's an easier case to make that the athletic department is neutral to slightly better than it is to say otherwise. Where one wants to rate his impact is debatable, but I'd lean toward something in between "neither" and "due to" before I'd contemplate "in spite of."

But I am not sure these programs get better on their own. Could all of these changes happened organically? I guess? But these programs have had coaches that were at Notre Dame for a while, yet still improved later. If it were so easy, why wasn't it happening under White? Probably a lot of nuance involved in parsing this out, but good thought provoking exercise