I'm not sure anyone truly knows a lot about the
by cbo86 (2016-05-18 07:38:29)
Edited on 2016-05-18 09:49:44

In reply to: Aside from the fact that we haven't done much w/ this staff  posted by oggie

baseball program. I'm a baseball guy that loves ND baseball but its just not promoted much. I wasn't even able to get a media guide the last couple years. However, in my opinion we've hit our ceiling with Aoki. I think we have a tournament team this year but it's just so flat much of the time. Also, I don't see marked improvement of players from season to season that I think we should.
I always point to base running as an example of poor coaching and we have been consistently awful at it under Aoki. I turned on the NC game the other night and with bases loaded with 1 out down 7-0 the runner on first was on the move. Line drive DP to first. Why were the runners on the move in that situation? I teach my players to "sit down" until line drives get through the infield esp a line drive to the base that the runner in on. There is a difference between being aggressive on the base paths and just being dumb. I turned the game off at that point out of sheer frustration at the base running.
This program is a valuable commodity to Notre Dame athletics and we should be able to attract a decent coach that can raise the profile like Murphy and Mainieri even if he has designs on eventually moving on to a bigger program.