Baseball schedule is out
by TerryD (2015-12-02 07:47:34)
Edited on 2015-12-02 07:48:00

ND opens with a three game series at Santa Clara on 2/19.

The two games with LSU...at Frank Eck...are interesting. LSU never travels that far.

The Irish Alamo Classic field in San Antonio looks....light. So does the field at the USA Irish Classic in North Carolina (maybe it is just me that thinks so).

ND has only 11 games prior to its home opener. Usually, it is around 15.

The non-conference schedule should be lighter than the past
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2015-12-07 16:25:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ACC is a completely different conference world than the Big East, so some "cupcakes" early on are probably needed to help the overall record attractive....at least in a long term scheduling scenario.

The season starts and ends later this year than last
by ShermanOaksND  (2015-12-04 10:51:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But ND's spring break is at about the same time as last year (March 5-13) (it will be from the 11th to 19th in 2017). ND's home opener is right after spring break, which is typical. So that accounts for the home opener falling earlier on the schedule than usual. However, there are only 3 home games in March, the last being Oregon on the 31st -- I don't recall them on past schedules. I had assumed this fell during Oregon's spring break, but it's right after, and Oregon's schedule isn't out so I don't know if it's part of a longer trip for them.

There are 17 home games in April and 9 in May. The LSU series is right after finals, and reminds me of past May midweek series against USC and Miami back in the Mainieri era. Of course, Mainieri is now at LSU.

Two other notes: ND won't play on Easter for the first time since joining the ACC -- the series at Va. Tech is Thursday-Friday-Saturday. And the penultimate series at UNC is Friday-Saturday-Monday, which would enable seniors to make a quick trip back to campus for Commencement and then right back to Chapel Hill. I wonder if that was to accommodate them and/or for television (UNC's commencement is the previous weekend).