ND 1st baseman & '43 Kaneley Award winner passes away at 90
by Hickster (2013-02-26 21:02:12)
Edited on 2013-02-27 08:29:35
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Jake's Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

You will find a linked article of the '43 Byron V. Kanaley Award winner and ND 1st baseman who passed away this past Sunday night.

I believe that John Hickey was the 2nd ND baseball player to win the Byron V. Kaneley Award in 1943...Kaneley was a baseball player and the award was first presented in 1927.

In addition to the information in the article, he also played baseball for one of the military teams stationed on Hawaii during WWII. His team had multiple professional baseball players serving in the miltary in Hawaii during WWII. He was the only officer on the team that won the Island Military Championship with a 19-1 record.

After WWII he returned to ND to complete his studies. One of his most cherished memories was his taking Father Ted Hesburgh's theology class when he returned to ND after WWII.

While in South Bend he stayed active in sports and had the chance to face Satchell Page in a summer semi-pro league game. He did not get a hit, but he was able to get some wood on the ball.

He cherished his memories at ND, and was a constant visitor to the Grotto. He used to go to the Grotto before his exams...and I wish I spent more time at the Grotto and was able to get similar results. He graduated #2 in his entire university class...and the individual who graduated #1 in his class was also in the School of Commerce.

In addition to the information in the linked article, below is enclosed a link to a picture of him with Frank Leahy at Pearl Harbor during WWII.

In later years he stayed active in tennis and his partner for 35 years was not only a Nobel Laureate but also a Laetare Medal recepient...a Holy Cross man that was a natural Domer.

I still remember that ND baseball won the BE Tournament Championship in Bridgewater, NJ on May 24, 2002...his birthday and he got a big kick out of listening to the presentation of the award on my cell phone.

Thanks for being there for us Dad! You have always been #1 in class as far as I am concerned! God bless and as he would say, "Go Irish!"

ND - Pearl Harbor Picture:
http://magazine.nd.edu/news/27761-nd-monogram-winners-in-pearl-harbor-1945/

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.