Former neighbor of the Hickeys
by metro5domer (2013-02-28 08:06:39)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Jake's Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: ND 1st baseman & '43 Kaneley Award winner passes away at 90  posted by Hickster

I hardly ever go to the baseball thread but for some reason I did tonight. I saw your post about your father and I was moved to write. I have lurked on this board for the better part of ten years but have never posted. I never thought I could add much to the conversation but always enjoy the heck out of reading everybody’s thoughts.

When I was a senior at Notre Dame, I lived off campus at 1034 Eddy Street. The house no longer exists but the memories do. Our neighbors were a wonderful elderly couple – Mr. and Mrs. Hickey. We weren’t the quietest neighbors and they put up with quite a bit but they never objected to our shenanigans. The neighborhood wasn’t the safest and they would watch the house for us when we were gone on breaks. They would occasionally ask how things we going with our school life and would tell us stories about the old days of Notre Dame.

On the occasion of my graduation, they gave each of my roommates and me a wooden crucifix made from wood around Notre Dame and from Sacred Heart Church. They also gave each of our parents a small rosary made from St. Joseph corn. These items are proudly displayed in my “Notre Dame” room at home. They remind me of the specialness of Notre Dame and our neighbors my senior year.

Reading the story of your dad makes me think they might be relatives of yours. Could they have been your grandparents?

In any event, your father sounds like a man of great faith and works. You are justified to be so proud. I pray for the repose of his soul and speedy path to heaven where hopefully we can all meet someday.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.